Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAA Anyone?

Spyder Garage

Default AAA Anyone?

I keep getting mail to entice me to join AAA. I have a 2011 suv and a 2011 Spyder RT. Do you think it's worth it to have this membership? Does AAA cover Spyder towing (just in case)? Is it better to add towing to my motorcycle policy or is AAA the better way to go considering the discounts they offer on other things? Would love to pick your brains especially those who are current AAA members.
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have it and haven't had the need to use it. So I'm kind of in the same boat as you trying to decide if it is worth it. You do know that you have to have the RV coverage to get your Spyder covered. If you have the Best Warranty you have roadside assistance - or towing. I did have one experience with this and it wasn't great. I called for a tow and they said they would send so and so out. A short time later the tow truck driver called and asked me if my Spyder had 3 wheels or 2. He said the women insisted that it only had 2 but he knew better. As it turned out he was not able to pick up a 3 wheeler so I was back to calling for another truck.

I have Progressive insurance for our motorcycles and others have said that they offer good roadside assistance and trip interruption coverage. So I'm going to check out the cost of that before I decide whether or not to renew my AAA.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have AAA for everything 2 houses, travel trailer, truck, boat, car and cargo trailer but when I went to them for my spyder they wanted $836.00 per year for it alone. So I keep everything with them BUT the spyder that I went to Alstate at $230.00 per year with towing.

Spyder Garage

Standard road service does not cover motorcycles. Yoyu need the RV coverage...at least in Michigan. Read the fine print.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Dig in and ask them a Lot of questions- In CT they no longer tow 3 wheeled motorcycles? The first representative did not know this until I DUG further and got supervisor!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default good sams club

Check out GOOD SAMS CLUB they have the best towing that you can buy!

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have been a AAA member for 25 years with no regrets. I recently got the RV/MC and never dreamed I would need it in Durango. The coverage is for 100 miles, but does not include any trailers the bike is towing. Here's a tip for anyone being towed: do not assume the flatbed truck is carrying proper tie down gear. Mine did not. You need three for the bike alone. Not sure about the trailer. If you have room carry your own.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

We wouldn't think of not having it. We have towed the Soyder twice (during the same breakdown) and my motorcycle once with no issues. AAA has been very responsive, helpful and professional each time and they had everything needed to tie down the bikes. When my bike needed to be towed, the driver had never tied down a motorcycle, so he called it in and they sent someone with more experience to help him.

If you do get it, get the plan with 100 mile towing.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

We had to call in on the Best warranty once when the coolant bottle cracked and left coolant all over the ground. The guy that was sent to tow the Spyder by the Best people did not have a trailer he could tow a Spyder with. I ended up calling AAA. They towed the Spyder free once. I had to upgrade to the Premium package on my AAA coverage to have the Spyder included in the roadside service. I think it added another 35 dollars to the yearly cost. Not a big cost for peace of mind.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Had AAA for years, need to use them twice in our time, the first time was really ugly, but I thought I would let that slide. Second time my wife was stuck the recovery driver insisted on cash and drove my wife to an ATM.

My wife said she felt threatened and like she was kidnapped, no I know it was not that bad, but that how they made her feel.

I blew my top at them over that, I would never use them again where not there for us when we needed them

I have progressive coverage now, used them once when the gas pump failed on the truck, came right away, really polite and no charge.

I know they both outsource the recovery but progressive have stricter rules and they can lose the contract easier than with AAA, so I was told.

Others experience may be totally different, I can only comment on mine and I have nothing good to say about AAA

Apologies up front to those that like them, not after a flame war, just my 2 cents which is not worth as much as it used too

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I recently purchased AAA. Did not want to be stuck on the side of the road. Now I am wondering if I spent my money in vain. Kinda scary.

Spyder Garage

Default AAA

Been a member for over 15 years and discovered in 03 you had to have AAA + to get a bike towed more than 25 miles I think it was. but the difference is less than $30 annually. I've had to use it 5 times including twice for my truck so it paid for itself. They've always been quick to call back and if there was going to be a delay I was notified. I would recommend them. I do have the priciest coverage the dealer offered on my spyder but from what I've read on SL not very impressed from the service folks have received. Wonder if I can get a refund lol...hope I don't have to use a tow but who does?
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    I have been a AAA member for 25 years with no regrets. I recently got the RV/MC and never dreamed I would need it in Durango. The coverage is for 100 miles, but does not include any trailers the bike is towing. Here's a tip for anyone being towed: do not assume the flatbed truck is carrying proper tie down gear. Mine did not. You need three for the bike alone. Not sure about the trailer. If you have room carry your own.
    Good tip! Guess I'll have to add to my collection of road gear. Don't forget some soft-ties and pads for the wheels.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiii View Post
    We had to call in on the Best warranty once when the coolant bottle cracked and left coolant all over the ground. The guy that was sent to tow the Spyder by the Best people did not have a trailer he could tow a Spyder with. I ended up calling AAA. They towed the Spyder free once. I had to upgrade to the Premium package on my AAA coverage to have the Spyder included in the roadside service. I think it added another 35 dollars to the yearly cost. Not a big cost for peace of mind.

Sounds like what happened to me. You would think the call center people would have been given a block of instruction on what a Spyder is and what is required to tow one.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default AAA

I just upgraded mine this week and as mentioned above, you have to have the RV coverage that comes with the AAA Plus membership in order to tow motorcycles. I have the BEST insurance as well, but I'm thinking flat tire, out of gas etc is what the AAA will come in handy for. The difference was about $50 per year, but (the young lady told me) the basic only covers THREE miles of towing at $0.25 per mile over that, and the Plus covers 100 miles of towing. Since I getting ready for a trip to Wyoming, I thought to myself, "Self... EVERYTHING in Wyoming is 100 miles away. Drop the nickel." Even with your basic AAA, I walked out with an armload of maps and free tour guide books. I love that place!
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

I've had AAA for more years than I care to remember and have used them enough times that it has proven to be worthwhile. Here in AZ, you don't need to buy RV coverage to get MC, they separated them a couple of years ago. It's like any kind of insurance, it buys you some piece of mind that you won't be totally stranded and at the mercy of an unscrupulous tow truck company.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
    I keep getting mail to entice me to join AAA. I have a 2011 suv and a 2011 Spyder RT. Do you think it's worth it to have this membership? Does AAA cover Spyder towing (just in case)? Is it better to add towing to my motorcycle policy or is AAA the better way to go considering the discounts they offer on other things? Would love to pick your brains especially those who are current AAA members.
    Yes I use it. After hearing of all the break downs.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I prefer "AA"; their Christmas parties are way more fun!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default AAA help

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
    I have had AAA for 35 years and added RV coverage last year for $35 per year. They will tow or hual vechile 100 miles one way 4 times a year. Last year we used our full complement of twos, no problem.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

We have AAA for the last 29 years for all vehicles and nothing but good experiences. I have yet to have the spyder towed and hope that day is far away to never... (knocking on wood) in Wa we have to carry the RV plan for the flat beded trailer.
    This is not spyder related but I seem to use my AAA more for others that are stranded at least once a year.

Patrick

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

I have had for many years and used several times.
    Once, keys locked in trunk of truck. (yes trunk of TRUCK. I have Honda Ridgeline)
    Once truck stuck in back yard of neighbor getting a load of firewood. (driver indicated they were not supposed to pull a vehicle stuck "off road" but he did it anyway at no extra charge.
    Twice for daughters car stranded.
    Every time very responsive and well worth the cost of membership.
    Not had to use yet for Spyder!!!
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your info. I decided to take them up on the latest offer of 14 months for $66.00 and spouse first year free. Added the $35.00 for motorcycle coverage too. You guys rock as usual.
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default AMA

Another option to get roadside service for those that ride 2 and 3 wheels is the AMA, American Motorcyclist Association. Decent benies for the price:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...ship/benefits/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Standard road service does not cover motorcycles. Yoyu need the RV coverage...at least in Michigan. Read the fine print.
    So true. John blew his clutch in Silverton and tow bill to Durango was $220. Neither AAA nor State Farm would cover. If he had had BEST the towing would be covered. Guess what he bought when we got back from Durango

SpyderLady

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've had good results on several occasions in California, but what some of these folks are reporting from other states got my attention.