Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Catalytic Converter Bypass

OK, I'm not looking for a lecture on the environmental benefits of a catalytic converter. Here in VA catalytic converters are not required on motorcycles and I'm looking for a way to shed some of the obscene heat that radiates from the Spyder. So the question is, other than the few that have posted having made their own bypass pipes, is anyone manufacturing after market bypasses for the RT? I was thinking of just pulling the cat converter and taking it to an exhaust shop and have them build me a drop-in replacement bypass.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do that.... Could you please post some diagrams and measurements of what gets built??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you do that.... Could you please post some diagrams and measurements of what gets built??
    Better yet, have some extra y pipes made and we'll buy them from you at a reasonable profit.
    2012 Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default bypass

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    OK, I'm not looking for a lecture on the environmental benefits of a catalytic converter. Here in VA catalytic converters are not required on motorcycles and I'm looking for a way to shed some of the obscene heat that radiates from the Spyder. So the question is, other than the few that have posted having made their own bypass pipes, is anyone manufacturing after market bypasses for the RT? I was thinking of just pulling the cat converter and taking it to an exhaust shop and have them build me a drop-in replacement bypass.
    If you do that, make sure you get you some new gasketts for the down pipes. they're hard to get out and you're not able to reuse them. I build a kit for my RT and is working fine. Trying to build a kit for aftermarket use. Doing some testing to see what kind of improvments i'm gonna get out of it, before putting it on the website. (www.spyder1attitude.com)
    What kinda muffler you'll be using? Gonna be much louder then stock.
    Are you coming to Lamont's BBQ? I'll be there and you can see my mod and listen to it.
    My Spyder Mods:
    Head light and Fog light 100 watt HID,
    all other lights converted to LED,
    LED accent lights everywhere
    Superior Air Horns (153db)
    Ultimate Seat
    Glo Riders,
    Ram mount cup holder, phone holder, ipad holder,
    Back up cam with monitor
    Spyder1Attitude Exhaust
    http://spyder1attitude.com/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Better yet, have some extra y pipes made and we'll buy them from you at a reasonable profit.
    Count me in too !!!!
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Same here

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

I have been wondering about this too, anyone know if engine will have to be re-tuned?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe Schultzi can answer this one...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzi View Post
    If you do that, make sure you get you some new gasketts for the down pipes. they're hard to get out and you're not able to reuse them. I build a kit for my RT and is working fine. Trying to build a kit for aftermarket use. Doing some testing to see what kind of improvments i'm gonna get out of it, before putting it on the website. (www.spyder1attitude.com)
    Are you coming to Lamont's BBQ? I'll be there and you can see my mod and listen to it.
    So you're saying even running the stock exhaust and bypassing the CC it would be considerably louder?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well the converter has to have some noise-cancelling effect; it's in the mainstream of the exhaust...
    I'm curious as to just how much of a difference it makes.

Spyder Garage

You must have missed the when to ride lecture?

Don't you know we're supposed to park our Spyders and only ride them in the cool of the morning or evening?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzi View Post
    Maybe I'll just wait for your kit. What's your target date for hitting the market? I hadn't considered changing the muffler. I kind of like the looks of the stock muffler. It goes well with the RT style.

If I do go to have one built, it will be during the winter when the Spyder will be garaged, so if someone else hit the market with one, I'm all for it.

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Spyder Garage

Well the converter has to have some noise-cancelling effect; it's in the mainstream of the exhaust...
    I'm curious as to just how much of a difference it makes.
    Back in the day.... we use to just hollow them out on cars and re-install.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    So you're saying even running the stock exhaust and bypassing the CC it would be considerably louder?
    I have removed the Cat from my RT and replaced it with a really nice looking stainless Y pipe that was custom made. It was done by my dealer and the mechanic is a real craftsman. The sound is fantastic with the Cat gone, has some real attitude now but not super loud, it's deeper and throatier. I have left the standard muffler on as I think that the shape of it suits the bike. The standard muffler doesn't seem at all restrictive with the cat off, I think most of the restriction is in the cat. The weight of the cat is like a concrete block, unbelievable. I have also put the chrome front and rear on the muffler and it looks awesome. I am not going to fit an aftermarket slip on as I have a nice sound, great looks and improved performance with what I have done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dgnspyder View Post
    I have removed the Cat from my RT and replaced it with a really nice looking stainless Y pipe that was custom made. It was done by my dealer and the mechanic is a real craftsman. The sound is fantastic with the Cat gone, has some real attitude now but not super loud, it's deeper and throatier. I have left the standard muffler on as I think that the shape of it suits the bike. The standard muffler doesn't seem at all restrictive with the cat off, I think most of the restriction is in the cat. The weight of the cat is like a concrete block, unbelievable. I have also put the chrome front and rear on the muffler and it looks awesome. I am not going to fit an aftermarket slip on as I have a nice sound, great looks and improved performance with what I have done.

What was the cost of having the pipes made? Did you have to purchase new can-am gaskets? Any re-tuning of the engine?

My Mods -

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOUDNESS / NOISE

The catalytic converter probably does more to quiet the exhaust than the muffler does......Mike....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you have to purchase new can-am gaskets? Any re-tuning of the engine?
    Does it appear that the bike is running leaner?

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Removed

What was the cost of having the pipes made? Did you have to purchase new can-am gaskets? Any re-tuning of the engine?
    The cost to have the stainless pipe made was $617 (NZ dollars). I did not need new gaskets but my bike had only done 1500kms. At the time some people on this forum expressed the view that it may need a power commander fitted. I feel that it doesn't need it, but that is not to say that it may improve the performance some more with one fitted. I simply don't know as I haven't tried one. My dealer is pretty experienced with Spyders and he made the comment that the electronics on the Spyder are very sophisticated and that the ECU will adjust for about 20% variance in fuel and air. It would take significant engine mods to step outside of that. His comments not mine. I think he is right as my bike does not seem to be leaning out. I did do the ECU reset procedure. I also replaced the air cleaner element with a Green high performance filter. The engine note changed with that alone, started to breathe much better. That is it for my engine mods for now. Cat gone and high flow air cleaner has made a big difference, I am very happy. If you get a Y pipe made my suggestion is that you go to a custom shop that are used to doing this kind of fabrication. It is not nessarily a job for an ordinary service type mechanic. My Can Am dealer builds custom bikes and the guys in there are real craftsmen. Also the CO2 sensor on the RT is before the Y pipe so that is not an issue. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by dgnspyder; 07-26-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Removed

Does it appear that the bike is running leaner?
    See reply to Dr Buck. Cheers

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I removed mine [08] The caveman way ;Reamed it out with a long Bit on a extension, Not recommended for the weak of heart. No other modification needed or done. Total cost Zero, But a miscalculation would have meant a new muffler

Spyder Garage

Default Cat pipe

You build it i will buy it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dgnspyder View Post
    See reply to Dr Buck. Cheers
    I saw that; Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Firefly,
    I don't know the sound level with the stock muffler, I build the kit to fit my after market pipes.
    It will sound more like a RS with the stock muffler removed and replaced with aftermarket pipe like the TB Dual.
    You also can add a silencer or baffle into the pipe to quiet down a notch.
    My Spyder Mods:
    Ultimate Seat
    Glo Riders,
    Back up cam with monitor
    Spyder1Attitude Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Maybe I'll just wait for your kit. What's your target date for hitting the market? I hadn't considered changing the muffler. I kind of like the looks of the stock muffler. It goes well with the RT style.

If I do go to have one built, it will be during the winter when the Spyder will be garaged, so if someone else hit the market with one, I'm all for it.
    DR Buck,
    I'm still in the testing phase, wanna make sure everything is well before putting it on the market.
    The kit i have on mine sounds just like an RS with one of my pipes on it.
    So far i can report, the range on my last fillup was 185 miles with one bar to spare. Light didnt came on yet.
    That was cruising through the mountains, about 40 miles on the interstate and city driving.
    I'll be at Lamonts BBQ and i will have the kit on mine, so if you're able to make it there you can see for your self.
    My Spyder Mods:
    Ultimate Seat
    Glo Riders,
    Back up cam with monitor
    Spyder1Attitude Exhaust