Spyder Garage

Default Rock in drive belt

My wife and I got caught in a road paving construction zone yesterday and she picked up a rock/pebble in her drive belt. I dug it out and it is just off center. Do you think the belt would need replaciing? I will try to get a picture and post.

Spyder Garage

Here are some pics, sorry not real clear but you can see location in belt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ITSMYWIFES View Post
    Here are some pics, sorry not real clear but you can see location in belt.
    I will be parroting what's in the Shop Manual.

1. Stone damage - replace belt

2. it also states that both sprockets should be replaced to facilitate best belt ware. That said, if the stone has done no damage to the sprockets and they have low mileage on them - you may not need to.

Hope this helps and doesn't ruin your evening.

Jer

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Jer,

Thanks for the reply, only 7000 miles on Spyder and just a few miles with stone in belt. No damage to pulleys. She actually felt the rock go into belt. Guess I'll be putting a new belt on, looks pretty simple compared to Harley.

Spyder Garage

You might try driving it a little that way. If the hole/indentation does not get any bigger and there does not seem to be any performance issues. I probably would not go on any long trips with the belt like that though.

The rock we got in ours cause the belt to crack so I replaced it right away.

Prepare for $275 ish for the belt plus installation labor.

It is a bummer when you try real hard not to have things happen and they do anyway.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Jer,

Thanks for the reply, only 7000 miles on Spyder and just a few miles with stone in belt. No damage to pulleys. She actually felt the rock go into belt. Guess I'll be putting a new belt on, looks pretty simple compared to Harley.
    Important to note. When you jack the Spyder up DO NOT place a jack under the rear shock mount - under main frame only. Must have to do with it (shock mount) being constructed and installed to accept the shocks down force, but not for lifting the Spyder?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I would drive it like that unless I were taking a trip, and order a new belt in the meantime, it doesn't look too bad to me, if it's not on the edge it could last a while, maybe until it's time for a new tire, then change it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I got caught in a road paving construction zone yesterday and she picked up a rock/pebble in her drive belt. I dug it out and it is just off center. Do you think the belt would need replaciing? I will try to get a picture and post.
    I would order one replace it then put on the spyderpops gaurd then carry that one as a spare I figured out a way to zip tie a spare to the upper frame tube on the left side I wrapped it in leather to protect it from heat and rubbing all hidden under the side panels
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

I punched a bigger hole than that in a harley belt on a dyna, it was just a little closer tothe center, but that belt was still on 50,000 miles later. The hole had not changed at all. Just keep an eye on it. I would probably not take a long trip until it is replaced. would hate to be 2 ststes away from home and have it go out.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Default Rock in Belt Drive

I do not have a photo but I got one similar to that on the way to Durango, might have ridden 2,000 miles with it but honestly do not know when I got it. I got it out luckily no sprocket damage and rode 820 miles home without change. I would not be too concerned.
    SPYDEB

Spyder Garage

I have a spot almost just like that on mine and that was 9,000 miles ago and still going strong. These belts are tougher than you think. I would just keep an eye on it and before long you won`t even think about it any more. If you worry about it then I would not hesitate to change it for peace of mind.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I would order one replace it then put on the spyderpops gaurd then carry that one as a spare I figured out a way to zip tie a spare to the upper frame tube on the left side I wrapped it in leather to protect it from heat and rubbing all hidden under the side panels
    does the spyderpops guard really help?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    does the spyderpops guard really help?
    Yes I am sure it helps I got the first stone on the first Spyder at 3500 mi with out gaurds put on the gaurds now we have 26000 mi combined and ride gravel roads a lot , the problem is the rear is only a few inches off the road and if you look the inside is wide open no protection at all
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    Yes I am sure it helps I got the first stone on the first Spyder at 3500 mi with out gaurds put on the gaurds now we have 26000 mi combined and ride gravel roads a lot , the problem is the rear is only a few inches off the road and if you look the inside is wide open no protection at all
    The rear of what "is only a few inches off the road"? If you look inside of what is wide open no protection at all?
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the responses and recommendations, to be on the safe side I'm ordering a replacement belt and will change it myself. We have some trips planned for this summer and don't want to worry about it. Also will be ordering the Spyderpops belt guard (which I should have got when installed the air management system,heat guard, and air dam) so I have no future worries. Again, thanks for all your input. Gotta love this forum!
    Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as it certainly could have been!
    You might want to take a real close look at the pulleys and give them a bit of polishing while the belt's off just to catch any minor dings or scratches...
    And keep the old belt as a spare!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    The rear of what "is only a few inches off the road"? If you look inside of what is wide open no protection at all?
    The rear sprocket is only a few inchs off the road the whole belt is wide open on the inside take a look
    2 happy happy spyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did the same thing last summer. Still on the same belt and 7000 mi later w/no change. I'd run the crap out of it. I run a loose tension on my drive belt though.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I got a little stone caught in drive belt took it back to dealer to check drive belt and also rear sprocket. No damage . Dealer told me that the rear sprocket can crack when rocks get caught in the drive belt.

Spyder Garage

Well I got the belt changed today on the wife's Spyder. Belt cost from dealer was $240.00 and it took me less than 2 hours start to finish. I didn't even have to take off the rear tire. Just unbolted lower rear shock mount, jacked up Spyder and had plenty of slack to slip off the belt. It was actually quite easy! Yes, I also installed the Spyderpops belt guard which I should have done
    before.