Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How many miles have you ridden in one day on an RS?

I tried searching and did not find any info on how many miles anyone has put on a RS in one day. I am planning a trip this month and it is about 500 miles one way. I would like to run it in one day, but I don't think it would be fun ride for my wife. I think, I'll split it up into two days each way.

Anyone ever done the Iron Butt thing on a RS or RS-S?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I've done 700 in a day--- solo on my GS (same as RS)......

Two up will be more difficult....

Also depends greatly on what comforts you have installed.

I could not do it without: Corbin seat, handlebar risers, throttle lock.

If you have a stock seat it's gonna be a looooong day.

I'd lean towards breaking it into two days for the comfort and safety of your passenger.........wanna keep her happy.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default d to

My wife and I just rode 567 in one day on the way to Durango on our 2009 GS SE5..Corbin seat with Gel Pad cushions...If it wasn't for the heat and wind, we could have gone farther if we had to..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've done 700 in a day--- solo on my GS (same as RS)......

Two up will be more difficult....

Also depends greatly on what comforts you have installed.

I could not do it without: Corbin seat, handlebar risers, throttle lock.

If you have a stock seat it's gonna be a looooong day.

I'd lean towards breaking it into two days for the comfort and safety of your passenger.........wanna keep her happy.....
    I rode 255 miles on my stock seat, and if I was not 5 miles from home I would have stopped, and got off for a bit. I have since put on a BRP comfort seat, and can do the same ride with no problem. The stock seat is no good for a long ride.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

arntufun

Real men trailer thier Spyder and only ride when they get to where there going.

I had to laugh (with love of course) at all the Struggles people were having on thier way to Durango in the Heat !!! It Sounded like fun, sign me up !!!!

BTW, My Toyota truck never has to worry about limp modes hauling my Spyder either and has great A/C !!!!
    Last edited by arntufun; 07-08-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Real men trailer thier Spyder and only ride when they get to where there going.

I had to laugh at all the Struggles people were having on thier way to Durango in the Heat !!! It Sounded like fun, sign me up !!!!
    Yeah.. like I rode 2,500 miles to get to a TRAILER show..... lol.

It's about the journey--- NOT the destination. The day that I feel the need to trailer my Spyder to an event is the day you might as well dig my grave.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Stock seat, stock bars. 540 miles from home to Cowtown.

Mr Orange has done a few Iron Buts on his RS. Two 1000's and a 1500 I believe.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yeah.. like I rode 2,500 miles to get to a TRAILER show..... lol.

It's about the journey--- NOT the destination. The day that I feel the need to trailer my Spyder to an event is the day you might as well dig my grave.

Us younger guys that ride RS's might have a different outlook !!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Did almost 900 km (550 mi) when I had the GS with a stock seat and 1" riser. It wasn't bad, but am much happier on long hauls with the RT.
    YMMV,
    Rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Pahrump Nevada to Albuquerque New Mexico, 647 miles. Next day, Albuquerque to Oklahoma city, 635 miles. Ultimate seat, perfect ryde, easy risers, mirror extenders, Calsci windshild with 4 inch extender, SPX muffler, loud but worth it, 30+ miles per gallon. 2010 RS SE5. Loved every mile.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default miles

450 miles,
    Columbus Ohio to The tail of the Dragon... Well worth the distance as long as your destination is equally worth getting to...
    One weekend 1500 miles and back to work on Tuesday...

Spyder Garage

For your first long journey, breaking it up into two segments makes sense. Beyond 300-400 miles things get a bit tougher. You don't want to sour your wife on the experience. You can stretch the days farther as you get experience and talk about the idea. Just for the record, the Spyder GS/RS wasn't more than a few months old when a couple of riders did 50 CC rides (<50 hours Coast-to-Coast).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default longest haul

600 mi Amarillo, TX to Houston, TX; stock seat, 2" factory riser. Should add 105F heat from about Childress, TX on. Bike never overheated, but got stuck in "rush" hour traffic in Dallas and almost passed out. Had to stop just south of Dallas and chug down two Sonic Rt44 Strawberry limeades. Made it in one day though.

Have made several ~500 mi rides from Amarillo, TX to Killeen, TX in one day as well.

Would love to do an iron butt ride.
    A VERY HAPPY RIDER!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid - Cody Stell

'08 Yellow SM5, 2" BRP handlebar riser, Super Trapp exhaust, sport rack, seat back.
    Future wish list of updates, too numerous to list and too expensive to afford....and I just found Corbin.

Spyder Garage

512 miles from Sunrise, Fl to Codele, Ga..
    09 GS Comfort Seat and 1" block...
    BIOSAB

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    For your first long journey, breaking it up into two segments makes sense. Beyond 300-400 miles things get a bit tougher. You don't want to sour your wife on the experience.

A lot depends on the type of riding you're going to do. I broke up my big trip from DC to Chicago this spring into two slices because I knew the first day I'd do plenty of twisties through West Virginia and Ohio. So while it was only about 500 or so miles on the ODO, those were 500 seriously exciting miles. I was Wiped. Out. at the end of that day.

But the other leg of the trip was all sleepy straight backroads and slab, I did 500 miles on that and while tired I wasn't beat to the bone.

/ Ultimate Seat, risers, footboards
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I've done 500mi in one shot. Stock seat, no throttle lock, no riser or anything else as far as comfort goes. I was not feeling bad at all when we got back home either.

Spyder Garage

First long run on my RS was 1150 in 19 hours.
    Did another run on the RS that was just over 1200.

The RT is much better suited for long rides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

540 miles with trailer in tow, 08 GS, 1 inch riser, tall windshield and hiway pegs, from Jasper Alberta to Victoria B.C. after being stranded 4 hours from home first day on Oregon trip, due to mudslide and flooding, wiped out the highway.

Registered Users Peoriafirefighter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Green RSS;480817]I tried searching and did not find any info on how many miles anyone has put on a RS in one day. I am planning a trip this month and it is about 500 miles one way. I would like to run it in one day, but I don't think it would be fun ride for my wife. I think, I'll split it up into two days each way.

Anyone ever done the Iron Butt thing on a RS or RS-S?

Thanks

I just rode 1315 miles in 21 hours from Albuquerque NM to Peoria Illinois on my 2008 GS with stock seat but I do have 4 inch risers, throttlemeister, and a taller windshield.

Only did it because I felt like a race horse at the starting gate after being cooped up in Albuquerque for a week. Nothing wrong with Albuquerque "Andy", but I was anxious to get home to the wife.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RS long rides

I have a 2008 GS SM5 with stock seat and 1" riser. I did 1025 miles one day and 500 the next on the way to Alaska. Did 1085 miles on the way to Durango.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT-SME first trip we did about 440 miles a day no problems wife an I weren't wore out enjoyed every day trip was from pell city Alabama to newton Kansas then to Jackson miss. then home pell city LOVE EVERY MOMENT
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyder Garage

2 years ago I did 1004 miles in 18h 42minutes from Branson,MO to dirt town thru Fargo, ND. Got some pressure spots with the stock seat and stock handle bars, that was with 2 1 hour breaks to see joe E from MO and Larry from IA.

on the way to durango I did 1000 miles in 16hr 48 min, I hit 1389 at the 24hr mark and got to durango at 1566 miles in 27.5hrs straight on the bike. I have a air hawk 14"x10" pad and the foam cut out under it so you sit in the right spot.

As far as passenger comfort I would NOT say it is as good as a RT but you go to use what you have. If you build up to it 500 miles in a day is nothing.

I bought my spyder to ride it and I know some people have legit reasons for trailering their spyder but most don't to me, just seems to be a huge waste of money and time to just ride a motorcycle or a spyder around the area of a owners meet but people say I am crazy for the way I ride to.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

684 miles on my GS...could have went farther but I made it home first.

That is with a stock seat, with firefly's bead riders on it. ESI risers and touring shield.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

600 miles riding single. 350 with my bride of 51 years.

Spyder Garage

I rode 325 one way on the stock RS seat. After 125 mi. my rear end stayed there and I went on.