Thanks for the clarification. Good to know about the clutch. I have found that I like it much better downshifting myself instead of letting the bike do it for me. It downshifts much smoother when I do it. Great forum here! I really appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
Let the flogging begin! Ha! Just joking... no flogging is going to happen.

If you read the list you will see that it mostly applies to the RT. It is understood the RS has different characteristics. The engine is even slightly different than an RT. (Shorter stroke.)

If there were any one particular suggestion I would adhere to would be to keep your RPM's at 4,300 or higher in any given gear you are in (give or take). Since you are running at 4,900 and not lugging it... you are probably doing just fine -- although you are not realizing your machines best performance.

Too many think that since higher RPM's are suggested that you have to ride the Spyder like a maniac. That just isn't so...

As mentioned... the clutch engages in the low 2,000 range, however is not fully locked-in until the low to mid 3,000's. Riding it below the range of it being locked-in can cause slippage (even if you do not notice it); which will eventually wear-out your clutch. (Read the manual for the RPM the clutch "stalls". That is the RPM where it is locked.)

Regarding using higher RPM's in general, for those that do try to follow the suggestions will find their machine will operate closer to peak performance with regard to power. (As you mentioned, the power-band's strength is at higher RPM's.)

If anyone doesn't want to run their machine at the higher RPM's, that is their business. For the many riders that do and have become accustomed to it are finding their machines run better and have more power at the throttle at any given time -- which equals better overall performance and enjoyment. There are simply too many that ride their machines at higher RPM's that can testify to the performance improvement.

Regarding "wear" on the engine at higher RPM's... I would not necessarily agree with it causing more wear. Obviously, that subject is going to be highly debated. However, in my humble opinion; if you keep your machine properly maintained; running the engine closer to its peak power-band should not be a problem -- especially compared to someone that consistently runs their machine in higher gears at lower RPM's.