Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Long time rider looking for information

Hi Everyone
    Dave here, I am new to this only been riding for 56 years well it's time to look to something new
    I now ride an ST100 & a GoldWing but thinking about buying a CanAM Roadster (New Knees)
    I live in The Gold Country of California near Yosemite and ride the hills often what I want to know is.....
    Can I get some of the creature comforts on the sport mod. such as Bar risers/barbacks I don't like bending over
    forward much any more. I have Heili Bars on my ST they work well, what about taller windshield, road pegs
    not concerned with the seat I will manufacture my own with Gel in it ( that is what I do ) radio or media player
    to my helmet, all the above I can and will install myself.
    Can you tell me if the info I have heard about the automatic trans having troubles is true ?
    if so that is off the page,
    Well everyone Thank You for the input and now on to shopping for a CanAM
    Dave
    motorcycledave@mac.com

Spyder Garage

Good Questions: With some knee and leg issues you would probably find the RT (touring) version more comfortable than the RS (sport) version. I have had both versions of the --and with $6000.00 worth of farkles--the RS still did not feel like the RT.

My suggestion is to test drive both versions and see what you like best--that is the one you should get.

RE: semi auto transmission--no problems there. My first GS was a manual but the other three 's were all SE 5's. I have not had any problems with the transmission in over 50,000 combined miles on the SE 5.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-18-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you're looking at an RS. With you new knees and such, you might be much better off looking at the RT. It already has much of the stuff you're looking for.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Use the search option on this forum and you'll find a ton of good info on all of those add-ons. I have the SE5 semi-automatic with 10K miles and have had no problems. I love it.

Happy hunting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave!!
    Glad that you found us! These guys can definitely answer any and all questions that you might have... So don't be bashful about throwing them out here to be chewed upon by the experts!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

+ on the RT. It will get you to the fun roads and back in comfort and still have fun in the twisties. Just got back from the owners event in Durango, comfort to and from, fun on hwy 550 north of durango.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Everyone

Wow this is what I call great input.....
    I have been looking and riding both units but I tend to lean to the RS (sportier mod) because of the cost
    the dealers want 30+ K here in California for the RT and I have not seen any used RT's I do find used RS mods
    so that is why I am looking at the sport mod. also it is lighter and I would think more agile in the twists
    I will not part with my ST because I like the performance and handling of a sport bike.
    If I want to ride around on a motorized couch I hop on the Gold Wing.
    But I still want to know if I can get the bars on one of the CanAM hot rods up and back.... any input
    will be great.
    Dave
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 07-18-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

There are seveal mods for the bars. 1" to 3" riser blocks that raise the stock bars, risers that involve cutting the stock bars and a helibar for the spyder. My wife has the helibar on hers and, at 6'-2" the bars are too close for me.

Search the forum and you will find a ton of info on these options..................
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Up and back on the bars???
    Courtesy of one of our very own!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I went the RS route trying to make an RT out of it and probably spent what an RT would have cost. Now I have an RTS and it's much better. Look for a used RT outside of California and make a road trip out of it. There are great deals on used here at the forum from time to time and most folks would deliver the bike at least half way for you. What better way to get to know your new ride!

Spyder Garage

Default love the ape hangers

Hey Bob Love the Ape Hangers

Spyder Garage

There are a couple of used RTs on eBay for less than $20K.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Long time rider looking for information

on looking at the . I've got 2 new hips & a fused lower back & the RT works great for me. Have fun & ride safe.

Spyder Garage

i have the rs and will buy an rt when i can get the money,i got ever thing to make mine compfre and spent moore money than an rt would have been,and the rs hurts my knees after about 30 min so dont get a rs,it kills your knees,thats why i ride my 500 cc scooter more than my spyder,but im trading both for a rt as soon as the money is right,and i see what the 13s look like.im 73 and didnt know i had bad knees till i rode my rs.and yes i got hy pegs and tried running boards .i got risers ,high wind sheld.ive rode the rt and no knee proulbms.ive had 53 motorcycles and now three.but will trade for that rt soon.

zrc

Hey Dave!

Here is my suggestion - browse the used market. When I bought my RS, it had saddle bags, helibar risers, highway pegs, a taller windshield and everything you are looking for basically. Lately I have heard and seen on the board lots of people that had RS's that they have traded or are selling for RTs, you might be able to located on with what you want already on it!

Also look over Ebay, call a local dealer, call cowtown in MO, and call someone other dealer you have no idea who is. See what they can help you do. To find what you are looking for and help you get it at a price that is reasonable. If they are not willing to work with what you are looking for at a price you can afford I bet you can find a dealer that will.

Also, you are approaching us at a very speculative time, supposedly 2013 models are going to bring some "new and exciting" things according to BRP, unless you just NEED it now, I might considering waiting to see what they say in September, its like 8 weeks away! During that time you can thoroughly look at what mods / additions you might make to an RS and get a better TOC (total cost of ownership) or find an RT you can afford.

My bet is pending certain possible changes the used market have more items in it.

If you are willing to look at a manual instead of the automatic, I know a guy that "said" he was gonna sell his manual RS and it had a LOT of what you are looking for on it.

Take some time and just think about it

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm inclined to agree that buying the RT over the RS is probably the way to go if you have medical problems with your back or legs. I'm 60, rode Sportsters for 40 years and bought the RS because of the sport configuration. In the past 5 years I've had 17 operations on my legs from an accident with the Sportster where a kid decided he didn't want to move out of my way and I ran up his rear end. On top of that I got caught in a house fire and burnt my legs bad, spending 5 weeks in a burn unit...On top of that, last year I had a double bypass that took me out of comission for the summer...Well...anyways...I spent a lot of money on my RS improving the sport features...sway bars, Hindle exhaust, o2 sensor, K&N filter and I also spent a lot of money improving the long range trips...Corbin seat, sheepskins, Garmin 660 GPS, all the lights from ESI to improve visability, trailer hitch and teardrop trailer...Don't even want to add up everything I bought for my RS...But...bottom line is I love my RS and it doesn't hurt me to drive it for hundreds of miles...The relatively short range of the Spyder allows for a stretch/water break every 150 miles or so...I figure I might be ready for the RT when I'm 65 or older but my physical ability to ride sport is gonna dictate what version of the Spyder I'm gonna own...I'm gonna own one of them either way...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hey Bob Love the Ape Hangers
    Proof that anything is possible!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Dave, as for a windshield, you might check out Cal Sci. They are just up the road from, you in Sacto. I've heard they are very helpful for ride-ins. I've had a phone conversation with a fellow there who appeared to be very knowledgeable. Plus, apparently they have Spyder shields in inventory. I recall someone on another forum saying they allowed him to try one or two sizes before buying.

Spyder Garage

Check out the for sale by owner/wtb forum.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

My last two wheeler was a ST1100. I bought the 08 GS (now RS). I liked the handling, but the seating/leg position, handlebars position killed me. I was thinking about adding all the "stuff" when the RT came out. I test rode the RT, loved it, bought it.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Check out the for sale by owner/wtb forum.
    Good place to start.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

There are a ton of options for bars and windshields.

Kewlmetal makes a replacement center console that allows you to use just about any 7/8" bar. They provide 3 of them at 5" 7" and 9" (the 9" also requires extended cables which doubles the cost and time to install.) They have the most bike-like look to them and a lot of flexibility in the future if you decide you need more (or less). Kewlmetal also sells the dogbone style risers (chop the end off and relocate it 3-4" up/back) and an adjustable setup which is useful, tho a bit mechanical looking.

For the windshield, Madstad makes the one size fits all. If you want a smaller windshield that is adjustable to give you that smooth flow without looking like a barn door, this is your choice. If you still want a barndoor, get the BRP ultra touring windshield and put it on the Madstad brackets. My wife has this setup and loves it. I use the small 20" shield and it works perfect for me. There's probably another dozen windshields out there, CalSci is a popular one...

You will want some kind of highway pegs and/or floorboards. Kewlmetal has the sturdy highway peg brackets but they're a bit higher up than most people over 6' like. For a further forward and lower down peg, Custom Dynamics has your brackets. I have no experience with floorboards, but a lot of folks love their Sealboards (don't need highway pegs with these.)

I can't say enough good things about the Kontour seat coverings.

My wife and I ride our GS's fairly long distances (about 500 miles a day) but I'm certain that the RT's are more comfortable on the long trips.

The power and handling of the GS/RS is very noticeably different from the RT. Tho with enough money you can make an RT dance too.

On the subject of money. By the time you get an RS, exhaust, seat, windshield and bracket, highway pegs and brackets, center console and handlebars, and new grips... and then add in hard bags and a top box with back rest... you're probably close to the cost of a base model RT. If you go high end with these things (corbin seat, corbin luggage etc) you're definitely into the cost of an RT and some upgrades.

We couldn't give up the nimbleness of the GS/RS, so this made sense to us. But we also have quite a bit left before retirement if that makes any sense.

Good luck. You came to the right place. Take your time and use the search tools to find what you're looking for, it's all been asked before. But feel free to ask away, you'll get a lot of responses.

- Sny
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Okay, can we PLEASE dispense with the old and inaccurate meme: it does NOT cost "as much as an RT" to make the RS a touring machine.

Here's the price breakdown of what I added to make my RS a touring machine equivalent to the RT:

1. Easy Risers: $130
    2. RIVCO floorboards: $350
    3. Madstad bracket and 24" winshield: $290
    4. Ultimate Seat: $905 ($480 for the seat plus I bought two $200 backrests)
    5. Nelson-Rigg CL-950 saddlebags: $100

Total spent: $1775

I purchased my new 2010 Spyder RS SE5 at the end of the model year for $16,000. You can't find a new RT SE5 for $17,775 (I've seen an SM5 for close to that price-- bare bones stock).

Granted, I don't have the nice integrated luggage capacity that comes with the RT, and the passenger seat isn't as comfy as the RT. Those are unavoidable compromises.

But the RT comes with one windshield, you're stuck with the stock handlebars, you still have to add floorboards if you want them, and many RT owners either upgrade their BRP seat or add an aftermarket like the Corbin/Ultimate/etc. For a lot less money, I made my RS fit my frame as if it were custom tailored for me.

Bottom line: if you want an RT, get an RT. I especially recommend one if you're going to ride with a passenger cross-country, there's no way yet to make the RS as comfortable for a pillion as the RT, and the lack of integrated luggage makes packing for two on the RS an exercise in futility.

But don't be afraid of buying an RS and tweaking it into a touring machine. I've spent FAR more than that $1775 upgrading other stuff on my RS (shocks, exhaust, lighting, etc). The "touring" stuff was the easy part.
    Last edited by daveinva; 07-19-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Wow this is what I call great input.....
    I have been looking and riding both units but I tend to lean to the RS (sportier mod) because of the cost
    the dealers want 30+ K here in California for the RT and I have not seen any used RT's I do find used RS mods
    so that is why I am looking at the sport mod. also it is lighter and I would think more agile in the twists
    I will not part with my ST because I like the performance and handling of a sport bike.
    If I want to ride around on a motorized couch I hop on the Gold Wing.
    But I still want to know if I can get the bars on one of the CanAM hot rods up and back.... any input
    will be great.
    Dave
    Most of our group have done the mods to raise the handlebars on their GS/RS Spyders...much more comfortable riding position for longer rides. I'd have to say I was a bit anxious when it came to cutting the handlebars. (Ed later was wishing he hadn't so we'd have more places to mount things...communication system, cup holder, etc). We put on the center riser as well as the adjustable Kewl Metal risers...they can be adjusted forward/back/etc. We also put floorboards on, and THAT made a world of difference. The RS is about 200 lbs lighter so it is more fun in the twists, etc. When Ed was coming home from the hospital in Cheyenne we had a fellow Spyderlover drive our bike back to our RV...it was the first time he'd been on an RS and he commented on how much more power our bike had than his RT. Good luck with whatever decision you come up...we bought our Spyder just over 2 years ago and love it!
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale