Thread: Frunk Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk Alignment

What an awesome two days of ryding since we got our spyder. It's been the best time in my life sine marry my wife

Our frunk looks to be a little out of alignment. I think it must have been a little loose and the trailering shift it a bit. When we took it out before it was delivered for a ride at the dealership, our pics that we took don't show it out of alignment. We only noticed it by the fact we were only able to open it once via the key when we went to the store and not again by key. I went to look, the frunk does indeed sit with the left side scooched down a bit (when facing the front). Down near the hinge, the gap between the sides is more on the left and tighter on the right. So, it's a little askew.

Before I tinker, is this something I can simply unbolt and realign? What do I unbolt/screw without screwing myself over?

The electric switch operates fine all the time and releases the trunk. I can hear the key moving the actuator and the cable to it but it doesn't release the catch even when pulling on the frunk as stated in the manual. So, I learned the switch operates the latch directly and the key method does the actuator thingy. Also, I did open the frunk and manually push down the latch to simulate the frunk being closed and the key method did pop up the latch correctly. It just won't work when the frunk is really closed.

All I can surmise is that the frunk is definitely askew and maybe the rubber near the frunk latching bar is keeping the actuator from being operated correctly by the key--like the rubber piece keeps it from moving far enough to release the latch.

Idears?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that there's four bolts (Maybe six???) holding the frunk to the framework.
    Pop the frunklid, and you can see two of them; the rest are on the bottom, and under some Tupperware.
    Good Luck and please let us know what you find!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that there's four bolts (Maybe six???) holding the frunk to the framework.
    Pop the frunklid, and you can see two of them; the rest are on the bottom, and under some Tupperware.
    Good Luck and please let us know what you find!
    Ick, tupperware... That scared me. I may attempt this or make it an excuse to take a trip to the dealer

Thanks for the info! I didn't think of bolts being on the underside.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Storage Compartment Adjustment Instructions

Here are the instructions to properly align your front storage compartment cover. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Here are the instructions to properly align your front storage compartment cover. Hope this helps.
    I...I...I will name my first born after you :-) But only the forum ID for it's name! Thanks so much. The owner's manual wasn't helping me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scary; isn't it?? With the proper instructions though, most of us could do the job!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Are you sure it isn't just the trunk lid? If the weatherstrip or trunk liner comes off the lip, it pushes up one side of the lid and makes the trunk very hard to open. Check to see that it is fully seated all around. It is easy to catch and pull loose, and some dealers don't install the velcro strips for the liner, making things worse. Also look at the lever on the microswitch on the (rider's) right side. If the lever is bent to the side, as happens frequently, it can interfere with the trunk lid closing, and can even prevent electric opening. Careful with the switch, it is easy to break the lever.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Are you sure it isn't just the trunk lid? If the weatherstrip or trunk liner comes off the lip, it pushes up one side of the lid and makes the trunk very hard to open. Check to see that it is fully seated all around. It is easy to catch and pull loose, and some dealers don't install the velcro strips for the liner, making things worse. Also look at the lever on the microswitch on the (rider's) right side. If the lever is bent to the side, as happens frequently, it can interfere with the trunk lid closing, and can even prevent electric opening. Careful with the switch, it is easy to break the lever.
    That's a good point about the lid. I know my wife was messing with liner, maybe it's stuck up on one side. That might explain why it was fine at first. It wasn't until after she was digging around checking things out that it didn't close perfectly. Wouldn't a simple solution be awesome! I'll have to check that out before bed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HedonismBot View Post
    That's a good point about the lid. I know my wife was messing with liner, maybe it's stuck up on one side. That might explain why it was fine at first. It wasn't until after she was digging around checking things out that it didn't close perfectly. Wouldn't a simple solution be awesome! I'll have to check that out before bed.
    It indeed turned out to be the rubber weatherstripping type piece on top of the liner. The elastic below it was pulled up and pushing that stripping part up on the left. Once we reseated it, the frunk was perfect. Hooray for a simple solution

There is still a little play in the hood down at the hinge--can slide it a tad left and right. But, 5 shuts and 5 key opens later and I'm happy. Once we take it out tonight we'll see if it still opens fine after some vibration and wind and check the bolts. I'd imagine some play is probably a good thing as long as it doesn't interfere with the frunk's operation.

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions. You saved me a headache. I'd rather the problem be my own stupidity than some dealer assembly defect.

Spyder Garage

Mine have both had a little play at the bottom, too. I figure it's normal.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Mine have both had a little play at the bottom, too. I figure it's normal.
    Maybe the price we pay for the sexiest color for the RT-S! Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk alignment

My frunk is also slightly loose but i thought it was better than being too rigid so that bumps etc. would not force it. Thanks for all the great info.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I copied this offf so I could check mine. The lid REALLY looks like it's gona leak anyminute!!! Pretty big gap on both sides that make it look like it's gotten too hot and bowed up on the corners. The liner and gasket are ok. will have to look closer at the bolts and screws. Guess i'll have to have Kevin at Cowtown do that as the is there anyway. Soooo will look into it tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for this info.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    I copied this offf so I could check mine. The lid REALLY looks like it's gona leak anyminute!!! Pretty big gap on both sides that make it look like it's gotten too hot and bowed up on the corners. The liner and gasket are ok. will have to look closer at the bolts and screws. Guess i'll have to have Kevin at Cowtown do that as the is there anyway. Soooo will look into it tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for this info.
    Please post back with your findings. Mine is exactly the same. Has been. Never leaked, just the top outer edges sitting higher than they should.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2