Threaded View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    I started shifting at a higher RPM and found it shifted much smoother. I guess for me somewhere around 3500-4000 works well. I used to try to keep the RPMS as low as I could to "help my gas mileage," but discovered I seem to do better at higher RPMs.

It is difficult to get used to the engine revving as high as it does at highway speeds, but as you and many others have said, the engine does seem to like it there.

I know 9000 is the red line, but realistically how high should the engine go for maximum efficiency in each gear? Should I back off of the throttle at all when I shift , or always keep it steady?

Riding the brake was an issue for me, and now my wife initially, but I installed a set of Seal floorboards and it makes it much easier to stay off of the brake.

I had an RT a bit ago and sold it, and with my new one I am trying to get the most out of it that I can.

Thanks
    Not maintaining higher RPM's and riding the brake seem to be two of the most consistent bad-habits I have read about (here and other places).

Again, it is arbitrary, but I shift to 2nd gear based on the speedo being no lower than 22 MPH, but mostly nearer 28 MPH. From there I do not shift (typically) until I see the RPM's above 4800 -- and typically above 5,000.

In doing so, I do not have to roll-back the throttle at all (as I did prior to running at higher RPM's). The trans just slips into the next gear very smoothly and without much, if any, sound ever.

I will stay in 4th gear up to around 63 / 65 MPH if cruising-along. That puts the RPM's at around 5,500 or so. In that gear at that RPM, the motor's vibrations seem to melt away and it purrs smoothly. (I promise, it took me some time to get used to it -- especially when switching back-n-forth between my HD Ultra-Classic. I am now quite comfortable with high RPM's now.)

While I am not a mechanic, I have been told by several that running the Spyder at low RPM's can eventually cause too much stress, and possible failure in the main-bearings -- something you do not want to pay the bill to have fixed. Cannot vouch for that info though -- but that type of problem is common on snowmobiles that are consistently over-loaded and ran hard from a stop. (Too much torque on the drivetrain so I am told.)

I never had a problem with riding brakes on any vehicle I operate -- so I have not had any experience -- however I hear where others are having all kinds of problems with their Spyders when they do so. Apparently the "nanny" doesn't know if you want to go or stop. Makes sense because riding a brake while moving forward doesn't.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 07-07-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Corrected one mis-statement.