Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default FIX your Spyder fuel gauge and poor millage quick and easy!

So I have been a Spyder owner since 2008 (Read a lot but post very little) and I noticed an issue developed after a few years with my Spyder with the fuel gauge reading LOW all the time. After 60 miles of driving my gas light would come on and I would get about 2 gallons in the tank to fill it back up but still the gauge would only read 1/2 tank at best.

So....

I pulled the sending unit out of the tank (This sucks, I have no words for this but I am sure I did when I removed and reinstalled it) and I took sandpaper to the sending unit fuel level contacts and the little arm that rydes up and down the contacts. Bingo fuel gauge read normal again! I was happy for a year (12k miles) but guess what? It's back to reading 1/2 tank after fill up same as before.

Now being one who does not want to deal with that nightmare of a sending unit / tank removal I decided to try a trick from back in my racing days - BG44K or liquid gold as most dealers, auto shops and high end tuners call it. I added about 3 to 4 ounces into a full tank and drove 180 miles and filled up the tank again. Guess what? This time the gauge read full! The BG44K removed the sulfur (or whatever it is) from the sending unit and all was normal.

One other side note, I was getting about 32 MPG during the first few years (After break in) of having the Spyder but after the BG44K I am now getting 38+ MPG with a noticeable boost in power. For anyone who has ever used BG44K you know this stuff works and for those who have never used it go down to NAPA or your local higher end parts / auto dealers and swing by the service dept and get a can. They are 11 ounce cans and you can dump the rest into your car or ATV or anything else you have with an engine (2 or 4 stroke). They run about $20 a can and this will NOT be found by all the cheap fuel cleaner products but rather behind the counter or in an area all to itself. Keep in mind BG44K is used in just about every "dealer" tune up and you WILL notice it in power and millage.

You only need to add about 3 to 4 ounces to a full tank of gas maybe once or twice a year depending on your millage (I do12k miles a year on my Spyder and only used it once) so it is not like you need to put it in every tank or anything like that.

So if you are having this fuel gauge problem or getting millage that you feel is low go ahead and give some BG44K a shot, it does not hurt and who knows it may just fix your gauge and pay for itself in the gas savings.

Please post your result and let us all know if this worked for you and what your findings are.

Back to reading...

John

Spyder Garage

Default thanks ax

nice write-up on the bg44 k. welcome to the site. i wish more of the '' never heard from '' folks would also post what they know. it would help all of us out.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting... I'm sure that we're all wishing that you had brought up this little tidbit earlier!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thx, ordered it.

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth it's also recommended by Click and Clack
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS MAGIC ELIXER

Quote Originally Posted by Axcessitall View Post
    So I have been a Spyder owner since 2008 (Read a lot but post very little) and I noticed an issue developed after a few years with my Spyder with the fuel gauge reading LOW all the time. After 60 miles of driving my gas light would come on and I would get about 2 gallons in the tank to fill it back up but still the gauge would only read 1/2 tank at best.

So....

I pulled the sending unit out of the tank (This sucks, I have no words for this but I am sure I did when I removed and reinstalled it) and I took sandpaper to the sending unit fuel level contacts and the little arm that rydes up and down the contacts. Bingo fuel gauge read normal again! I was happy for a year (12k miles) but guess what? It's back to reading 1/2 tank after fill up same as before.

Now being one who does not want to deal with that nightmare of a sending unit / tank removal I decided to try a trick from back in my racing days - BG44K or liquid gold as most dealers, auto shops and high end tuners call it. I added about 3 to 4 ounces into a full tank and drove 180 miles and filled up the tank again. Guess what? This time the gauge read full! The BG44K removed the sulfur (or whatever it is) from the sending unit and all was normal.

One other side note, I was getting about 32 MPG during the first few years (After break in) of having the Spyder but after the BG44K I am now getting 38+ MPG with a noticeable boost in power. For anyone who has ever used BG44K you know this stuff works and for those who have never used it go down to NAPA or your local higher end parts / auto dealers and swing by the service dept and get a can. They are 11 ounce cans and you can dump the rest into your car or ATV or anything else you have with an engine (2 or 4 stroke). They run about $20 a can and this will NOT be found by all the cheap fuel cleaner products but rather behind the counter or in an area all to itself. Keep in mind BG44K is used in just about every "dealer" tune up and you WILL notice it in power and millage.

You only need to add about 3 to 4 ounces to a full tank of gas maybe once or twice a year depending on your millage (I do12k miles a year on my Spyder and only used it once) so it is not like you need to put it in every tank or anything like that.

So if you are having this fuel gauge problem or getting millage that you feel is low go ahead and give some BG44K a shot, it does not hurt and who knows it may just fix your gauge and pay for itself in the gas savings.

Please post your result and let us all know if this worked for you and what your findings are.

Back to reading...

John
    I am the most " doubting " of doubting Thomas's.....I have never bought a " shelf " fix in my life......BUT based on what you have said I'm going to try this......You are a great salesman/spokesman so please don't tell me about anything else for a while.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Sheesh! Now I want to try it too. Won't take long to find out if it works if you've been keeping track of your MPG.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default FIX your Spyder fuel gauge and poor millage quick and easy!

Great Post,
    My '11 RT-S fuel gauge just started doing this today. I know the tank is full, but gauge shows two bars from full. went to get gas yesterday when the fuel light came on and I filled that puppy to the brim, but the pump showed i only put in 3 gallons. i am buying this today and will give it a try. Thanks for giving me options verses dragging my spyder to the dealer to get bent over. Peace.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lukester View Post
    Great Post,
    My '11 RT-S fuel gauge just started doing this today. I know the tank is full, but gauge shows two bars from full. went to get gas yesterday when the fuel light came on and I filled that puppy to the brim, but the pump showed i only put in 3 gallons. i am buying this today and will give it a try. Thanks for giving me options verses dragging my spyder to the dealer to get bent over. Peace.
    Circa 2012.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I am the most " doubting " of doubting Thomas's.....I have never bought a " shelf " fix in my life......BUT based on what you have said I'm going to try this......You are a great salesman/spokesman so please don't tell me about anything else for a while.....Mike
    I am also a "Doubting Thomas" One dance don't make it a romance. Unless there was some serious contamination in the fuel system I'll remain a "Doubtful". Thus I can't wait to hear from others who have used this BG44K & hold a validated judgement based on the following future results.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it's been about 6 years since this revelation was first announced and in that 6 years..........exactly ZERO owners have reported any positive results here. Maybe the original post was spam. That "owner" still only has ONE post.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I work have worked in auto dealerships for 27 years and have seen BG44K work. I don't know about fixing a fuel gauge,but it does get rid of carbon. I have used a bore scope before and after and can attest that it works.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I too fall into the category of a skeptic.
    1. The post was made in 2012
    2. The OP states that he has ridden Spyders since 2008.
    3. Did you notice that he states that he added the treatment to a full tank then rode 180 miles?

The 998 series engine and tanks would not have a 180 mile range except with tail wind down hill onsmooth dry roads..... and then pushing the envelope of the tank capacity.
    Maybe he added fuel in the middle, and just failed to mention it. Or maybe I misread it.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default I don't agree with that ...

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    3. Did you notice that he states that he added the treatment to a full tank then rode 180 miles?

The 998 series engine and tanks would not have a 180 mile range except with tail wind down hill onsmooth dry roads..... and then pushing the envelope of the tank capacity.
    Maybe he added fuel in the middle, and just failed to mention it. Or maybe I misread it.

Joe
    Interesting analogy Joe, alas I don't agree with it. My wife and I both have 998's and we regularly fill them up between 140 and 160 mile mark on trips and the most we fill them with is 5.4 gals. In fact we spent a day riding in the Arkansas national forest around Oark area (no gas station for miles) hills / mountains everywhere and finally found a gas station open in a one horse town. We had 168 miles on the tanks, sure the gas light was on and yes we were worried we weren't gonna find a gas station but interestingly when we filled the tanks, they only took a little over 5 gals, which means there was still over a gal in the tank.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2RTsGV View Post
    they only took a little over 5 gals, which means there was still over a gal in the tank.
    You might be closer to OUT than you figure.
    Sometimes the "advertised" tank capacity is more than the "usable" capacity.
    Especially if the nozzle cut off a bit early on the previous fill and you didn't notice.

Spyder Garage

Default maybe so ..

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You might be closer to OUT than you figure.
    Sometimes the "advertised" tank capacity is more than the "usable" capacity.
    Especially if the nozzle cut off a bit early on the previous fill and you didn't notice.
    I don't know anything about tank capacity and usable capaticity .. but I do know that at 168 miles on mountain roads with no wind behind me to push me along and around 5 gals from a 6.6 or 6.9 gal tank .. there was still gas left .. and I anticipated that I could have gone at least another 35 miles before it was critical to get gas or running out .. besides, that puts the range around 200 miles which is about 4 hours in the saddle and I don't know about anyone else but my old bones need to be stretched out around the 140 mile mark anyway. So I am happy with the range my bike gets
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

When I was younger (a lot younger) we use to put moth balls (naphtha) in our fuel tanks to improve performance. Maybe it worked..... At least we thought it did at the time. But that was long, long time ago.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    When I was younger (a lot younger) we use to put moth balls (naphtha) .............
    Different "naptha". This is "white gas".

And severe engine damage sometimes occurs from moth balls (Naphthalene).
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 02-05-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Different "naptha". This is "white gas".

And severe engine damage sometimes occurs from moth balls (Naphthalene).
    And that just might explain why I learned engine rebuilding at an early age.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post

Joe
    I got 184 miles and refilled with 5.8 gallons on my 08--SM5. One time. I don't like driving below empty. No additives--Ever.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default GAS MILEAGE

The best tank I ever got on my 2013 RT-S was 172 miles, and It took 5.5 gal to fill up..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a