Thread: speaker Upgrade

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default speaker Upgrade

I"m looking to add rear speakers to my 2012 RT/AC and was wondering if anyone is using these speakers? I was thinking of changing out the fronts while I"m at it. Are they better than poke speakers? Thanks for the info. Here's the link:
    http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am...o_speakers.htm

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try this Thread it may help

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...770#post424770

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Try this Thread it may help

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...770#post424770

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Thanks for the info--very helpful!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The J&Ms have a pretty good reputation.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I got all 4 JM speakers from custom dynamics. They sound way better than stock. Rears were easy to install. Fronts require a total teardown of the dash, cowl, windshield, mirrors, etc. plan on HOURS of work.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I ordered them last weekend and they are in back order....... just so you know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I installed only the rear j&m. Their presence alone helps a ton! I can actually hear my music at freeway speeds now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I used the POLK and will say that while better than stock, I would not have done it with the minor improvement it offered. Now, adding the rears - yes - for sure as the wires are already there and not too bad to do. The fronts, there is a video someone made and I agree it was hours of work for little benefit but I would attribute that to the lack of power from the stock system (amp wise).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dan,
    Do you have any way that you could email me the instructions for installing those J&Ms?

Spyder Garage

Yeah. PM me your email address..... But I have to tell you the instructions are nothing more than text---- no photos. I'd do the rears again, but most likely not the fronts---- it really was a lot of work to get to them!!! Not a job for the faint of heart or the impatient.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PM being sent next!
    Thanks!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Speaker upgrade

I also have a 2010 Rt A/c and added rear speakers which are 4 inch marine type speakers. They work out great and the wiring is there to hook up to. One ancor screw will have to be shorten to keep from running through the front of the grill. There is a adjustment on the radio for front and rear speakers .

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd7 View Post
    I"m looking to add rear speakers to my 2012 RT/AC and was wondering if anyone is using these speakers? I was thinking of changing out the fronts while I"m at it. Are they better than poke speakers? Thanks for the info. Here's the link:
    http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am...o_speakers.htm

Spyder Garage

Default Speaker Upgrade - Polk DXi

I just completed this upgrade over the weekend, and it is a bear.

I dropped in a full set of Polk Audio DXi Marine speakers. (5.25" Front, 4" Rear)

I managed to do it without taking down the whole dash/windshield assembly, but its a tight space to work in. I also soldered the connections vs using quick connects. I figured with all the vibs you get on a bike, it would reduce the need for me to take down everything to fix it should a quick connect decide to pop off. We'll see if that comes back to bite me in the @$$ somewhere down the road.

It took me a good 4 hours of work between take down and rebuild, being my first time doing a complete teardown. I had one extra bolt/washer left over after, and I think I know where it goes. A small oversight when putting the dash back together. I'll put it back next time around,...

Good luck, and just take your time,...its a bit of a PITA.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

Just did mine this past weekendImageUploadedByTapatalk1342647744.864818.jpg. Tons of fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I'm gonna be sick...

Spyder Garage

Default Fonts tough, REALLY?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I got all 4 JM speakers from custom dynamics. They sound way better than stock. Rears were easy to install. Fronts require a total teardown of the dash, cowl, windshield, mirrors, etc. plan on HOURS of work.
    I also have all four in my RT and thought the fronts were STONE COLD SIMPLE compared to the rear. MAYBE had to loosen the glove box but that was it, I put them in with little effort as I remember. There was a post with a video that I somewhat followed, need to see if I can find it.

It is not that the rear install was hard just VERY time consuming. I had to dismantle the entire rear of the Spyder which is why I did the Corbin passenger arrests at the same time.

I agree they sound WAY better than stock at all volumes but what makes these nice is you can actually turn them up and even add a little bass without them soundong like grabage.
    Last edited by kinggeek; 07-18-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yeah. PM me your email address..... But I have to tell you the instructions are nothing more than text---- no photos. I'd do the rears again, but most likely not the fronts---- it really was a lot of work to get to them!!! Not a job for the faint of heart or the impatient.
    I would love to see your instructions also. You should have my email address already.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

if you went with the polks the rear speakers they do not cover the entire rear OEM hole. they fit fine but there is a small gap around the base plate of the speakers. had dealer install as I did not want to deal with removing the rear area to install. He applied a high temp epoxy to fill in that small hole area just around the base of the speaker on two sides of the speaker there was tiny gap. just an FYI. Not sure if the J&M speakers are made to exact dimensions of the OEM speaker holes.

also I purchased base blockers (high pass filters) that were waterproof (well shrink wrapped to protect from moisture). they cut off the frequences below which the speaker can not produce anyway. the rear is a higher cut off as they are smaller speakers.

what this does is keep the speaker from distorting when trying to produce base frequencies it physically can not produce (too small a speaker). this allows the volume to be higher as well. also it protects the speakers from damage. the damage is not from the wattage but from clipping the amp (too high volume for the system) or also from too much distortion (ie too much base) that the speaker cannot produce.

http://www.bassblocker.com
    gives you a description.

if you want to spend some $$ there are electronic crossovers to really fine tune the where the cut off frequency will be. used these in the car back in the day when I had subs and multiamps in my car ....
    http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=10981351

do not use speaker baffles as they will reduce the ability of the speaker to produce base. only use them where you need to protect the speaker from behind from moisture and dirt type application.