Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat Removed

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    What was the cost of having the pipes made? Did you have to purchase new can-am gaskets? Any re-tuning of the engine?
    The cost to have the stainless pipe made was $617 (NZ dollars). I did not need new gaskets but my bike had only done 1500kms. At the time some people on this forum expressed the view that it may need a power commander fitted. I feel that it doesn't need it, but that is not to say that it may improve the performance some more with one fitted. I simply don't know as I haven't tried one. My dealer is pretty experienced with Spyders and he made the comment that the electronics on the Spyder are very sophisticated and that the ECU will adjust for about 20% variance in fuel and air. It would take significant engine mods to step outside of that. His comments not mine. I think he is right as my bike does not seem to be leaning out. I did do the ECU reset procedure. I also replaced the air cleaner element with a Green high performance filter. The engine note changed with that alone, started to breathe much better. That is it for my engine mods for now. Cat gone and high flow air cleaner has made a big difference, I am very happy. If you get a Y pipe made my suggestion is that you go to a custom shop that are used to doing this kind of fabrication. It is not nessarily a job for an ordinary service type mechanic. My Can Am dealer builds custom bikes and the guys in there are real craftsmen. Also the CO2 sensor on the RT is before the Y pipe so that is not an issue. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by dgnspyder; 07-26-2012 at 05:50 PM.