Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 1450 miles in 27 hours, personal best!

Had a blast at the Owners Event in Durango but instead of going home to East TN we decided to head for San Diego to see friends and family. Ran into quite a few SpyderLovers on the way down, hope they all made it home safe.

Met this couple at Four Corners

Had to show the tourist the cool way to be in all four states, they were doing the twister thing...not cool!

We stopped for the night just north of Phoenix and rode the rest of the way in the next day. You would think I would have stopped in at my mom's and got some rest but instead I took a ride to Palomar Mountain and then to Julian. I just couldn't pass up a chance to ride some of my old favorite roads.

On the way up to Palomar I ran into a bunch of locus. This sucker was stuck in my helmet.

I didn't stay long in San Diego as both Ron and I had to get back to TN but we both made the most of our time. Got to eat at some of my favorite places and I picked up another Best in show at the El Cajon car show.

Best fast food Burgers in the country

We decided to head back to TN at 4am from San Diego. We really didn't get on the road till 5am but that's another story (BajaRon), just saying.

It was warm but not too bad. The Spyders were running great and they didn't want to stop but about 700 miles into the trip I got a email about some work I had to get done asap so that shut us down right at 800 miles. We wound up staying in the same Ramada in Albuquerque as we had stayed the week before. We ate at the Owl again and while we were there we ran into Dave who was there waiting on his Spyder to be repaired. They were able to hook him up with a loaner that Faran had so that worked out pretty good.

From the hotel to my house mapped out at 1460 miles. For whatever reason I had it in my head I was going to ride all the way in. I told Ron he didn't have to do that if he didn't want to but he said he was game. Now this is on a GS/RS with a stock seat and no backrest. I have no idea how he did it with that setup as it was hard enough on the RT.

When we left Albuquerque it was just under 100 degrees and that felt cool compared to what we had been riding in. Suffice to say this was the hottest trip I can ever remember taking. The wind felt like a blast furnace and my temps were reading 104-106 most of the time and I did see 116 at one point. I can't tell you what state that was in because it was all pretty much a blur by then. I was doing pretty good till we got to about 850 miles or so and then I started having my doubts about making it. From there I went to the one fuel stop at a time state of mind. I knew if I could just make it to the next fuel stop I could decide if I wanted to try and push it all the way or not.

It was a battle of the mind and the body but the Spyder had no problem with the miles or the heat. I must say if there was any hiccup at all I would have used it for an excuse to quit but the Spyder didn't cut me any slack in that regard. I'm not saying I wanted to have a problem but I didn't want to stop just because I personally wimped out.

I did learn a hard lesson on this trip. After about 300 miles I decided to drink one of those 5 hour energy drinks and I timed it when the 5 hours was up before drinking another one. I had not eaten anything and was drinking plenty of water. I'll bet I drank 50 bucks worth of water on this run. The first 5 hour I drank didn't do much for me but the second one made me want to crawl out of my skin. It was not a good feeling at all and I couldn't wait for it to wear off. I was not only feeling freaky but I was having the dry heaves too while going down the road. That went on for about 400 miles. I will never take back to back 5 hour energy drinks again. Bad idea!

I did find a new trick that worked great, when we would get fuel I would go to where they had water for your radiator and I would soak myself before leaving. It would last about 50 miles and that was better than nothing. It really helped cool me down.

As the sun set it did get a little cooler but not much, it was still too darn hot. By time we got into west TN I was feeling pretty stupid and it was all I could do to stay on the road. At one point I fell asleep but in my dream I was driving on the roads in Durango. When I woke up I had no idea where I was and I was doing 50 mph. I had been doing 70+ so I have no idea how long I was out or if I was just sleep driving with my eyes open. It was the strangest thing but I knew it was going to get me killed if I let it happen again. Turns out there was a rest stop about two miles from where I woke up so I pulled in there and told Ron I had to stop or I was going to die. He was a sport and was fine with whatever I wanted to do.

Understand that this place was not setup for taking a nap on the ground. The whole place was dirt with very little grass and the one tree I found to lay next to was full of ants so that woke me up right away. The next place I laid my head was a picnic table and apparently they were have some sort of spider rally of their own there as I was covered with spiders in my ears, mouth and crawling down my neck. I went in the bathroom and it was mostly daddy long legs but it still wasn't cool. That pretty much woke me up to the point where I was ready to roll again. It's funny because Ron never got off of his Spyder, I'm not sure if he couldn't or just didn't want to but I'm sure he got some better rest than I did.

BajaRon ready to roll at 3:52am

This last stop was near Jackson TN and we blasted the rest of the way home from there without issue. As it stands we did 1460 miles +or- in 27 hours. The most I had done before on my RS was 1150 in 19 hours so this was a record for me. This is not one I would recommend trying as it could have got us killed. I think if it wasn't so darn hot it would have been better but that's still a long run in the saddle in good conditions. I will say I wouldn't wanted to do it on any other machine.

Still haven't cleaned it up yet.

Spyder Garage

Now THAT'S a hardcore trip.

I'm jealous... In-N-Out burger... I lived in L.A. for a year & a half, I ate waaaay too many of those, dang do I miss them
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, the 1460 miles in 27 hours by itself is really impressive but add the 800 miles the day before is just crazy.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Cool. I know that the riding while asleep, or at least not cognizant thing was pretty scary. Thanks for sharing.
    Rather carve than cruise.

Spyder Garage

That is some scary stuff, glad you guys made it home to write about it....and about those spiders
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Glad you're home safe & we're not reading about you in the papers!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

to both of ya!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing the ride pictures and experiences. Glad you made it back safely.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wow Lamont, what a trip

I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. Thanks for the great pictures and the story that goes with it.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad Ron and you are home safe...the heat is a killer...pump that iron and run that mill....see y'all down the road....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lamonster and Ron, you're the best
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

You guys are crazy!!! Quite an accomplishment. But, taking a lot of risk too. Glad you both are home safely.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

I did that fall-asleep-while-riding thing coming home from Spyderfest. Scares the bejeebers out of you to wake up at 65 mph with a semi in front of you that you haven't seen until just then. Time for a rest stop and a nap. Glad I had a dry, critter-free bench, from what you experienced. Glad you're home safe, glad to achieved your goal...now don't do it again!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Glad you made the decision to pull off and try and get some rest.... gotta be smart about this kind of thing as it can indeed kill you.

I dealt with the 'dozing off' thing while riding too.. and for me it's like a 'jolt' that 'wakes me back up' as my head starts to drop. Not safe at all. I had to do various tricks to keep myself awake and found standing up on the pegs and leaning forward towards the front of the bike worked quite well. When standing up I think the body is not apt to doze off. I'd stand up for a few minutes at a time.. sure I looked strange... but it kept me awake.

Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Lamont glad you made it back safe, and All is well!! Sometimes it's nice to be back with family I'm sure they missed you. Thanks for the video on the trip.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad you two made it back ok. Sorry we couldn't meet up while you were in Julian. I certainly understand you wanting to beat the heat and leave early like you did. I've never tried the 5 hour energy drink and after your experience don't plan to ever!

Spyder Garage

i had furnace air like that too in WY on the way back, had to put my lid back on or I was going to get a bloody nose. It is amazing the challenge I talk to people about when it comes to just riding motorcycle or spyder and when I was on my death run to durango I had to laugh at myself about how much I have changed since I started riding in 04, when i foolishly thought 200 miles in a day was a hard day of riding on my 95 Suzuki RF900.

Glad you made it back.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    i had furnace air like that too in WY on the way back, had to put my lid back on or I was going to get a bloody nose. It is amazing the challenge I talk to people about when it comes to just riding motorcycle or spyder and when I was on my death run to durango I had to laugh at myself about how much I have changed since I started riding in 04, when i foolishly thought 200 miles in a day was a hard day of riding on my 95 Suzuki RF900.

Glad you made it back.
    You Doc and Forest are true hardcore riders, I'm just a want-to-b compared to you guys. I most likely will never do this again but I wanted to see if I could. I already had some guy on Facebook tell me it was no big deal on a Spyder and he does it all the time on a bike.

Ok ,,,,, a day is 24HRS last time I checked and people do 1500 mi in 24 hrs on motorcycles all the time myself included MANY MANY TIMES/ Which btw is ALOT more difficult / SERIOUSLY ryding a Spyder is like riding in car w all the windows down,,,, fatiguing somewhat but NOWHERE NEAR the degree of difficulty of a bike! NOT EVEN CLOSE!
    Anyway I too am glad you guys aren't reading about me in the papers and like I said I would not recommend doing this, especially in that heat, that's what really took it out of me.

As far as having more respect for BajaRon, I agree, the guy has 10 years on me and for sure his ride wasn't as comfortable as mine and yet I don't think he complained one time about being hot or wore out. I guess those CDF fire fighters are a tough bunch!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You Doc and Forest are true hardcore riders, I'm just a want-to-b compared to you guys. I most likely will never do this again but I wanted to see if I could. I already had some guy on Facebook tell me it was no big deal on a Spyder and he does it all the time on a bike.
    Invite that guy from FB to the Second Edition Spyder Triangle so he can put the miles where the keyboard is.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Bro
    Glad y'all made it home, and the subject line was NOT......
    "1450 miles in 27 hours, personal WORST" LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Invite that guy from FB to the Second Edition Spyder Triangle so he can put the miles where the keyboard is.
    I wasn't competing with anyone but myself, the guy missed that point. I'm not a hardcore rider when compared to some but I have been coast to coast on just about every bike I've owned and I'll take the Spyder over all of them. If I had something to prove I would have done it on a skateboard.

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Amazing, but I think I would have had to go in for some shock therapy after waking up covered in spiders. Yikes!!

Spyder Garage

too much is just too much,i like to ride but not like that,i go out at 6 am till 10 am in this heat then put it up,you guys are crazy glad you made it alive.

Registered Users Peoriafirefighter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Had a blast at the Owners Event in Durango but instead of going home to East TN we decided to head for San Diego to see friends and family. Ran into quite a few SpyderLovers on the way down, hope they all made it home safe.

Met this couple at Four Corners

Had to show the tourist the cool way to be in all four states, they were doing the twister thing...not cool!

We stopped for the night just north of Phoenix and rode the rest of the way in the next day. You would think I would have stopped in at my mom's and got some rest but instead I took a ride to Palomar Mountain and then to Julian. I just couldn't pass up a chance to ride some of my old favorite roads.

On the way up to Palomar I ran into a bunch of locus. This sucker was stuck in my helmet.

I didn't stay long in San Diego as both Ron and I had to get back to TN but we both made the most of our time. Got to eat at some of my favorite places and I picked up another Best in show at the El Cajon car show.

Best fast food Burgers in the country

We decided to head back to TN at 4am from San Diego. We really didn't get on the road till 5am but that's another story (BajaRon), just saying.

It was warm but not too bad. The Spyders were running great and they didn't want to stop but about 700 miles into the trip I got a email about some work I had to get done asap so that shut us down right at 800 miles. We wound up staying in the same Ramada in Albuquerque as we had stayed the week before. We ate at the Owl again and while we were there we ran into Dave who was there waiting on his Spyder to be repaired. They were able to hook him up with a loaner that Faran had so that worked out pretty good.

From the hotel to my house mapped out at 1460 miles. For whatever reason I had it in my head I was going to ride all the way in. I told Ron he didn't have to do that if he didn't want to but he said he was game. Now this is on a GS/RS with a stock seat and no backrest. I have no idea how he did it with that setup as it was hard enough on the RT.

When we left Albuquerque it was just under 100 degrees and that felt cool compared to what we had been riding in. Suffice to say this was the hottest trip I can ever remember taking. The wind felt like a blast furnace and my temps were reading 104-106 most of the time and I did see 116 at one point. I can't tell you what state that was in because it was all pretty much a blur by then. I was doing pretty good till we got to about 850 miles or so and then I started having my doubts about making it. From there I went to the one fuel stop at a time state of mind. I knew if I could just make it to the next fuel stop I could decide if I wanted to try and push it all the way or not.

It was a battle of the mind and the body but the Spyder had no problem with the miles or the heat. I must say if there was any hiccup at all I would have used it for an excuse to quit but the Spyder didn't cut me any slack in that regard. I'm not saying I wanted to have a problem but I didn't want to stop just because I personally wimped out.

I did learn a hard lesson on this trip. After about 300 miles I decided to drink one of those 5 hour energy drinks and I timed it when the 5 hours was up before drinking another one. I had not eaten anything and was drinking plenty of water. I'll bet I drank 50 bucks worth of water on this run. The first 5 hour I drank didn't do much for me but the second one made me want to crawl out of my skin. It was not a good feeling at all and I couldn't wait for it to wear off. I was not only feeling freaky but I was having the dry heaves too while going down the road. That went on for about 400 miles. I will never take back to back 5 hour energy drinks again. Bad idea!

I did find a new trick that worked great, when we would get fuel I would go to where they had water for your radiator and I would soak myself before leaving. It would last about 50 miles and that was better than nothing. It really helped cool me down.

As the sun set it did get a little cooler but not much, it was still too darn hot. By time we got into west TN I was feeling pretty stupid and it was all I could do to stay on the road. At one point I fell asleep but in my dream I was driving on the roads in Durango. When I woke up I had no idea where I was and I was doing 50 mph. I had been doing 70+ so I have no idea how long I was out or if I was just sleep driving with my eyes open. It was the strangest thing but I knew it was going to get me killed if I let it happen again. Turns out there was a rest stop about two miles from where I woke up so I pulled in there and told Ron I had to stop or I was going to die. He was a sport and was fine with whatever I wanted to do.

Understand that this place was not setup for taking a nap on the ground. The whole place was dirt with very little grass and the one tree I found to lay next to was full of ants so that woke me up right away. The next place I laid my head was a picnic table and apparently they were have some sort of spider rally of their own there as I was covered with spiders in my ears, mouth and crawling down my neck. I went in the bathroom and it was mostly daddy long legs but it still wasn't cool. That pretty much woke me up to the point where I was ready to roll again. It's funny because Ron never got off of his Spyder, I'm not sure if he couldn't or just didn't want to but I'm sure he got some better rest than I did.

BajaRon ready to roll at 3:52am

This last stop was near Jackson TN and we blasted the rest of the way home from there without issue. As it stands we did 1460 miles +or- in 27 hours. The most I had done before on my RS was 1150 in 19 hours so this was a record for me. This is not one I would recommend trying as it could have got us killed. I think if it wasn't so darn hot it would have been better but that's still a long run in the saddle in good conditions. I will say I wouldn't wanted to do it on any other machine.

Still haven't cleaned it up yet.

I'm glad I got to see you and Ron again in Albuquerque, but I hope the next time it's under better circumstance. BRP was GREAT to me. I had my personal best of 1315 miles straight thru to Illinois in 21 hours also on my GS with no back support. I can say that will stay my personal best as I'm so sore I can hardly walk. Take Care Bro. and could you PM me Ron's address so I can return his belt tension gauge. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peoriafirefighter View Post
    I'm glad I got to see you and Ron again in Albuquerque, but I hope the next time it's under better circumstance. BRP was GREAT to me. I had my personal best of 1315 miles straight thru to Illinois in 21 hours also on my GS with no back support. I can say that will stay my personal best as I'm so sore I can hardly walk. Take Care Bro. and could you PM me Ron's address so I can return his belt tension gauge. Thanks!
    Just read your last post Bro. Glad you made it home. You fire fighters are a tough bunch.