Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ok, gps questions

I have a 2009 rs (I guess technically, a gs). Looking to add a Zumo on my bike. I probably won't hard wire it right away. The mount options are the BRP mount or one that attaches to the round part of the bars. I really don't want to drill holes in the dash. All this stuff is freakin expensive so any help or experiences appreciated before I dive in. My questions:
    --How does the BRP mount work? From the scant photos on their site, there appears to be a clip on the bottom but I can't tell what actually holds it on?
    --As far as a ram mount to the round part of the bars--is there enough room to mount it away from the switch clusters? Would seem that if it's too close to the clusters the gps will overhang the clusters and will be in the way of your hands.
    --Am considering both the Zumo 660 and the brand new Zumo 350LM. Seems like there are pros and cons to both. The 350 has a longer battery life but the battery is not user replaceable. The 660 battery is replaceable but I cannot tell if the battery is proprietary or if it's something you can buy at a store and replace. I'm also concerned about buying older technology and perhaps the 660 is getting long in the tooth? Or maybe not?
    --There are electrical contacts on both the gps mount and the back of the gps unit. When removing the gps, can you or do you remove the gps mount or does it stay on the bike?
    --If I choose a ram mount that bolts to the round part of the bars, what size diameter would I specify?
    --Will gps directions play through my iPhone 4s earbuds via bluetooth? I've found mixed reviews about whether this works, or how well it works.
    --Finally, a lot of reviews I've read say that the screen is somewhat unreadable with polarized sunglasses. If you can't read the screen with sunglasses while riding, then what's the point? I have to wear sunglasses when I ride due to early stage cataracts.

I'd love to have gps for riding but really need some trusted feedback before I make a commitment. Thanks guys.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm gonna lurk on this one... I'm also looking for a GPS. I'd like to be able to plan a trip on software similar to Streets and trips, then download that route to the GPS.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnkc View Post
    I have a 2009 rs (I guess technically, a gs). Looking to add a Zumo on my bike. I probably won't hard wire it right away. The mount options are the BRP mount or one that attaches to the round part of the bars. I really don't want to drill holes in the dash. All this stuff is freakin expensive so any help or experiences appreciated before I dive in. My questions:
    --How does the BRP mount work? From the scant photos on their site, there appears to be a clip on the bottom but I can't tell what actually holds it on?
    --As far as a ram mount to the round part of the bars--is there enough room to mount it away from the switch clusters? Would seem that if it's too close to the clusters the gps will overhang the clusters and will be in the way of your hands.
    --Am considering both the Zumo 660 and the brand new Zumo 350LM. Seems like there are pros and cons to both. The 350 has a longer battery life but the battery is not user replaceable. The 660 battery is replaceable but I cannot tell if the battery is proprietary or if it's something you can buy at a store and replace. I'm also concerned about buying older technology and perhaps the 660 is getting long in the tooth? Or maybe not?
    --There are electrical contacts on both the gps mount and the back of the gps unit. When removing the gps, can you or do you remove the gps mount or does it stay on the bike?
    --If I choose a ram mount that bolts to the round part of the bars, what size diameter would I specify?
    --Will gps directions play through my iPhone 4s earbuds via bluetooth? I've found mixed reviews about whether this works, or how well it works.
    --Finally, a lot of reviews I've read say that the screen is somewhat unreadable with polarized sunglasses. If you can't read the screen with sunglasses while riding, then what's the point? I have to wear sunglasses when I ride due to early stage cataracts.

I'd love to have gps for riding but really need some trusted feedback before I make a commitment. Thanks guys.
    Can't answer all your questions but I can answer some:
    1. I really, really like RAM mounts. Look in the how to section of this website for many RAM options. I myself bought the clutch cover replacement ball mount thing and love it. With a RAM mount you have a huge range of motion to position it exactly the way you want.

2. If you have a wired headset connected to your iphone, I am pretty sure it will not act as a bluetooth receiver and play the zumo audio output through the headset. You can however go the other way, wired to the Zumo and have it act as a bluetooth receiver for the wireless output from the phone.

3. Polarization problems come from the fact the GPS screen is polarized too. If the "polarity" of the two polarized lenses (sunglasses and screen) do not perfectly align, they will act like shutters. Sunglasses are fine, you just have problems with polarized sunglasses. I did not think cataracts require polarization, polarization just reduces glare.

Good luck, lot of questions in one post.
    David

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post

I'm gonna lurk on this one... I'm also looking for a GPS. I'd like to be able to plan a trip on software similar to Streets and trips, then download that route to the GPS.
    I find it hard to do homework on this...software updates change some of the behavior of how gps units perform. You have to look at reviewer's post date to see if their complaints have been addressed with updates. At one point someone was having problems with Zumo and the ability to add routes. We'll see what others have to say.

Spyder Garage

The garmin zumo comes with a mount for round bars or you can stick on the inside of the windshield.

Spyder Garage

I've had two different Zumo models on my Harley and my wife has the RT Limited which came with the Zumo 660 so I will try and answer some of your questions.

1. BRP Mount - not sure about the additional mount as the one on my wife's RT came factory installed. Its installed "into" the handlebar assembly and is in there pretty good.
    2. RAM mounts - have a similar setup on the Harley. These handlebar mounts come with bars that allow you to position the GPS holder in various locations so I'm pretty sure you could find an acceptable place to attach the mount to the handlebar and then adjust the bar that hooks into the mount to position away from any instrumentation.
    3. 350 vs 660 - I had the predecessor to the 350 (550) and upgraded to the 650. Love the 650 much better. 650 is also the one that Can-Am shipped with the Limited. The screen was bigger on the 650 than the 550 making things much easier to operate and see.
    4. GPS mount - the mount stays on the bike. The GPS unit itself is removable. The package comes with a cover for the mount when the GPS is not installed so that it is protected from the weather.
    5. RAM mount size - sorry, no clue
    6. GPS directions - don't know as I hate the voice directions so I always turn them off anyway.
    7. Sunglasses - I always ride in sunglasses and have not had any problem reading my Zumo but I am able to adjust the angle. On the wife's Spyder the angle is not adjustable so it can be a problem with glare. May want to consider this if you get the BRP mount.

(Other poster question) As for using Google Maps or Street & Trips for route planning, I have not had great success with this unless you are riding just from point to point. But i have found the MapSource program that comes with the Garmin to be quite easy to use and I've had no problem mapping out routes.

I love the GPS and can not imagine being out on the bike without it, especially if you are in unfamiliar territory. A few years ago we were in Knoxville and took off into the Smokies. When we got tired of riding I just hit "return to hotel". You can wander off and then easily find your way back. Love it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have the ZUMO 660 on the RT LTD and I installed the 665 on my RT A&C. We did wire it in. We can hear the directions from the voice prompt on both. I also ride with sunglasses and can usually see the screen but my full face helmet makes it where you have to make a deliberate effort to look down at it. I did the 665 myself - with the only issue being a stripped alan head on the removal of the screws from the handlebar. If it don't strip for you it is about an hour job.

Now I am having some fun with the XM but the GPS works good. No issue with them popping off - the lock mechanism that comes with the GPS kit from Garmin holds it on nicely. ALso easy to remove and lock up when at a destination.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Routes and the Zumo

My RT-S has the Zumo 660. It works just fine for all of what I need it for.

The route planning is not very much fun on any of the devices, but.... Use a program called Tyre, and your worries are over http://www.tyretotravel.com/ It works with TomTom and Garmin devices and will enable you to download routes from other devices, convert them and send them directly to your Garmin or TomTom. The on screen route programming uses Google Maps, but is much easier to work with. I have been using it for several years on both TomTom and Garmin devices, and it works really well.

It was designed by motorcylists for motorcyclists. If you want to be adventurous, you can get the upgraded version (about $30 I think), which allows you to pick a starting point and tell it how far you want to go and it will create routes for you that go in a loop. You are presented with several optional routes, and you pick the one you want. It makes for some interesting trips to be sure. You can also give it a starting point and an ending point and how many miles you want to go in between and it will create a "scenic route" to get you there.

OK, that's my 2 cents. You are now on your own.

Bill
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here's a couple pics of the 660 mounted on my 2009 RS....This is BRP's version of the mount...I also have a Touratech security bracket it's mounted with as shown in the pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Littlebadwolf; 07-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default mount option

Here is how I mounted my gps on my 09 gs. Cost about 70 bucks (not including the gps unit) and about an hour to install, most of that was hooking up the power cable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default garmin 500 or 550m

I have been using the garmin Nuvi 500 for a few years now. The Nuvi 550 replaced it. Much cheaper than a Zumo. It is waterproof but no bluetooth. Not really a problem to see in most daylight conditions. Moved it from my 2008 GS to the RT last year. I found many acceptable mounts for it on ebay and quite reasonable. Good luck

Spyder Garage

Here's an option for hardwiring the Zummo.

The wire goes under the 'Y' panel and connects into the battery tender plug.

Note the fuse is in a handy place...

Used the accessories that came with the Zummo, except the ram mount on the handlebars.

Would probably still be on the road somewhere between here and Durango, if not for my new Little Friend
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

There are numerous options for RAM mounts on an RS. You can remove the spacer on the right side of the handlebar and use a standard 7/8" handlebar mount. I did this for a while on Nancy's.

You can also mount a ball on the adjustable windshield bracket if you have a CHAD or Madstad.

You can mount on the clutch master cylinder if you have an SM, but you will have to find replacement screws.

Or you can mount the BRP mount, which clamps to the left side of the handlebar cover.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

RKA has a tank bag available with a "dashboard" designed to accept various electronic devices. It also has a nifty way to get the bag wired. There are some photos of the RKA stuff mounted on Spyders. Too complicated for me, but interesting. Well worth a look if only for Rick's discussion of the comm issues.

rka-luggage.com

Spyder Garage

Since you have a iPhone 4s you already have a gps and you can get the Navigon app(made by Garmin) and a ram mount with a X-grip for your phone and mount it anywhere you want,mines attached to the metel part of my windshield (Madsted)mount,but you can use any Ram Mount you want. although the screen is small and hard to see at times,I use a bluetooth helmet to hear turn by turn from iPhone .
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bores1 makes two GPS mounts, a universal and one for the Garmin. I use the universal, and had no problems on a 26 mile ride (mostly freeway) this past Saturday. It consists of a piece of Velcro that sticks to your handle bar GPS Mount 001.jpg. A mount GPS Mount 002.jpg that connects between the Velcro on the handle bar and the Tomtom, and a piece of velcro that is applied to the Tomtom (no pic). Here is the Tomtom installed GPS Mount 003.jpg. Does not require any drilling, cutting or bolting. Easy to remove when leaving the bike too. Only thing I would do different is to install closer to the key.
    Last edited by Blue Star; 07-09-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well it would seem there is much ingenuity and many options for adding gps to a Spyder. I'm going with a Garmin 660; still deciding on the type of mount.
    If you are a member of The American Motorcyclists Assn. you can get a discount on certain Garmin products; about $35 off on the 660 if you buy direct from Garmin. I had to call Garmin to reset something on their website, but discounted pricing now appears when I log into their site.
    This is a great forum, thanks to all of you for providing ideas and info to help me make the right decisions. Hopefully this info will help others, too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You can remove the spacer on the right side of the handlebar and use a standard 7/8" handlebar mount.
    How would you go about removing that spacer and is there any reason you can't just clamp over the spacer?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    How would you go about removing that spacer and is there any reason you can't just clamp over the spacer?
    The spacer is hollow plastic, and should not be clamped. You can cut it off or remove the right control pod (throttle) and pull it off.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnkc View Post

my wife rides an 08 victory vegas and we bought a zumo 660 for it.

great gps unit.

we have been on several rides of 800 to 2400 miles and it has never let us down.

i am kinda afraid to put any electrical device on my spyder

i am looking for a hand held that has a bettery i can recharge at night as a backup unit for the spyder