Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The Road to the Redwoods

This is the route I'm planning on taking to get from Vegas to Spyders in the Redwoods. I'll be leaving on Saturday the 4th. Hope to make it to Tracy before stopping for the night so I can take the coast highway at a bit more leisurely of a pace. Plus being my first road trip, I'm not sure just how far I -can- go right now. I'd be glad for the company if anyone wishes to join me. Only planned stop the first day is in Lemoore at the Bumblebee transformer statue thing (I'm a geek). Also like to know if there is anything else worth seeing along this route.
    Last edited by Arr MiHardies; 07-08-2012 at 02:52 AM.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

looks like a good route....we're not sure about our route...but know we want to go to Tahoe...we'll figure it out as we go.....it's all an adventure

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Going the Tahoe route for me would be 8 hours of desert riding just to get to Tahoe. Want to get out of the desert as quickly as possible. Should be out in 3 hours or so this way.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My favorite thing about SFran is the 680. Just sayin'. Also, 128 out the coast is outstanding. You come back to 101 at Legget so you still get the best of the redwoods enr Eureka.

Spyder Garage

Default If you get a chance.

If you get a chance and drive near or by this it is a great stopping place. Pay the price to go in and walk among the giants. Very interesting place. Been there three times and loved it each time. www.treesofmystery

Spyder Garage

On Hwy 101 there is a place called Confusion Hill. A must see tourist trap. Also, watch for the Legend of Bigfoot trading post or shop. Some cool wood carvings and tourist stuff.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Going the Tahoe route for me would be 8 hours of desert riding just to get to Tahoe. Want to get out of the desert as quickly as possible. Should be out in 3 hours or so this way.

Not to put a damper on things but I-5 though the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys IS a desert. It can be wicked hot in August. I would head to the coast and take the entire hwy 1. It will be quite a bit longer but you will be cool and the scenery is possibly the best in the nation.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    Not to put a damper on things but I-5 though the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys IS a desert. It can be wicked hot in August. I would head to the coast and take the entire hwy 1. It will be quite a bit longer but you will be cool and the scenery is possibly the best in the nation.
    Bob's right J. If you want to get to the cool zone head for the coast as soon a you can. We did last year. PCH up to Monterey then take the 101. It takes longer but the ryde is worth it. I-5 is brutally boring and hot. The 99 is too but at least there are towns and dealers along the way.

Are you the only one from LV going?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Bob's right J. If you want to get to the cool zone head for the coast as soon a you can. We did last year. PCH up to Monterey then take the 101. It takes longer but the ryde is worth it. I-5 is brutally boring and hot. The 99 is too but at least there are towns and dealers along the way.

Right, if you must do Lemore, 198 is nice road out to 101. If not 58 is a hoot just top off at the 5.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am taking this route up. I know it will be longer, but figure better when I have more energy. If I am tired of riding I can take the fast way home down the 5.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure Luigi Giusti is going, unless their plans change.

Spyder Garage

So, youre saying the 101 will be a cooler ride?

Spyder Garage

I'm seriously looking now at taking 99 up to Lemoore, then taking 198 over to 25, and following that north through hollister. Google street view makes it look like a very pretty country road, and within the spyders range, even on a bad tank.

Spyder Garage

if you're ok with adjusting your route, I recommend my route from last years SitR. Hwy 190 through the Sequoias to Porterville, spent the night in Tulare, then north out of Fresno on the 41 to the 49 to Grass Valley spent night #2 there, and then take the 20 across to the 101. Hwy 190 and 49 AUTOMATICALLY went into my top 10 all time fav roads. and you avoid the 99 and 5, for the most part. Just don't be in a hurry. take your time and enjoy the curves of these beautiful Gems.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    if you're ok with adjusting your route, I recommend my route from last years SitR. Hwy 190 through the Sequoias to Porterville, spent the night in Tulare, then north out of Fresno on the 41 to the 49 to Grass Valley spent night #2 there, and then take the 20 across to the 101. Hwy 190 and 49 AUTOMATICALLY went into my top 10 all time fav roads. and you avoid the 99 and 5, for the most part. Just don't be in a hurry. take your time and enjoy the curves of these beautiful Gems.
    That sounds like a dandy Joe
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I only have 2 days to get there, and I'm not going to iron butt my first road trip. looking at google street view, the 25 looks like real pretty countryside.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We were heading back to Seattle from the owners event in Hollywood. It was the end of June. The temp was 104 and climbing at 6 pm.

Spyder Garage

25 to hollister is a nice country road but the flip side is there is nothing between 198 and holister and if you take 198 to 101 the wind between king city and salinas is brutal the wind usually picks up around 130 pm

Spyder Garage

I'd like a nice country road. Don't really have those here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    We were heading back to Seattle from the owners event in Hollywood. It was the end of June. The temp was 104 and climbing at 6 pm.
    I went to Santa Monica down 101 to pick up the beginning of Route 66. At 107 degrees or so I headed to the coast. The temp dropped 40 degrees in about 20 miles. The California coast is the only cool spot. Hwy 49 is a really nice ride but it too is wicked hot this time of year. It is only at about 3-4000 feet and that is just not enough. Face it, if you travel in the summer it is just hot.

#610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Bob, what map site are you using for your signature? I notice several states in a row that are yellow and red. Did you do this intentionally or was it random? I know you are a well travelled man on the bike.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Bob, what map site are you using for your signature? I notice several states in a row that are yellow and red. Did you do this intentionally or was it random? I know you are a well travelled man on the bike.
    http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

I believe it is this one. The colors use to represent certain trips but then they start to overlay and get all confused. Or I do. I need to update it since it is too hot to go any where. I am sitting at home closing a deal on a boat sale and am actually glad I am not out. I was heading to Canada which along with the California coast are the only cool spots I can find.

Are you going to the Redwoods? Would be good to see you. You can bunk at my house on the way up if you would like.
    Last edited by Recluze; 07-11-2012 at 09:21 PM.

#610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

I believe it is this one. The colors use to represent certain trips but then they start to overlay and get all confused. Or I do. I need to update it since it is too hot to go any where. I am sitting at home closing a deal on a boat sale and am actually glad I am not out. I was heading to Canada which along with the California coast are the only cool spots I can find.

Are you going to the Redwoods? Would be good to see you. You can bunk at my house on the way up if you would like.
    What a nice offer! Alas, I'm staying home on this one. My wife cannot get the week off. I don't like taking long trips on the bike without her.

Btw I use the same website for states visited.
    Last edited by Desert Spyder; 07-11-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Happy Spyder Owner