Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default She is really hot but I went limp..

home mode and I am not sure why....

ok ok sorry for the (not so clever thread title) to get your attention.

Great riding this weekend and no problems except for on section on a straight and the engine light flashed and got the limp home mode. I quickly pulled over turned it off took out the key turned it right back on and everything was normal. Rode 3 hours more and never saw it again.

Is that pretty normal? should I take it to the dealer right away?
    I know there has been a lot on limp home mode on these forums but the stories spread from mild to wild.... bike is running fantastic and there have been no changes since I bought it.

Thank you in advance

Spyder Garage

if your foot got too close to the brake it will do that every time,i mean just slight psi on the brake and here comes limp mode.

Spyder Garage

Default Per Spyder tech Shawn Smoak

If feathering or Riding the Brake is
    Causing VSS Fault and/or Limp Home Mode

(P0504 & C0040 Fault Codes)

Possible causes are:
    Vehicle speed higher than 7.8 mph and the brake light switch is activated 10 times for 2.55 seconds each time and the hydraulic brake pressure less than 10 psi in one driving cycle.
    (Known as feathering the brake pedal)
    - or -
    Brake light switch -vs- hydraulic brake pressure not matching 10 times in a driving cycle and the brake light switch is active with 10 recognized brake pressures of less than 10 psi.
    (Known as driving with foot on the brake)

- To get out of Limp Home Mode (If caused by above):
    - Remove Key for 20 seconds (till dash is off)

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I actually liked your title and was relieved that it wasn't as bad as it could have been...
    I also think that the right foot getting too comfy with the pedal is the most likely culprit Hang in there; be aware of it and see if it happens again!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the same year and color as yours. Limp home mode comes on 5 times or more a day for me. Dealer said i drive it too hard? Makes no sense, isn't the extra " S " for sport. I guess in Canada it means slow. Everytime i go into a corner too hard it triggers Limp Home Mode. Also everytime i smoke the tire leaving from a dead stop too hard. These bikes are pansies and are too temper mental. They are made for people who drive slow and that's not me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neutron12 View Post
    I have the same year and color as yours. Limp home mode comes on 5 times or more a day for me. Dealer said i drive it too hard? Makes no sense, isn't the extra " S " for sport. I guess in Canada it means slow. Everytime i go into a corner too hard it triggers Limp Home Mode. Also everytime i smoke the tire leaving from a dead stop too hard. These bikes are pansies and are too temper mental. They are made for people who drive slow and that's not me.
    Get yourself another dealer. But, some of the things you mention can initiate limp mode.

Oh, one more thing: if you really think the spyder is made for people who drive slow, I'll try to get in touch with arntufun (Randy). Then, you and Randy can go head to head on a twisty course that you both agree on; and, we'll both put up a small sum of $100. Out of my winnings, I'll give Randy $50.
    Last edited by wyliec; 07-02-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Get yourself another dealer. But, some of the things you mention can initiate limp mode.
    No get a diff bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

Oh, one more thing: if you really think the spyder is made for people who drive slow, I'll try to get in touch with arntufun (Randy). Then, you and Randy can go head to head on a twisty course that you both agree on; and, we'll both put up a small sum of $100. Out of my winnings, I'll give Randy $50.

I wish another dealer was closer. The one i go to is 15 minutes away. The other one is over an hour. I don't like these idiots working on any of my bikes. That's not fair, Randy will win because my bike will be in limp mode. Can i use my 2009 Ducati 1198?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by texasride View Post
    No get a diff bike.
    I have multiple bikes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can i use my 2009 Ducati 1198?
    No; but please bring it along as eye candy...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wish another dealer was closer. The one i go to is 15 minutes away. The other one is over an hour. I don't like these idiots working on any of my bikes. That's not fair, Randy will win because my bike will be in limp mode. Can i use my 2009 Ducati 1198?

Wait till i disengage the traction control. I will bet you $1,000 to your $100 that Randy can't drift / powerslide into corners like i will be able too. I ride my bikes like i stole them. So if i wreck them i don't care.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    No; but please bring it along as eye candy...

Here you go!

Spyder Garage

Hey thank you for the replies...

I know it was not me touching or hovering over the brake... I ride it like I used to ride my sports bikes meaning the ball of my foot and my toes are on the peg while the rest of my foot is behind the peg in the air.

It is no big deal i cut it off then back on and she ran great the rest of the day just want to get the nagging out of my head that something else may be wrong but I figure it would have come back up again.

Spyder Garage

5 times a day is crazy.... I have wondered about bumps in the road and such that might cause limp home mode. If your hard in a corner or hard on the throttle and any of the wheels leave pavement for a second I imagine the mode would come on....

arntufun

I think you are talking about the Nanny !!!!!!!
    Limp mode is not the same as the Nanny talking. It will say "Limp Mode" across the screen cut power and will not reset until you shut the Spyder off and take the key out. Like you I drive mine hard and also like you the Nanny talks to me constantly.

If yours is actually going into Limp mode, there is something wrong and your dealer needs to quit making excuses that you drive it to hard and find the problem.

As far as your ducati, I will blow that thing away in the winter, or roads filled with gravel or wet leaves.
    Last edited by arntufun; 07-02-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post

I think you are talking about the Nanny !!!!!!!
    Limp mode is not the same as the Nanny talking. It will say "Limp Mode" across the screen cut power and will not reset until you shut the Spyder off and take the key out. Like you I drive mine hard and also like you the Nanny talks to me constantly.

If yours is actually going into Limp mode, there is something wrong and your dealer needs to quit making excuses that you drive it to hard and find the problem.

As far as your ducati, I will blow that thing away in the winter, or roads filled with gravel or wet leaves.
    Winter, gravel, and wet leaves. That's 3 things Ducati's don't capisce

Spyder Garage

Only if you bring one for Randy !!
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Back to the RSS...)
    Maybe you've got a steering angle sensor that's not on good speaking terms with all of the other sensors up front...
    Ask Scotty; he can tell you what's up there measuring things all of the time.
    Now back to the trash talk!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I can't possibly imagine what you are doing to that spyder. I beat the livin' pi## out of mine and I've never gotten a limp mode. Including racing bikes up over 110 mph and everytime I run the brook road the nanny comes alive as if I don't break the rear tire loose I'm not riding. I've even had it airborne off a bridge at 60+ and yes, Spyder's fly flat. She gave a little "wag" when she touched down and away I went thru the s curves. I would say there's something wrong with your spyder..... or the rider....

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry not brakes

Quote Originally Posted by spyderraven View Post
    home mode and I am not sure why....

ok ok sorry for the (not so clever thread title) to get your attention.

Great riding this weekend and no problems except for on section on a straight and the engine light flashed and got the limp home mode. I quickly pulled over turned it off took out the key turned it right back on and everything was normal. Rode 3 hours more and never saw it again.

Is that pretty normal? should I take it to the dealer right away?
    I know there has been a lot on limp home mode on these forums but the stories spread from mild to wild.... bike is running fantastic and there have been no changes since I bought it.

Thank you in advance

If your description is correct (flashing engine light) this means a sensor detected a internal engine problem. Since turning the engine off and restarting cleared the fault, I would not really worry about it but tell your dealer at the next service.
    Since the brake light was not flashing it was not the brakes causing your problem.
    Different lights have different meanings, for example, a solid on engine light could mean a engine control problem, Dynamic Power Steering problem or a transmission problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I actually liked your title and was relieved that it wasn't as bad as it could have been...

Bob, we know you better than that!!

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by spyderraven View Post
    Hey thank you for the replies...

I know it was not me touching or hovering over the brake... I ride it like I used to ride my sports bikes meaning the ball of my foot and my toes are on the peg while the rest of my foot is behind the peg in the air.

It is no big deal i cut it off then back on and she ran great the rest of the day just want to get the nagging out of my head that something else may be wrong but I figure it would have come back up again.
    I remember reading a while back about a person with an RT that was having the cruise control shut off when they hit a bump.
    Seems like someone mentioned adjusting the break petal. They said if it was set to 'light' then a bump could activate the break thus turning off the cruise control.

So if you can get 'limp' mode from riding the break, could you get it from the break bouncing?

Just thought I would mention it.

Romney & Boyd

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtspyder View Post
    I can't possibly imagine what you are doing to that spyder. I beat the livin' pi## out ph.of mine and I've never gotten a limp mode. Including racing bikes up over 110 mph and everytime I run the brook road the nanny comes alive as if I don't break the rear tire loose I'm not riding. I've even had it airborne off a bridge at 60+ and yes, Spyder's fly flat. She gave a little "wag" when she touched down and away I went thru the s curves. I would say there's something wrong with your spyder..... or the rider....
    I ride & drive everything i own like its stolen. I usually cruise at 110mph. On my race bikes i have reached speeds of almost 200mph.

There is definitely something wrong with the Spyder. It was made in Canada that is the first major problem. I think its me cause i have only been riding for only 30 years.

Second problem was buying the machine from the rednecks at Dutchess Wrecks.
    Last edited by Neutron12; 07-03-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redroC View Post
    I remember reading a while back about a person with an RT that was having the cruise control shut off when they hit a bump.
    Seems like someone mentioned adjusting the break petal. They said if it was set to 'light' then a bump could activate the break thus turning off the cruise control.

So if you can get 'limp' mode from riding the break, could you get it from the break bouncing?

Just thought I would mention it.
    no wonder it broke, have the dealer replace it with the stronger metal one, your taking flower power way to far

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Wait till i disengage the traction control. I will bet you $1,000 to your $100 that Randy can't drift / powerslide into corners like i will be able too. I ride my bikes like i stole them. So if i wreck them i don't care.
    Couldn't find a green one but here's what you have to look forward to.