Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ease my fears

Spyder Garage

Default Ease my fears

I am fairly new at this have only had my spyder for a couple weeks. I have rode motorcycles and four wheelers all my life. I am still having problems trusting the spyder at interstate speeds. I am 59 years old am I to old for this? Do I need more riding experiance? Help me ease my fears.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Don't be afraid but be careful. I am 63, a three time cancer survivor and have Arthritus in my right leg and walk with a cane. I'll ride anywhere anytime. You have every right to be careful but don't freel that this is beyond your age or ability. I think that you will find several folks here are in the same situation as I am with disabilities and way older than you are. Give it a chance and you will see the years fall off of your shoulders!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ma and pa View Post
    I am fairly new at this have only had my spyder for a couple weeks. I have rode motorcycles and four wheelers all my life. I am still having problems trusting the spyder at interstate speeds. I am 59 years old am I to old for this? Do I need more riding experiance? Help me ease my fears.
    Give it time. Don't ask it for more than you're capable of handling. It's a different animal and some take longer to adjust to it than others. You'll be fine. Don't rush it.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

It takes most people 250-500 miles or so to get somewhat comfortable with the spyder.

I rode two-wheelers for over 40 years and I was not comfortable until about 500 miles.

Start with parking lot--speeds up to 2nd gear. Try some lonley quieter roads where you are in the 30-50 zone or where you can ride slower until you get more confident.

Graduate to highway speed and at least drive the minimum.

Quirky handling can most of the time be attributed to driver over controlling the Spyder. Over controlling will make the Spyder seem to weave from side to side. See how little input you can put into the handlebars. I use a push pull motion for my turns. Give it some time and after about a thousand miles you will not feel the way you do now.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You are definitely not to old for this! Like you i have only had my spyder just 5 days. I have already put it up to 75 on the hwy and would not hesitate to ride it to California. I have found that i dont have to do anything but slightly hold the bars and just let it drive itself. I too have alot of hrs on atv's. But to me this is way easier than riding an atv. I am not suggesting go out and just ride the interstate if you are not comfortable but just give it some time and you and the machine will become one and you will want to take it everywhere. Plus you have the the whole spyder lovers community to ask and answer all of your questions. Dont hesitate to post your questions, because i have no doubt that they will get answered.
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

I'd guess that it is an experience thing. It takes some time...more for some folks than others. There are some things you can do to help. First, make sure your front tire pressures are even...and pump them up a bit. For most folks 18-20 psi up front works better than the specified 15. Second, relax your grip! They Spyder is easily overcontrolled. Holding it loosely, and even letting it wander a tiny bit in the wind or bumps, takes practice and concentration on your part at first. In time it comes more naturally. You may also want to adjust the front spring preload. The Spyder seems steadier at#4-5 on the shocks. Finally, if you seem to be having trouble with the Spyder following every bump and crown, wandering badly, have your alignment checked by a good dealer who has done it before. This is especially true if you are a heavier rider or ride two-up a lot. A little more toe-in than specified may be necessary. Hopefully this will all come together and you will soon feel like an old pro, passing semis with one hand.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Easy my fears

61 here, been riding since I was 14, now I don"t worry about falling over......

"LIFE WON'T CHANGE UNTIL YOU CHANGE YOUR LIFE"

Spyder Garage

Default felt the same way......

Make sure your front tires have 18-20 psi, put front shocks at highest level, and concentrate on not over working the handlebars. Then find some 55 mph 2 lane highways (with gentle curves) to practice on, until you feel ready for the interstate. It will come in no time (it's been noted before on this site that if you mention the bike you're riding, model and year, it makes it easier for people to help).
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield
    Next Up - Madstad Brackets, Floorboards, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

Spyder Garage

It is natural and will go away with exerience. A year ago when I bought the RT I have to admit it put a bit of a scare into me at higher speeds or crowded roads and I really don't care if I live or die, lol.. Now I am so comfortable with the bike I don't even think about it and travel up and down the I-5 corridore just for the pleasure of the ride. I just did a 2000 mile ride to Reno and back and had to travel during rush hour through Seattle and Portland with no hesitation. Take it slow and ride the roads you are comfortable with. You will soon be driving like a pro.

Good luck,

Randy

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Hang in there

You are not too old for the Spyder. I purchased my RT at Cowtown and with a little coaching from Len, I was on the road. I got my RT as a birthday present from me on my 75th birthday. I have close to 3000 miles, and loved every mile, a little shaky at first, but now the wife and I ride every chance we get. Hang in there and you will really enjoy and relax after a few miles. God Bless !

Spyder Garage

I'm 72 & have had my Spyder for 12 days.

Getting more at ease riding it, but every time I go out (normally about 100 miles) I find a situation in which I am not comfortable.

As I have improved a lot over the 12 days I assume I will continue to do so.

It is tight curves that get me flustered as I seem to correct myself several times going round one & am frightened of tipping or raising a wheel or falling off (was not that great on 2 wheels). Interstate type roads don't faze me & I easily keep up with the traffic.

Lets hope we both become more comfortable controlling our new & expensive acquisitions.

Spyder Garage

Default You can do it

We never rode before, but were able to get on our Spyder and go. It takes some getting used to, as everyone has said but when you get used to it it is a blast to ride. Relax and have fun!!!

Spyder Garage

I got my first Spyder at 59 having never been on a two wheel bike. That may have been an advantage. I got on it and drove it across the country, more or less, twice. I also took it up to an honest 114 MPH to see if the governor would kick in at 110. It didn't. I am not much of a daredevil but the RS is solid at pretty much any speed you want to go. That won't keep you from falling off or someone from hitting you. Bottomline, I trust the bike. It really is a bit of an engineering marvel when you consider what you are getting and at what price.

Now watch me fall off on my next ride.
    Last edited by Recluze; 07-11-2012 at 07:05 AM.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

You are getting some very good advice in this thread. I can only add that you definitely are not too old. I am 75+ (not the oldest on spyderlovers.com) and I am on my third Spyder. I ride close to 50,000 miles per year. You will be fine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

TOO OLD?!?!?!?! what did you say?? if you're too old I have nothing to look forward to... so stop thinking like that!! It's just new, you have to adjust and get use to it.

Just go out ride, relax and have fun!!

Spyder Garage

Default TOO OLD!!!

Golly!!! I wish I was 59 again. Those were the years!!! Congratulations on your purchase. You made the right choice.
    Don't worry my friend, it will grow on you. It does take some practice but it will definitely come to you.

Drive safe!

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

I've only had my Spyder since June 20th, and I can tell you that after I rode home from the dealer, I did not see how in the world I could ever ride at interstate speeds. Now, I love interstate riding and I'm amazed how smooth it is at those speeds. Like others have said, take it slow, stay within your comfort zone, and you'll be fine.

Spyder Garage

Yes, what everyone else has said. I think I was one of the folks who took longer to adjust -- I still had moments in the mountains where I got a little white knuckled even after 1000 miles. Today I had no white knuckle moments including taking recommended 20mph curves at 40+ and I'm nearly at 2000 miles now. Just drive within your comfort zone for as long as it takes. You'll see your comfort zone change over time.

Enjoy it and don't worry!
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default SPYD3R RIDER

64 n ready to turn 21....
    don't worry my friend... i got my 2009, n had no idea what to expect... i rode down back-roads for the first month or so... the more u ride, the more comfortable u'll feel.... i now have 22,000+ miles on my bike, n feel like it's a part of me.... ride safely and enjoy..... and when you're in Greenville, SC, let me know, we'll ride together......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    I got my first Spyder at 59 having never been on a two wheel bike. That may have been an advantage. I got on it and drove it across the country, more or less, twice. I also took it up to an honest 114 MPH to see if the governor would kick in at 110. It didn't. I am not much of a daredevil but the RS is solid at pretty much any speed you want to go. That won't keep you from falling off or someone from hitting you. Bottomline, I trust the bike. It really is a bit of an engineering marvel when you consider what you are getting and at what price.

Now watch me fall of on my next ride.
    114 mph....? i didn't know California had such high speed limits....

Spyder Garage

Too old? I'm 61 and got a Spyder because my legs were giving me problems on my two wheeler.

I don't think you're too old...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 Spyder RS-S SE5 and it handels great at Interstate speeds even in the wind. My wife and I rode from NE Georgia to Key West, Fl. and back, a 2100 mile trip mostly on I95. It (the Spyder) liked to run 65 to 70 mph.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka Shocks might help

I would adjust your front shocks setting to 5 and tire pressure to 18psi. if you still feel to much rocking then spring for some upgraded Elka shocks. I have mine on order and I am told they really smooth out the spyder at high speeds and corners.

Spyder Garage

Default Ease my fears

I never rode a bike in my life & last year i got a 2011 RT A/C, About 9000 miles to date. Oh yeah, I'm 76.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It will get easier. I had never rode a motorcycle. The first few times on my Spyder, I would hold my breath and my body would get stiff every time a large truck passed by. Now I am stress free and happy every time I ride. GIVE IT TIME