Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question 3 wheel only license in Alberta

My wife recently took and passed her motorcycle license in Alberta. While finishing the test with the examiner he told her that because she did the road test on a Spyder she is restricted to 3 wheeled vehicles only. She has contacted the Alberta government to verify this restriction but has not heard back. Has anyone else had this restriction imposed on their license? Does this mean those of us with existing motorcycle licenses are not allowed to drive a 3 wheeled vehicle?

2012 RT Limited (White)
    Tricled fenderz, 3rd and 4th brake lights, mirror mounted rear signals and tip lights. HID head and fog lights. Smooth Spyder. Bajaron Swaybar

Spyder Garage

Not sure about Alberta but here is how it works in Ontario (simplified version).

If you currently hold a motorcycle licence (M2 or M) you can ride a 3 wheel motorcycle with no other testing required. If you are going for your motorcycle licence for the first time and you take your driving test on a 3 wheel motorcycle then you are issued a restricted licence (ML, I think) and can only ride a 3 wheel motorcycle. If you want to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle you must take your driving test on a 2 wheel motorcycle in which case you will be issued an M2 licence, upgradeable to an M after a period of time.
    Cape Spear, NF. Most
    easterly point in North
    America
    Provinces & States visited on
    Motorcycle
    2 and/or 3 wheel

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderific View Post
    My wife recently took and passed her motorcycle license in Alberta. While finishing the test with the examiner he told her that because she did the road test on a Spyder she is restricted to 3 wheeled vehicles only. She has contacted the Alberta government to verify this restriction but has not heard back. Has anyone else had this restriction imposed on their license? Does this mean those of us with existing motorcycle licenses are not allowed to drive a 3 wheeled vehicle?
    Works the same way here in Illinois. 3-wheelers can take the test, even show a RS in our DMV manuals, but can then only ride with 3 wheels. I took the MSF class on a 250cc two wheeler but can ride both 2 and 3 wheelers. Well at least I'm qualified to ride a 2 wheeler in a parking lot.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Washington State has separate license for 2 wheels and 3 wheels. You have to have one of each in order to ride both.
    Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation

Spyder Garage

Default BC Similar to Alberta

Hi,

I just finished the process here on a Spyder. You can do all the testing on the Spyder (motorcycle skills test, then road test), and they told me it would be a class 6R - motorcycle license restricted to 3 wheels.

But in fact when I got the actual license in the mail, it says class 6(also class 5, which is regular vehicles) , and has a line that says "Endorsements/Restrictions:", but there is nothing listed there. So, I'm not sure they have an actual category for the three-wheeled vehicles.

Interesting to see what the rules are in different places.

Liz

Spyder Garage

In New York, if you take the road test on a two wheeler your good for any type of motorcycle, but if you take the road test on a three wheeler you are only licensed to ride a three wheeler.

Spyder Garage

Same situation in Alaska. If you take your drivers test on 3 wheels you will be limited to 3 wheel operation only. If you take the drivers test on two wheels you can drive either type of motorcycle.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Same situation in Alaska. If you take your drivers test on 3 wheels you will be limited to 3 wheel operation only. If you take the drivers test on two wheels you can drive either type of motorcycle.
    Ohio, same deal
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Outporter View Post
    In Ontario...you take your driving test on a 3 wheel motorcycle then you are issued a restricted licence (ML, I think) and can only ride a 3 wheel motorcycle. .
    Its a Class MM licence for 3 wheeled vehicles.

ML is "Limited Speed" for two-wheeled vehicles that cannot maintain a speed gretaer than 80 Kmh. Like smaller scooters. They are restricted from travelling roads with posted speeds greater than 80 Kph.

Spyder Garage

Missouri is the same. Good recomendation is to take the MSF course so you understand how a bike works and then you can ride 2 or 3 wheel.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Spyder Garage

Default Wisconsin

Took my test on the spyder and I am restricted to 3 wheeled cycles. Darn

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Spyder Garage

Default SOCAR LICENSE

here in South Carolina, all you need to operate a SPYD3R or any other 3 wheeled vehicle, is a regular drivers license... this includes 2 wheelers with a side car.... if you're riding on just 2 wheels, you need to take the motorcycles driving test... both written and road test...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Did you hear back from the Alberta Gov. on this?

Spyder Garage

Took mine in Calgary and mine reads class 5/6 three wheel motorcycles only.

Spyder Garage

Hey Spyderific in Alberta if you take your test on a Spyder or other trike you are limited to only driving a trike, the license should have a letter "B" beside it. If you take your test on two wheels you can drive any motorcycle. Where are you guys I live in Sherwood Park.
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Spyder Garage

Also in BC if you take your road test on Can Am Spyder you are restricted to that if you take it on two wheels you can ride anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Florida

A three wheel and regular. Regular can ride either, three wheel can only ride 3 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default The only exception

Quote Originally Posted by Heliplt View Post
    Washington State has separate license for 2 wheels and 3 wheels. You have to have one of each in order to ride both.
    There is one exception. If you are operating a 3 wheeled vehicle, controlled by a steering wheel (think Slingshot) you don't need an endorsement.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

In Alberta it works the same as above.

3 wheeled can only drive 3 wheeled.

2 wheeled can drive 3 or 2 wheeled.

What you do the test on is what your restricted to.

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default Alberta licensing

took my road test 7/29 and passed; the registry office had never heard of a restriction on the type of Class 6 license ...

Liz / Calgary
    2016 F3-T, shorty mods only
    2016 F3-T , black

Spyder Garage

No not true if you take road test on Spyder yes you are restricted to s three wheel if already have a motorcycle lic you can ride three wheeler bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKnight View Post
    In New York, if you take the road test on a two wheeler your good for any type of motorcycle, but if you take the road test on a three wheeler you are only licensed to ride a three wheeler.
    Ditto in Ohio.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default How did you manage that?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrock View Post
    Hey Spyderific in Alberta if you take your test on a Spyder or other trike you are limited to only driving a trike, the license should have a letter "B" beside it. If you take your test on two wheels you can drive any motorcycle. Where are you guys I live in Sherwood Park.
    Looking at your travel map, how did you manage to miss Nevada? You hit every state, north, south, east and west of it.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Looking at your travel map, how did you manage to miss Nevada? You hit every state, north, south, east and west of it.

Hey guys an update, here in Calgary/Alberta other day did my beginner bike test and lady said at course if you do course and Rd test on spyder it will be a 6 b as other member stated and can only ride 3 wheel bikes period, class 6 is good for both, that was on May 21st 2018, thx

Spyder Garage

Default Qualifying Driver's Licenses

Quote Originally Posted by Heliplt View Post

Idaho stipulates that those that have a license for conventional motorcycles, can ride both those and three wheelers. However, those having taken the MSF course on a three wheeler, can only only ride a three wheeler.