Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Angry Here we go.....AGAIN

Yep, another dead battery. I hate to say it, but this crap is getting old. Battery tender on the whole time I was gone this trip and came home to a dead Spyder. Oh well, you would think I am used to it by now.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You should've let me ryde your RT all this time; by know it was due an engine replaced...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    You should've let me ryde your RT all this time; by know it was due an engine replaced...
    I think letting you ryde mine voids my warranty.
    I have a real battery charger on it now. It will either charge or go up in smoke. Either way, I really dont care anymore.
    Instead of BRP coming out with any more models, maybe thy should fix the issues on the ones that we have already bought.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Yes there are issues there.
    I think the radio is the culprit.
    Wasn't there a bulletin on the radio module drawing down the battery.??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=boborgera;479746]Wasn't there a bulletin on the radio module drawing down the battery.??[/QUOTE

Radio module was replaced about 3 months ago, so that apparently didnt fix the issues.

Off to the dealer she went. Very glad I have a good dealer and service department so close.
    I need a decal that reads " If you see this Spyder on a trailer, call BRP. Its another dead battery issue"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well something sure ain't up to snuff... Can your dealer trace the drain in the system? Have they already tried??
    Good Luck, and please let us know what is found!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Just a thought if you pull the ground wire off battery and hook a 12volt bulb(1156 taillite) between the ground on battery one side of bulb and the other side of bulb to frame. if bulb burns even if a little you have a draw. you can then pull fueses out one at a time and when you pull one that stops the lite from burning you will know what circute is the problem i.e radio,lights,ectect..... you will need a 1156 tail light bub and a scoket with wires to put in line with battery. I know how y'all feel about having troubles with spydres(BOY DO I). I worked in electronics for several years and this was how we could work on equiptment with burning something up Pete
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pellcitypete View Post
    Just a thought if you pull the ground wire off battery and hook a 12volt bulb(1156 taillite) between the ground on battery one side of bulb and the other side of bulb to frame. if bulb burns even if a little you have a draw. you can then pull fueses out one at a time and when you pull one that stops the lite from burning you will know what circute is the problem i.e radio,lights,ectect..... you will need a 1156 tail light bub and a scoket with wires to put in line with battery. I know how y'all feel about having troubles with spydres(BOY DO I). I worked in electronics for several years and this was how we could work on equiptment with burning something up Pete
    I soldered two wires on a 1157 with alligator clips on the other ends, Used that as a timing light for my air cooled Beetles, [70's] Now i just use it as a test light.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I Feel Your Pain

As of Wednesday it will be 3 weeks that Cowtown has had my Spyder and that is exactly how it all started.
    You might try pulling the fuse for the radio and assc. I started throwing 1614s after a couple dead batteries, but everyone thinks I'm just gitting all of the crap at once and that nothing is related. I hope they are right, If you start getting codes please holler!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Battery tender on the whole time I was gone this trip and came home to a dead Spyder.
    Most battery tenders I'm familiar with for motorcycles put out either 0.9 amps or 1.1 amps. If that couldn't keep up with your drain, that's one significant drain. Doesn't sound like the small current drain reported with the radios.

I had the radio replaced today. The water intrusion comes in thru the antenna lead. My antenna junction was totally corroded inside and actually broke off when they pulled it apart. I asked what they do to prevent that happening again and they said they're supposed to shrink wrap the antenna connection. So if your dealer replaced the radio thinking that was the cause and didn't do the shrink wrap, it could be acting up again. But as I said, a one-amp drain is much more than reported for the radios. Keep us posted.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder is ready for pick-up. The cause of the battery drain.......UNKNOWN.
    The shop CAN-NOT figure out what the issue is.
    Looks like I might go on the monthly BRP. aka battery replacement plan
    Can anybody say WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by dave01; 07-15-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Spyder is ready for pick-up. The cause of the battery drain.......UNKNOWN.
    The shop CAN-NOT figure out what the issue is.
    Looks like I might go on the monthly battery replacement plan.
    Can anybody say WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check it yourself. It may be sporadic.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was out on a ride and stopped for awhile. Went to get bake on the rode and nothing. No juice for anything. Thought it was the battery and found someone with a charger. Had it on for an hour and still nothing. So everyone thought the battery was dead. Went and spent $139.00 for a new battery. Put it in and still nothing. A Harley guy was looking it over and spotted a tiny burn mark on the ground connection on the right side. Tapped the connection and was very loose. Tightened it up and the Spyder fired right up. Now I have an extra battery as it couldn't be returned as it was electrical. Check the ground under the seat on the right to see if it's loose. Good luck.
    Life should NOT be journey to grave with intention of arriving safely in attractive and well-preserved body, but rather you skid in sideways on 1 leg with body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLuv View Post
    I was out on a ride and stopped for awhile. Went to get bake on the rode and nothing. No juice for anything. Thought it was the battery and found someone with a charger. Had it on for an hour and still nothing. So everyone thought the battery was dead. Went and spent $139.00 for a new battery. Put it in and still nothing. A Harley guy was looking it over and spotted a tiny burn mark on the ground connection on the right side. Tapped the connection and was very loose. Tightened it up and the Spyder fired right up. Now I have an extra battery as it couldn't be returned as it was electrical. Check the ground under the seat on the right to see if it's loose. Good luck.
    Thanks for the idea. All have been checked, tightened, tested over and over again. Its a mystery for which there is no answer.......

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the idea. All have been checked, tightened, tested over and over again. Its a mystery for which there is no answer.......
    Dave I have the same mystery going on here. In 14 months of owner ship I have went through 3 batteries. I live in Canada so actual riding time is only about 6 months got the bike last May(2011) end of the month. 25000km on the bike and it is always on a battery tender. They(the dealer) cant figure it out either
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrock View Post
    Dave I have the same mystery going on here. In 14 months of owner ship I have went through 3 batteries. I live in Canada so actual riding time is only about 6 months got the bike last May(2011) end of the month. 25000km on the bike and it is always on a battery tender. They(the dealer) cant figure it out either
    Yeah, it sux not being able to go out and fire it up and ride. Thankful the Hayabusa doesnt have issues like my Spyder does.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2