Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 600 mile service question

I have 2000 miles on my RT-S already but haven't had the $450 the dealer quoted to get 600 mile service done yet. I've decided to not ride until I can get the service done.

I love riding, so it's hard to not ride. Would it be ok to do an oil change myself then take it in for the service when I can afford it? What do you think?
    ----
    2011 Spyder RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since you say you're not going to ride the spyder until you can afford it; I'd tend to keep the money you would spend on the oil change and save it for your service. If you do the oil change, remember to keep all receipts and check with the dealership maybe they'll give you a price break if you do change the oil. How's good old Fairfield? I was station at Travis from '76 to '79. I have some in-laws living in Vaccaville. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Dale

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. I'll save up for the full service. Fairfield hasn't changed much. The schools are much worse. That's about it.
    ----
    2011 Spyder RT-S

Spyder Garage

If you don't have the budget yet not a lot you can do about it, but the 600 mile service is quite important. It more of an inspection, they check belt alignment and tension, check the dealer assembly is holding up. But I would at least change the oil, I pushed my first service to 800 and I have seen post where some have pushed to 1000/1200 but I would personally stop ridding as you have stated.

Btw, $450 seems high, my first service was only $240 and I thought that's expensive are there any other good dealers close to you.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to call around tomorrow to see if I can find cheaper. If I can get that price, I can get it done faster.
    ----
    2011 Spyder RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default crazy

that is crazy that you all are paying that for your first service. My dealer here in NC it is only 80 for the 600 mi service.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

ya - agree - here in my area the 600 service WITH oil change was about $300.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dschnepp View Post
    . My dealer here in NC it is only 80 for the 600 mi service.

You couldn't even buy just the oil and filters for 80$

Spyder Garage

$250-300 seems to be the going rate for that first service. When you get to the 12,000 mile service, recommend you elect not to have the valves checked and adjusted. That piece adds another $600 to the package. Generally, most on the site are holding off since those who have had the service did not need any adjustment. I waiting until at least 36K on mine--my dealer is doing the same on his.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dschnepp View Post
    that is crazy that you all are paying that for your first service. My dealer here in NC it is only 80 for the 600 mi service.
    They must be talking parts only. I had mine done here in Charlotte NC area for $275.