Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sparks,
    You know that I never meant to throw you under the bus. I just figured that if you don't know it; then it's something not worth knowing about.
    At least when it's about 'lectercity or Boa Skis!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Bob, I bought the BEST warranty when I bought BR1 last March (2011) so I guess my cost will be nil. However, what kind of money are we talking about for a new one with NO warranty help? I am courous about these costs. The dealer said it would be arrive "Tuesday or Wednesday" but I have little faith in BRP to ship quickly...I will keep all informed as "The Spyder Turns". ha ha

Like i said that was over two years ago, The part was around ???375$ ??? W/Out labor.
    I can't remember what the labor charge was.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As posted in my first post, I had been riding with my group to breakfast...we rode about 200 miles round trip. BR1 ran great. I pulled up to my barn, shut him off, went in and opened the barn door, took off my jacket and started him up to go into the barn. When I put him in gear....BANG BANG BANG!! I quickly shut him down and pushed him in to his parking place. I started him again and when in gear...the same...put him in reverse...the same so I shut down, checked the oil which was okay, said some bad words and went into the house.

I don't remember if we have one or two years warranty on our Spyders....I think it is one year. Anyway, I did purchase the BEST three year warranty so if if the unit is around $500 and labor would be $100 or so...I saved much of my purchase price of $800.

Nearly all of the roads I ride are smooth west Texas roads. No bumps or potholes so BR1 has not been banged around to make the ECU fail. I never mistreat BR1. The ECM just failed.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

George,
    Did they get BR 1 back on the road yet?
    CB
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    George,
    Did they get BR 1 back on the road yet?
    CB
    No, he is still in the shop. Part is on backorder. Dealer said BRP is not shipping parts due to "taking inventory" with no idea when they will get the part. DUH!! I called their customer service and the young man said he was not aware of that and could not connect me with the dept. that ships parts...DUH #2

Last edited by Mr. White; 08-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

George; Please keep us posted on your progress. Good Luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, if they fool with me very much, I will go get BR1 and take him to another dealer. There are three within a fifty mile area and a friend of mine know the service manager in one and says he is good. I bought BR1 from this dealer and feel some sort of allegiance to them. However, this will disappear quickly if they are jacking me around. I will attempt to get in touch with Carlos tomorrow and see if BRP is not shipping parts for whatever reason. Not shipping because they are "taking inventory" is a bit shallow....more later.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP will (may) ship my part this week. They are in a scheduled BRP vacation period and things have slowed down in all areas. Remember, they are French. When I lived in Europe, most of the countries "shut down" for "holiday" the month of August. The Germans who worked for me talked about, planned and saved for their "holiday" for six months...

Anyway, my part should be here "soon". ha ha The standard European answer to most shipping questions....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP will (may) ship my part this week. They are in a scheduled BRP vacation period and things have slowed down in all areas.
    Anyway, my part should be here "soon". ha ha The standard European answer to most shipping questions....

I've been up to Tug Hill NY the last two weekends, And when i was headed home South on the NYS Thruway at least 50% of the cars, trailers, and motorhomes were from Canada, It looked like the whole of Canada was closed and headed south.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I've been up to Tug Hill NY the last two weekends, And when i was headed home South on the NYS Thruway at least 50% of the cars, trailers, and motorhomes were from Canada, It looked like the whole of Canada was closed and headed south.
    Ha ha, Bob, that is funny. Aug. 1, Europe shuts down, it is hard to get something to eat in the smaller towns... Canada too, I guess...

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

No, he is still in the shop. Part is on backorder. Dealer said BRP is not shipping parts due to "taking inventory" with no idea when they will get the part. DUH!! I called their customer service and the young man said he was not aware of that and could not connect me with the dept. that ships parts...DUH #2

I think my dealer may be having some financial problems and be on COD from BRP. I will try to contact Carlos Monday and see if I can find out anything. There have been some other unfavorable stories about this dealer.
    I hope you get BR1 back soon. If this is the dealership south of San Antonio, they are really friendly, but they also appear to be a very small dealership supporting the rural area. I think they have 2 mechanics and only one that works on spyders. I think the dealership changed hands about 2 years ago and is family owned.

I bought my RT from the dealership in New Braunfels because I was concerned about possible "financial problems" that you mentioned with the other dealer. I didn't want to make a purchase with them and then not get support later. It may be all mental and nothing to it, but it caused me to purchase elsewhere.

I bought a prepaid scheduled maintenance plan to cover the first 3 years of ownership when I bought my RT. I was concerned that the small dealer wouldn't be around to do the maintenance and I'd be out the money that I spent on the maintenance plan. They are the closest and most conveniently located to me, but that wasn't enough to gain my business.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, the dealer is south of town. I am glad to report that my part is on order and BRP said they will ship sometime this week. They are in a vacation mode. So far, I have received good service and have had no problems. I hope they are not having financial problems as it is a nice shop....not the closest to me, but have served me well. We will see how it goes.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took BR1 to the dealer July 17 with a bad ECM. They ordered it and said ten days. Today I called the dealer and it is still on backorder. I called BRP and was told he could not check on the shipping status. The dealer say they check on b/o parts twice a week.

Now over three weeks....and many have waited much longer for parts shipments. I just went out to the barn and petted Punkin', my twelve year old Gold Wing/Motor Trike and said "thanks for being here for me". He grinned and said, "lets ride, big guy". He always knows how to cheer me up.

I have no confidence in BR1 and will probably sell him if I ever get him back and buy a 2013 Wing and trike it....don't worry, Punkin', I will still ride you once in a while as my trusted backup....

Punkin' has never been in the shop other than for a frame crack recall, which he did not need. 62,000 trouble free miles and he always starts.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that it has had to come to this...
    Please keep us posted on this ongoing ordeal!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I took BR1 to the dealer July 17 with a bad ECM. They ordered it and said ten days. Today I called the dealer and it is still on backorder. I called BRP and was told he could not check on the shipping status. The dealer say they check on b/o parts twice a week.

Now over three weeks....and many have waited much longer for parts shipments. I just went out to the barn and petted Punkin', my twelve year old Gold Wing/Motor Trike and said "thanks for being here for me". He grinned and said, "lets ride, big guy". He always knows how to cheer me up.

I have no confidence in BR1 and will probably sell him if I ever get him back and buy a 2013 Wing and trike it....don't worry, Punkin', I will still ride you once in a while as my trusted backup....

Punkin' has never been in the shop other than for a frame crack recall, which he did not need. 62,000 trouble free miles and he always starts.
    ECM on back order? Either lots of failures they weren't ready for or pisspoor stocking of repair parts by BRP. No excuses. Good luck on the Wing. Awesome vehicles. Been looking myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

If you know it is the ECM causing the problem, have you called the other BRP shops in the area to see if they have the parts on hand?

Sorry that you have been without BR1 for so long. I hope this gets resolved quickly. I definitely understand your concerns about BR1's reliability and maybe stranding you someplace. I'd be upset knowing that I was losing out on my summer riding enjoyment if my RT was in the shop. You are fortunate that you still have Punkin' to keep your sanity and still be able to ride.

Before I bought my RT, I considered a trike conversion for a GoldWing and I even looked at an HD TriGlide since I owned an HD RoadKing at the time that I was looking at trikes. It was more expensive to go with a GW Trike conversion, but I knew it would be reliable. I wasn't sure about reliability on the HD TriGlide, but it had other issues that I didn't like about it.

The reason that I chose the RT over the other trikes was because I didn't like the feeling that a standard trike gives me when cornering. I feel like I'm going to tip over or that the front wheel won't keep its line in the corner and cause me to miss the turn if I enter the corner too fast. I don't have that feeling on the RT. I'm also secretly hoping that the simpler layout of the brake and semi-auto on the RT might get my wife to try her own spyder instead of being the passenger all of the time.

Spyder Garage

my brother airforce mate keep us informed on what happens and when you get the new wing send a picture ,ive had many bikes two were wings but the frist ones with no bags or any thing i just put on a sheld and rode them.keep us informed.sorry to hear all the wate to get the spyder fixed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

While they may not be able to check shipping status. They should be able to give you a reason for why it is on back order.

Unacceptable customer service. IMO

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

It saddens me to read about the BS that is going on with your and getting the repair parts to get you back on the road.

The fact that no one will track down and let you know the real status of the much needed repair part bothers me a lot. For BRP not to have a part of that importance just blows my mind that they are out of stock on it.

I recommend calling around to the other dealers. At this point, alllegiance has nothing to do with sticking it out. The current dealer has had more than enough chances to rectify the situation.

I am also sorry to hear that you are at the point where its time for BR1 to find a new owner. I hope it does not come to that and you are able to get the problem solved to your satisfaction.

Please keep us posted as to how this all works out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Big Red has been in the shop four weeks yesterday. I called the dealer and they said the ECM should ship this week. BRP is behind on shipping "due to model change over, vacations, etc". They have 17 Spyders in their shop waiting on parts, tires, etc.

They don't borrow or get parts from other dealers due to extensive paperwork and travel....??? Hmm Okay.

As I have my trusty Punkin', I am not getting too excited with this very poor BRP service....These folks have been up front with me in the past with in and out service for oil changes, etc and my steering sensor going out...they had one and fixed it in less than an hour.

Being a kind hearted soul that I am, I will probably give BR1/BRP a second chance and ride him until the next breakdown (and there will be another), then I will sell him and get a second Wing and trike it.

I am truly disappointed with my $30,000+ purchase as I have said before, I will trike a 2013 or 2014 Wing. I am going to keep Punkin' as long as he continues to run like a hose....

Hey, the Spyder itself is a great machine, but the dependability and service and or parts are......hmmmmm My dealer has done okay...if BRP don't ship...they are hurting....I understand that and don't fuss at them....hey, they want those repairs out the door so they can get paid....

It was mentioned that a GW trike might turn over...?? I have 62K on Punkin' and ride him hard on FM337 west of Vanderpool, TX, it being one of his favorite roads....337 does provide interesting riding...you drop off a steep hills for 1/2 mile and come to an S turn...the first part is shallow and smooth, then when you recover the next is a 10 mph crackback. (better taken @ 8 mph) The TX DOT finally put guard rails on these curves (there are several) but I don't know why they did this...Oh,I know, it is 450' drop straight down at the edge of the road. Six weeks ago one our my riding buddies went in too fast to the first curve, could not recover for the next and slid 55' on his various body parts before hitting the guard rail. TX DOT are very wise....The Orthopedic MD told him "never ride a m/c again with your back damage".

I have Punkin' set up with a firm ride when going into the twisties with my on board air compressor. NEVER felt he was going to roll....and you can buy a new 2012 GW trike for <$29,000....ABS, nav, XM...$33-35,000.

More later in chapter six of "As the Spyder Turns". Tune in next week folks for maybe the finale.....or not!! .

Last edited by Mr. White; 08-15-2012 at 05:36 PM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Default A brighter tomorrow

Hope you get BR1 back and have 100,000 trouble free miles......smiles. You deserve it.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I don't understand the unable to get part by the dealer. I was on a 6000 mile plus tour of the west at the end of July and needed a throttle body and was in Rapid City SD, about 2000 miles from home. The service manager called brp because it was idling rough and they gave an OK on a new throttle body and shipped it overnight. While waiting, I toured the black hills that Pm and watched the Hells Angels converge on Spearfish for their rally. The Tech was great, and told me he was, and when the throttle body came he proved it by installing it in 2 hours.
    He also checked the bike over and made some adjustments all covered by warranty. It was a pleasant break from the 111 degree heat that in which I had been riding. Then on to the Big Horn Mts. and then the lost coast of Calif. where I put the bike through a good test by riding the 250 or so miles from Susanville to Fortuna, over mts. and valleys mostly twisty. Great trip, love the Spyder, I have over 20000 miles in the year that I have owned it. Too bad some dealers give the brand a bad or at least a disappointing name. When I need something my dealer cannot get I call around to I find it, the district managers can help with this. Keep the faith.

Spyder Garage

Big Red has been in the shop four weeks yesterday. I called the dealer and they said the ECM should ship this week. BRP is behind on shipping "due to model change over, vacations, etc". They have 17 Spyders in their shop waiting on parts, tires, etc.

They don't borrow or get parts from other dealers due to extensive paperwork and travel....??? Hmm Okay.

As I have my trusty Punkin', I am not getting too excited with this very poor BRP service....These folks have been up front with me in the past with in and out service for oil changes, etc and my steering sensor going out...they had one and fixed it in less than an hour.

Being a kind hearted soul that I am, I will probably give BR1/BRP a second chance and ride him until the next breakdown (and there will be another), then I will sell him and get a second Wing and trike it.

I am truly disappointed with my $30,000+ purchase as I have said before, I will trike a 2013 or 2014 Wing. I am going to keep Punkin' as long as he continues to run like a hose....

Hey, the Spyder itself is a great machine, but the dependability and service and or parts are......hmmmmm My dealer has done okay...if BRP don't ship...they are hurting....I understand that and don't fuss at them....hey, they want those repairs out the door so they can get paid....

It was mentioned that a GW trike might turn over...?? I have 62K on Punkin' and ride him hard on FM337 west of Vanderpool, TX, it being one of his favorite roads....337 does provide interesting riding...you drop off a steep hills for 1/2 mile and come to an S turn...the first part is shallow and smooth, then when you recover the next is a 10 mph crackback. (better taken @ 8 mph) The TX DOT finally put guard rails on these curves (there are several) but I don't know why they did this...Oh,I know, it is 450' drop straight down at the edge of the road. Six weeks ago one our my riding buddies went in too fast to the first curve, could not recover for the next and slid 55' on his various body parts before hitting the guard rail. TX DOT are very wise....The Orthopedic MD told him "never ride a m/c again with your back damage".

I have Punkin' set up with a firm ride when going into the twisties with my on board air compressor. NEVER felt he was going to roll....and you can buy a new 2012 GW trike for <$29,000....ABS, nav, XM...$33-35,000.

More later in chapter six of "As the Spyder Turns". Tune in next week folks for maybe the finale.....or not!! .

Sorry to hear of your BRP issues, I too have seem to have had some BRP troubles. I am also thinking about GW Trike but when the RT is working it is a nice handling bike, I will have to think about it over the winter.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

George,
    We have never met, but I feel like we are pals. I would really hate to see you walk away from BR1, but I understand your frustration. I wish there were something I could do to help. Whether you keep BR1 or go a different route, you better be sure to keep posting here!