Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Throwing in the towel!!!

Well after 6800 miles of issue free operation my 2011 RT-LTD's water pump failed, leaving me stranded needing a $150.00 tow to the dealer 16 miles away. Dealer Jim Potts motor group in Woodstock IL inspected the bike on Monday July 25th told me it's the water pump and they would have the parts in 3 days and that I would be back on the road by the weekend. (Never happened) Now at almost 4 weeks I'm told It might be ready by this Tuesday?? I was told by the service manager that the tech just started working on my bike @ 5pm today but will not be in the shop on Saturday and is off on Monday's maybe he will finish on Tuesday?? I new going with this product that service was going to be an issue. I also figured that the dealer network would improve over time and warranty issues would be handled in a expedant and professional manner. I WAS WRONG!! So at this point I regret to say tha I'm throwing in the towel!!

When this bike is ready I am riding direct to my metric dealer and trading it in at what ever price he is willing to give.

I have enjoyed the Spyder community and support of all the people on this web site and would like to say thank you to Lamont for all your help over the the last year. I wish all spyder owners good luck with there dealers and their bikes. May they both be trouble free and give you years of joy.
    BRP reccomends Jim Potts for service but unless you can afford to be without your bike for a month or so I would try Nielson Enterprise or Dockside Marine for all you Northern Illinois riders.

Spyder Garage

Sorry you're having this problem and giving up .... especially since you said the rest of your riding has been trouble free.

Sounds really like more of a dealer problem than a Spyder or BRP problem.

Not to throw any blame back on you... but there's no way my Spyder is staying at any dealer that isn't working on it within a week. I wouldn't tolerate it and would have gone and taken it from them long ago.

Why wasn't your tow covered by BEST or by your vehicle insurance???

$150 for a 16 mile tow?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This issue should be brought before the Better Business Bureau and BRP themselves for their action.
    I know this apparent contempt for the customer is frustrating but if you've had good service from the vehicle, it would be a shame to make that emotional and financial sacrifice.
    This sounds like a dealer problem, hence the BBB reference, but I do believe that BRP should have a fair chance to make things right....even if it is only to fully reimburse you.
    Try contacting Carlos....I have never had to but other members here have involved him and, from what I gather, he has come through personally.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

are you still keeping the other one (your spouses machine?) or are you trading both in for bikes?
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of the problem. The problem sounds like dealer , unless you can prove the parts were really on order from BRP for that long. Sometimes that happens--I had to wait three weeks for my driving lights to come in for our new 2011 RT.

I would not let some stupid dealer ruin my experience. There appears to be more dealer choices in your area--so I would go there before taking a hit on a trade in for something metric.

Posting your complaint two or three times on this forum on different pages, does seem like a bit of overkill though. I understand your anger. I did not check out the other forum--but hope you did not post the same there in order to spread the rant against the product. I hope you can get the problem worked out satisfactory.

Do keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The wife loves hers and wishes to keep it. It runs great (so Far) 7000 mile no issues. And yes this is a dealer issue. At this point I am held hostage by the dealer. I'm sure BRP could care less I'm only one customer. I'm also sure BRP will honor the warranty claim but I still don't have my bike!! They have me by the short and curly's.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry to hear of the problem. The problem sounds like dealer , unless you can prove the parts were really on order from BRP for that long. Sometimes that happens--I had to wait three weeks for my driving lights to come in for our new 2011 RT.

I would not let some stupid dealer ruin my experience. There appears to be more dealer choices in your area--so I would go there before taking a hit on a trade in for something metric.

Posting your complaint two or three times on this forum on different pages, does seem like a bit of overkill though. I understand your anger. I did not check out the other forum--but hope you did not post the same there in order to spread the rant against the product. I hope you can get the problem worked out satisfactory.

Do keep us posted.
    I have no intent in bad rapping the spyder product. I own two of them. I have over $40,000.00 invested between both bikes. This is a dealer issue who indirectly represenst BRP (and not very well) Having my bike towed 100 miles to the next dealer at my expence (16 miles= $150.00 100 miles well you do the math) and starting over again in the service que dosen't seem cost effective or time smart I'm in to deep now.
    The multi posts was to look for some help. some reader only look at the forum for what they own.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

1BLACKSPYDER - Why not pull it out of that place and take it north to Rob's on HWY 26 in Jefferson, WI? They are a supporter on this forum and not too far from you. Also have UKE's in Kenosha as a BRP Spyder dealer/service center that may be closer to you. If you need, I am not that far north and I can bring a snowmobile trailer down to help you move it to another location rather than a towing service.
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Sorry you're having this problem and giving up .... especially since you said the rest of your riding has been trouble free.

Sounds really like more of a dealer problem than a Spyder or BRP problem.

Not to throw any blame back on you... but there's no way my Spyder is staying at any dealer that isn't working on it within a week. I wouldn't tolerate it and would have gone and taken it from them long ago.

Why wasn't your tow covered by BEST or by your vehicle insurance???

$150 for a 16 mile tow?
    Don't have the BEST warranty but the unit is still covered under factory . I submitted the tow and will see. Dealer told me that they would have the job done within 4days to me that means there working on it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindawg1962 View Post
    1BLACKSPYDER - Why not pull it out of that place and take it north to Rob's on HWY 26 in Jefferson, WI? They are a supporter on this forum and not too far from you. Also have UKE's in Kenosha as a BRP Spyder dealer/service center that may be closer to you. If you need, I am not that far north and I can bring a snowmobile trailer down to help you move it to another location rather than a towing service.
    Wow, what a generous offer!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Do keep us posted.
    Some people have more towels than others....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up helping others is the right thing to do, BRAVO ZULU

Love to know that a member like Huntingdawg are still around.

Spyder Garage

I completely understand. if I were to find myself in your situation I probably would do the same. Good Luck and enjoy your new ride...
    Last edited by Chazzman; 07-14-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    'Bikeless'

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1BLACKSPYDER View Post
    Don't have the BEST warranty but the unit is still covered under factory . I submitted the tow and will see. Dealer told me that they would have the job done within 4days to me that means there working on it?
    1BLACKSPYDER - looks like your last post and mine happened about the same time so you may not have seen it or may be opting to let Potts finish working on it - I know in this area we hear that Potts is one of the better places but sometimes stuff happens on a case by case basis that makes it not so pleasant. If you want to do the move though let me know as I have to get there (and get you moved to another place) before they close for the weekend. But that may set you back on time if Potts is in fact working on it already. My offer is real if you want. I like taking rides to other dealers - never know what farkle they may have that I don't need but just have to get anyhow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chazzman View Post
    I completely understand. if I were to find myself in your situation I probably would do the same. Good Luck and enjoy your new ride...
    Yup Spyder ownership is not for everyone, let us know what "shiny" addiction causing bike you get next!
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Love to know that a member like Huntingdawg are still around.
    Spyderlovers is littered with members like this. THE best place on the web for Spyders.
    The day we picked our Spyder up, WackyDan came to the dealer to meet us, and give some good advice you normally don't get from dealers. He didn't know us from Adam, and didn't need to take time out for that, but he did. I've met so many more good people in a month, than I ever did as with cars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Spyderlovers is littered with members like this. THE best place on the web for Spyders.
    The day we picked our Spyder up, WackyDan came to the dealer to meet us, and give some good advice you normally don't get from dealers. He didn't know us from Adam, and didn't need to take time out for that, but he did. I've met so many more good people in a month, than I ever did as with cars.
    Cool story............
    2011 RTS SM5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

1BLACKSPYDER - looks like your last post and mine happened about the same time so you may not have seen it or may be opting to let Potts finish working on it - I know in this area we hear that Potts is one of the better places but sometimes stuff happens on a case by case basis that makes it not so pleasant. If you want to do the move though let me know as I have to get there (and get you moved to another place) before they close for the weekend. But that may set you back on time if Potts is in fact working on it already. My offer is real if you want. I like taking rides to other dealers - never know what farkle they may have that I don't need but just have to get anyhow
    Huntingdawg, 1st let me say THANK YOU for your truly generous offer!! Members like you are one of the main reasons I invested in the spyder product and spyder community. Most all of the members on this fourm have been helpful and non-judgemental offering solutions to problems instead of just negitive opinions. From what I have been told by the service manager the bike was on their rack and beeing serviced at 5pm Friday eve. He also told me it was his last day of employment for the dealership and that the tech will be off work Sat, Sun & Monday. I was also instructed to call the dealer late afternoon on Tuesday of this comming week. My plan is to call the owner Jim Potts on Monday and ask for his advice on how to get the job finished. If the dealer decides that they are unable or just can't handle the repair I might just take you up on your unselfish offer to move the bike. Jim Potts normaly has a great service reputation and is why I was confident it would be finished when prommised. I will have no choice but to wait another weekend to see wich direction to go. Thank you again for your offer. You are one of the prime examples of what being a Spyder owner is all about!! This is why Spyderlover.com has become such a great success. Thanks again!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a good plan. I am on here daily (usually) so you can PM me or use this thread if you want to set a move up. With any luck your call with Mr Potts will have good results. I had a similar situation with a different dealer up this way - and I was getting upset that it was not done the same day I took it in not even weeks late - I spoke with the owner and have to say that it was indeed done that evening before they left (actually both machines were done).

Good luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Light

I just bought a Spyder last weekend , pick it up Monday and rode it 1 hr before the check engine light came on.. Trip back to the dealer and maybe it will be fixed by next weekend., if the part comes in. That was a bummer.
    One thing that I did notice that was a tad of a problem is that I have a very flat heated seat and slide around a bit too much.
    Silk