Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Coolant Reservoir

Mine cracked... down the middle during a ride on July 3rd. Crack was in the same location that others have reported - vertical on the front side of the tank. I currently have 23k miles on my '08 SM5, and other than brake squeal and a small caliper leak, this is the only problem that I've had. Fortunately, the leak was small enough for me to make it home. Be warned though, there does seem to be a systemic problem with these reservoirs. I picked up another one at Bert's Mega Mall - price with shipping and a couple of hose clamps was around $80.
    Rather carve than cruise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ltownblue View Post
    Mine cracked... down the middle during a ride on July 3rd. Crack was in the same location that others have reported - vertical on the front side of the tank. I currently have 23k miles on my '08 SM5, and other than brake squeal and a small caliper leak, this is the only problem that I've had. Fortunately, the leak was small enough for me to make it home. Be warned though, there does seem to be a systemic problem with these reservoirs. I picked up another one at Bert's Mega Mall - price with shipping and a couple of hose clamps was around $80.
    Seems they like to pop in the heat eh? I'm ordering a spare tonight along with that connector that seems to go bad too.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    Sounds like a good reason to pack some JB Weld into the tool kit.
    Great idea but make it JB Weld Quick (the four minute stuff).

Spyder Garage

I have 2008 Roadster w/ 21,000 mile. i started to have collant slowly leak from this tank about a year ago (very littl and not enough to put the bike out of svc) then last week it started to come out after a short ride but made it back home. after checking closley with the panels off it was leaking on the back side in the middle of the tank at the seam. The seam looks like it was rotting or corroding away. I called my dealer (Land & Sea, Waterbury, CT), these are great guys there, he said he had one in stock and would warranty it (my $50.00 BRB deductable would be needed). They did not even need the bike in to there shop. A new one was quoted for $65.00 so this saved me a little $$$. After swapping it out and replacing the clamp (old one had to be dremel'd off, easy task) the install was simple.
    This leads me to another issue on the collant **** VERY IMPORTANT ****. i drained the collant from the radiator using the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator, sounds normal right. The Drain Plug and Flange that the plug screws into completely separated from the radiator with very little pressure used on the wrench. I had the have this flange welded back on at a local radiator that welds aluminum (cost $70.00), new radiator is $300.00ish. This design is very bad at best. All spyder riders, word of warning, do not touch the drian plug on the radiator !!! if you need to drain the collant pull the lower hose, OEM clamp will have to be dremel'd off and replaced (again very simple task) but relly no risk at doing this for damage. I posted this info on another string (Radiator Broke).

Spyder Garage

BRP knows about this, I hope you got the new type of coolent tank. Didn't you get the memo from BRP? I carry a coolent tank repair kit with me. I started to trailer my Spyder if I go more than 150 miles from home due to some dealers were reported that they won't work on a Spyder unless it was bought at there dealer ship and most of the dealers do not stock parts for Spyders. I have been testing the BRP parts system, when we go traveling I stop at a Spyder dealer and ask for the things that are likely to break on a trip and they don't have them. This is the big down fall with owning a BRP Spyder. Like the old saying: A Motor Vehicle Is Only AS Good AS It's Availability To Get Parts And Service. That's IMHO.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 08-23-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    BRP knows about this, I hope you got the new type of coolent tank. Didn't you get the memo from BRP? I carry a coolent repair kit with me. I started to trailer my Spyder if I go more than 105 miles from home due to some dealers were reported that they won't work on a Spyder unless it was bought at there dealer ship and most of the dealers do not stock parts for Spyders. I have been testing the BRP parts system, when we go traveling I stop at a Spyder dealer and ask for the things that are likely to break on a trip and they don't have them. This is the big down fall with owning a BRP Spyder. Like the old saying: A Motor Vehicle Is Only AS Good AS It's Availability To Get Parts And Service. That's IMHO.

Mike
    Not sure what the new type of coolant tank is you referred too, my dealer in Waterbury, Ct had one in stock and it looked to be identical to the bad one that came out. I have not recieved anything from BRP talking about a known problem. Please advise if you have more details on a different type tank. Thanks

Spyder Garage

The tank has been redesigned internally.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wink another failure

same thing happened to me last week on an 09 RS SM. It is winter here in Oz so heat stress is not expected. Best guess isthat it started with a poor or loose connection to thermostat housing which let pressure and heat build up. My tank split just as described. The dealer said it was split by expanding andpressing against the frame. He put a rubber pad in place to protect it.

I have also wired in a fan override switch to give some ability to lower the temperature in traffic. Easy job.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd like to see a list of the most common items that break down on the Spyders by model...RS/RT...items that can be carried on the road so you don't have to rely on dealers as to whether or not they'll work on your Spyder...I carry fuses, relays, sparkplugs, oil and a fire extinguisher..I know this isn't a complete list...Anybody care to contribute to the list?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    I'd like to see a list of the most common items that break down on the Spyders by model...RS/RT...items that can be carried on the road so you don't have to rely on dealers as to whether or not they'll work on your Spyder...I carry fuses, relays, sparkplugs, oil and a fire extinguisher..I know this isn't a complete list...Anybody care to contribute to the list?
    Adding to the list: sparkplug wires (BajaRon's), coolent tank repair kit, tire repair kit, 12 Volt tire compressor, fix a flat, AAA motorcycle road side service, duct tape, bailing wire, first aid kit, tire air guage, rages, water, tools and coolent.

Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Another reason to own a trailer...

Spyder Garage

Rule #1 - You can never carry adequate spares. Whatever part you need will be the one you didn't bring.
    Rule #2 - You can never carry enough credit cards. A card will get your vehicle towed, get you a bus ticket, rental car, or motel room, or even buy that one spare you didn't bring along.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Rule #1 - You can never carry adequate spares. Whatever part you need will be the one you didn't bring.Rule #2 - You can never carry enough credit cards. A card will get your vehicle towed, get you a bus ticket, rental car, or motel room, or even buy that one spare you didn't bring along.
    Amen!
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Rule #1 - You can never carry adequate spares. Whatever part you need will be the one you didn't bring.
    Rule #2 - You can never carry enough credit cards. A card will get your vehicle towed, get you a bus ticket, rental car, or motel room, or even buy that one spare you didn't bring along.
    Like I read on this forum. He went to a dealer and he had to order it. When he called about the part, they told him about 4 weeks to get it. Like the old saying: A Motor Vehicle Is Only AS Good AS It's Availability To Get Parts And Service. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    Like I read on this forum. He went to a dealer and he had to order it. When he called about the part, they told him about 4 weeks to get it. Like the old saying: A Motor Vehicle Is Only AS Good AS It's Availability To Get Parts And Service. That's IMHO.

Mike

Amen to that bro. AND reliability
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Also happened to me

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    zip ties. rescue tape. mobile phone.money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Amen to that bro. AND reliability

The reliability has been good, I have my 2011 RS-S SE5 for about 13 months and almost 10,000 miles. I have an old 2008 service manual and 2011 service manual, I read the old one and went through the new manual and looked a the upgrades. They fixed alot of problems and my new tech. at Freedom Motor Sports ( that did a great job on my RS-S ) told me that they (BRP) are look for the fire problem. It looks like the new owners of BRP are fixing the problems that the old owners had. All they have to do is get rid of the bad dealers. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

1. Buy all the spare parts you think you'll need.

2. Leave them at home with the significant other, or at a reliable friend's.

3. If you can't fix it on the road or at a local dealer, you're at most a phone call and an overnight FedEx away from a replacement part.

Sadly not as simple as walking into any H-D dealership on Earth and riding out, but it's the compromise we make with BRP.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Does the new design have a new part number?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The tank has been redesigned internally.

The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Does the new design have a new part number?
    Not sure but there are no old tanks being shipped since early 2012.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

About the only spare that would make sense is to carry Lamont in the Frunk!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Not sure but there are no old tanks being shipped since early 2012.
    Bought a replacement bottle last year and this week it just cracked (vertical cracks on the centerline, on the area where the internal baffle / reinforcement is glued / "welded" to the bottle).
    So much for improvement...
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Spyder Garage

Default A year went by...

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    Bought a replacement bottle last year and this week it just cracked (vertical cracks on the centerline, on the area where the internal baffle / reinforcement is glued / "welded" to the bottle).
    So much for improvement...
    Another replacement bottle cracked..., lasted just one year...

Thinking of making an aluminum or stainless-steel tank...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    Another replacement bottle cracked..., lasted just one year...

Thinking of making an aluminum or stainless-steel tank...
    I made my own in 2009 . With a sight gage,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ivanlee View Post
    I made my own in 2009 . With a sight gage,
    Cool...

Aluminum or stainless...?