Thread: Frunk power??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Frunk power??

Has anyone done the brp front trunk power outlet? Just curious what the install is like. Is everything in this kit? Is it a tupperware party?

http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...wer_Outlet_Kit

Thanks
    Josh

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had it installed during my 600 mile service and my dealer only charged me for the part. I think I got lucky.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Frunk power??

I had my dealer install & it works fine. Glad I had it done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Camdenlake View Post
    Has anyone done the brp front trunk power outlet? Just curious what the install is like. Is everything in this kit? Is it a tupperware party?

http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...wer_Outlet_Kit

Thanks
    Josh
    Depends on which model Spyder you're installing it on. The 12v plug for the trunk on an RS isn't that difficult--- but you will be removing the trunk to do it.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did the install on my GS. It took about an hour and you do have to take the front end off. On the GS make sure the outlet lines up correctly in the space between front frame supports. The template that comes with the outlet did not line up correctly or I just had a hard time getting the template lined up .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry forgot i didnt create a sig. Its s 2011 RT.

Josh

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

A 2011 RT would be more difficult. As far as I can tell, for 2011 BRP removed the wiring pigtail that was there in 2010 to feed the optional front outlet. I have not removed the trunk, so I can't absolutely guarantee that, but there is no pigtail anywhere I can access with the body panels off...unlike my 2010. That means you will have to install an auxiliary fuse block and wire to the outlet. I don't know the purpose of your additional outlet (you already have one in the rear cargo compartment), but in my opinion Powerlet outlet(s) mounted on the console are easier. I put the ones on my 2011 in the speaker grills.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A 2011 RT would be more difficult. As far as I can tell, for 2011 BRP removed the wiring pigtail that was there in 2010 to feed the optional front outlet. I have not removed the trunk, so I can't absolutely guarantee that, but there is no pigtail anywhere I can access with the body panels off...unlike my 2010. That means you will have to install an auxiliary fuse block and wire to the outlet. I don't know the purpose of your additional outlet (you already have one in the rear cargo compartment), but in my opinion Powerlet outlet(s) mounted on the console are easier. I put the ones on my 2011 in the speaker grills.

Its to charge the camera i am mounting on the front area. Just wanted to tuck it out of the way i hate wires everywhere. I had a look and figured there was no pigtail. Wonder why they still offer it. Will create somthing i guess.

Josh

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Camdenlake View Post
    Its to charge the camera i am mounting on the front area. Just wanted to tuck it out of the way i hate wires everywhere. I had a look and figured there was no pigtail. Wonder why they still offer it. Will create somthing i guess.

Josh
    They actually sell it mainly (and originally) for the RS, but tacked on the RT because it could be used in 2010.

Spyder Garage

I installed it on my 2008 GS yesterday while I was installing Fog Light Kit. There are 2 empty fuse spots, Accessory switched and accessory un-switched. Will the AC addapter only work with with the Switched fuse, could not get it to work with un-switched.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    I installed it on my 2008 GS yesterday while I was installing Fog Light Kit. There are 2 empty fuse spots, Accessory switched and accessory un-switched. Will the AC addapter only work with with the Switched fuse, could not get it to work with un-switched.
    This does not apply to the RT, as per the original post.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post location for power outlet

Waking up an old thread...
    I plan to install a power outlet in the trunk of my RS this weekend.
    For the folks who have done this already, where exactly in the trunk did you mount the outlet?
    I'm just using an off-the-shelf power socket, not the BRP kit so I won't have the benefit of BRP's install template and instructions.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cstall View Post
    Waking up an old thread...
    I plan to install a power outlet in the trunk of my RS this weekend.
    For the folks who have done this already, where exactly in the trunk did you mount the outlet?
    I'm just using an off-the-shelf power socket, not the BRP kit so I won't have the benefit of BRP's install template and instructions.
    There is a marked place cast into the trunk, that can be seen from the inside of the trunk. It is located on the left side of the Spyder, about midway down the back wall. If you have a trunk liner, there is a flap there.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ref the power socket in the Frunk on a RT

I have the RT-S SE5 2010 Model - I find the light installed in the Frunk to be of little value as its not very bright
    as it has power going to it - Could the light be removed and a Power socket installed in its place as the hole for the light is already there

I have no intention of doing it - I have already added to extra power sockets on the outside of my Spyder - See

2 Din Power Sockets fitted to Spyder RT

Someone may be able to give guidance on if it could be done, What's involved e.g. Fuse size etc

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question, Eddie!
    There might be some issue with how to get the power on or off at the correct times... I'm not sure how that "light" (Made by Lucas?? ) receives it's instructions...
    But it should be manageable project!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Limited

it has a power outlet power cable that is tywraped to the frame behind the trunk that has power to it and is ready to plug into the outlet. You have to look hard, but I think it is there, it is there on the 2012's

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I installed one on my 2011 RS last summer. Directions included in the package. Yes you have to remove the Frunk and drill a large hole, about a 1 1/8". There is a power supply cord for the outlet tied up to the frame. Not a bad project Need a 6 pack to finish. Consider any other projects you want to do with the Frunk off. I would do a Baha Ron torsion bar at this point...your all apart. Also any lighting projects, Xenon headlamps etc. It is also a great time to grease the suspension, check fluid levels etc. Good luck

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Forgot to point out, you need to move the proper size spare fuse to the outlet location in the fuse box.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    Forgot to point out, you need to move the proper size spare fuse to the outlet location in the fuse box.
    3 amp fuse.