Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Forgive the ignorance, I thought the cat was IN the muffler in the first portion after the 90. Isn't the muffler the same for RS/RT? I thought ecu adaptation was a wives tale promoted by a hindle break in procedure? Learning here guys, don't flame me.

Oh and the RS has a 80db EPA stamp on the inner portion by bike frame. My HMF is 95 db at idle, over 105 at rev.
    Last edited by Tierhog; 07-27-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    Forgive the ignorance, I thought the cat was IN the muffler in the first portion after the 90. Isn't the muffler the same for RS/RT? I thought ecu adaptation was a wives tale promoted by a hindle break in procedure? Learning here guys, don't flame me.

Oh and the RS has a 80db EPA stamp on the inner portion by bike frame. My HMF is 95 db at idle, over 105 at rev.
    The mufflers are different. The RS has the cat inside the muffler. The RT has a separate cat.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzi View Post
    DR Buck,
    I'm still in the testing phase, wanna make sure everything is well before putting it on the market.
    The kit i have on mine sounds just like an RS with one of my pipes on it.
    So far i can report, the range on my last fillup was 185 miles with one bar to spare. Light didnt came on yet.
    That was cruising through the mountains, about 40 miles on the interstate and city driving.
    I'll be at Lamonts BBQ and i will have the kit on mine, so if you're able to make it there you can see for your self.
    Hey All !!!

As said before, I'm in !!!!
    I for one would love to get rid of my cat.....
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Lamont's BBQ?

I'll be at Lamonts BBQ and i will have the kit on mine, so if you're able to make it there you can see for your self.
    btw, when is the BBQ?
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Default BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    btw, when is the BBQ?
    I think it is Sep. 6-8
    My Spyder Mods:
    Head light and Fog light 100 watt HID,
    all other lights converted to LED,
    LED accent lights everywhere
    Superior Air Horns (153db)
    Ultimate Seat
    Glo Riders,
    Ram mount cup holder, phone holder, ipad holder,
    Back up cam with monitor
    Spyder1Attitude Exhaust
    http://spyder1attitude.com/

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat removal

A local muffler shop removed my cat and custom made a "Y" insert. The total cost $129. Just pulled a trailer for 868 miles and averaged 32 miles per gallon. Passenger was very happy at the lack of heat burning her feet. No tune up required. This is one of the best, if not best, change made to the spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Where's the shop

[QUOTE=medicineman48;516460]A local muffler shop removed my cat and custom made a "Y" insert. The total cost $129.]

Can or will they make this to be shipped or must they fit it there, very interested in doing the same on my RT

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BlueLine;516784]
    Quote Originally Posted by medicineman48 View Post
    A local muffler shop removed my cat and custom made a "Y" insert. The total cost $129.]

Can or will they make this to be shipped or must they fit it there, very interested in doing the same on my RT
    Ditto here, i'd pay more than that just for the pipe.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

How much louder is the RT with no cat?

Spyder Garage

Default RT Cat-Bypass is here!!!

REDUCE THE HEAT AT YOUR FEET!

RT Cat-Bypass is now available at
    www.spyder1attitude.com
    My Spyder Mods:
    Ultimate Seat
    Glo Riders,
    Back up cam with monitor
    Spyder1Attitude Exhaust

Spyder Garage

REDUCE THE HEAT AT YOUR FEET!

RT Cat-Bypass is now available at
    www.spyder1attitude.com
    Is it made of gold or platinum?
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Now that's funny!!! At $849 I thought the same thing......lol

Spyder Garage

Default GREAD

​I THINK ITS good now
    Last edited by PAPA G; 10-03-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

. Survey says. for few more dollars, should be able to guarantee "No Popping". IMHO, anytime to allow the flow of hot-air to accumulate in any restrictive manner...aka..2into1, you will have heat accumulation. I didnot see a photo, in the link to the site. I'm sure that the piping is created to decrease the restrictive flow. Surely would like to see a photo..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    . Survey says. for few more dollars, should be able to guarantee "No Popping". IMHO, anytime to allow the flow of hot-air to accumulate in any restrictive manner...aka..2into1, you will have heat accumulation. I didnot see a photo, in the link to the site. I'm sure that the piping is created to decrease the restrictive flow. Surely would like to see a photo..
    Cats are made to create substantial heat in order to better oxidize the exhaust gasses. The closer the cat is to the cylinder, the better it will function. Difficult to set up on a motorcycle and it's probably why ours are so large because of where it's mounted. Had they wrapped the exhaust, it probably could have been a smaller unit and still passed Leftyfornia requirements. The extra gas burned with the increased weight and restriction negates a good portion of the cats environmental benefit in our case. The replacement needs to be nothing more than a Y-pipe to connect the 2 cylinder exhaust pipes to the existing muffler. Surprisingly, there actually is platinum in most cat converters and sometimes even gold. Not sure why they priced it so high. I was really wanting this and jumped right over to their site to order it figuring it would be two to three hundred bucks. Guess it's a small market and you have to recover your R&D. Hopefully as the number of RTs increase and someone else jumps on the bandwagon, the price will decrease.
    2012 Spyder RT

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Cats are made to create substantial heat in order to better oxidize the exhaust gasses. The closer the cat is to the cylinder, the better it will function. Difficult to set up on a motorcycle and it's probably why ours are so large because of where it's mounted. Had they wrapped the exhaust, it probably could have been a smaller unit and still passed Leftyfornia requirements. The extra gas burned with the increased weight and restriction negates a good portion of the cats environmental benefit in our case. The replacement needs to be nothing more than a Y-pipe to connect the 2 cylinder exhaust pipes to the existing muffler. Surprisingly, there actually is platinum in most cat converters and sometimes even gold. Not sure why they priced it so high. I was really wanting this and jumped right over to their site to order it figuring it would be two to three hundred bucks. Guess it's a small market and you have to recover your R&D. Hopefully as the number of RTs increase and someone else jumps on the bandwagon, the price will decrease.
    Considering there is a post where someone had one made at a local shop for $129, the price, even with ceramic coating is way beyond what I will pay. I would have jumped on an order if it was $300 or less. But as it stands now, this winter I'm heading to the local shop and have one made using "stainless steel".
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Now that's funny!!! At $849 I thought the same thing......lol

Maybe it takes into consideration the gas, food & lodging for a round trip to Greer, SC & the accompanying labor to have it "professionally installed"?
    But on the positive side - maybe the coffee & doughnuts are free while you wait!

Sorry Schultzi but at $850 + tax & shipping I will gladly pass on this mod..... Seriously though, WHY so expensive!?????

Spyder Garage

Guy’s,
    I can understand your concern about the price, but there is a little more involved to get a product ready for production as to go to your local muffler shop and let someone try to fit a piece of pipe in place of the CAT.
    If it would be that easy to replace the CAT with some pipes, I'm sure a lot of you would have done it already or some other company would come out with a similar product.

The R&D involved to make it a bolt on application coming with all the hardware and gaskets is quite substantial.
    Also making it an application and Not having to buy additional fuel management equipment was the goal.
    As you know, the Spyder is not an easy piece of equipment to work on and to make sure the computer not putting any error codes out is a priority.
    Additional perks are free shipping and handling and taxes included in the price to make it a flat fee price.

Spyder1Attitude is a very small business and quite young as well.
    We try to offer great products, easy installation without special mechanical skills required and reasonable priced.

So, I ask you guy’s – what would be a reasonable price for this kit?

Be fair!

Thanks for your input and comments
    My Spyder Mods:
    Ultimate Seat
    Glo Riders,
    Back up cam with monitor
    Spyder1Attitude Exhaust

Spyder Garage

I might pay $200 but beyond that I could not justify it.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Converter Bypass

I agree with DR Buck, around the $300-$350 Range

Spyder Garage

On the high end, I would pay $499.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking that $449 would be a fair price.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default Fair Price

Let us be honest....according to Google an actual catalytic converter for most cars & trucks ranges from $100 - $250. Paying more then that for what is in essence a Y-pipe cat-bypass is hard to swallow especially in these tough economic times. Again, this is a cat-bypass designed to eliminate the cat itself.

I do recognize and applaud you in your endeavor but it MUST also be priced to move from your shop to the end use customer (Spyder Owner). True you are not likely to have the "volume" as an auto or truck shop would but your price needs to be comparable without a customer suffering sticker shock!

Spyder Garage

The Y-pipe with cat converter is a complex piece on the Spyder, so I can understand the cost for a somewhat less complex replacement. The MSRP in the OEM part is $782.49 USD, so I don't think the market will support an even higher cost for a straight-thru replacement...especially in aluminized steel rather than stainless. When even the OEM muffler, and all the aftermarket units I have seen, are priced lower still, it is difficult to justify nearly a grand for a "pipe". I hope for your sake I am wrong, I know how hard you have worked on this, and what is involved. It is a hard sell, though.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default "Y" Only

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Let us be honest....according to Google an actual catalytic converter for most cars & trucks ranges from $100 - $250. Paying more then that for what is in essence a Y-pipe cat-bypass is hard to swallow especially in these tough economic times. Again, this is a cat-bypass designed to eliminate the cat itself.

I do recognize and applaud you in your endeavor but it MUST also be priced to move from your shop to the end use customer (Spyder Owner). True you are not likely to have the "volume" as an auto or truck shop would but your price needs to be comparable without a customer suffering sticker shock!
    Guess I'll try the exhaust fabricators in Trade-A-Plane to see if we can find a more comfortable price alternative.