Spyder Garage

Default Best Border Crossing from Michigan into Canada

Trying to plan a nice ride to SITA from Chicago area. I am thinking of using the north route through Canada. What's the best place to cross into Canada? I was looking at Port Huron or Detroit area.

Also, any tips a Yank needs to know when riding in Canada? (Besides the obvious, passport, registration, insurance, switch to Km)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Trying to plan a nice ride to SITA from Chicago area. I am thinking of using the north route through Canada. What's the best place to cross into Canada? I was looking at Port Huron or Detroit area.

Also, any tips a Yank needs to know when riding in Canada? (Besides the obvious, passport, registration, insurance, switch to Km)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I don't have any riding tips other than to stay at the speed limit. And that's not miles per hour, that was hard for me.

I would take the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron. Easy on and off the bridge. I have never been through the Windsor tunnel but that is probably not to bad. A lot of traffic on both sides I believe. DO NOT take the Ambassador Bridge. Please do not put another dime in Matty Maroun's pocket. Plus it is a bit of a nightmare from what I understand, a lot of truck traffic. Trucks are not allowed through the Windsor Tunnel.
    Last edited by mxz600; 06-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    I would take the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron. Easy on and off the bridge.
    I concur!

Spyder Garage

Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron..... agree 1000000%

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I agree about the ambasitor bridge. Can't believe he is convincing so many people its a bridge to nowhere so he can maintain his cash cow. I'm sure Canadian's arnt very happy being called "nowhere"
    Jayson & Maggie
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S Cognac
    2012 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Edition Brown
    2010 NT700V Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I agree about the ambasitor bridge. Can't believe he is convincing so many people its a bridge to nowhere so he can maintain his cash cow. I'm sure Canadian's arnt very happy being called "nowhere"
    Always good to see another Michigan Spyder.

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Problems with KPH? Pull over, and switch your display to kilometers in your settings. Should help.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

You beat me to the KPH question. It just takes about 5 seconds to change the over. That is a feature that I like a lot. Now you can run your at 100 sometimes and not even get into trouble.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Problems with KPH? Pull over, and switch your display to kilometers in your settings. Should help.
    Good call on switching over the display on the Spyder. I have only traveled in Canada on four wheels and my eyes just are not trained to look at that other set of numbers on the Speedometer.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The Blue Water Bridge is the way to go. Last year there was a lot of construction just before the bridge so be carseful there. Be sure to fill up your tank before you cross over as gas in Canada is very expensive. You'll hit a bunch of traffic around the Toronto area but then it gets very rural and pretty. When I went to SITA we took 401 there and came back via 3 around Lake Ontario with a side trip to Niagara Falls and then back across the Blue Water (I lived in West Michigan at the time) The ride around Lake Ontario was gorgeous and I would highly recommend it. However, the border crossing at Niagara Falls took a long time to get through.

Have a great time at SITA - I had a blast last year and wish I was able to go again this year.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Take the ferry across at Marine City/Sombra

I have crossed over from Michigan to Ontario using all of the various border crossings. (Ambassador Bridge/Detroit Windsor Tunnel/Bluewater Bridge, Walpole Island Ferry, Sombra Ferry)

The Sombra Ferry out of Marine City, Michigan to Sombra, Ontario has been the most convenient for us. The bridges can get very congested at various times and I find the short ferry ride better than waiting in traffic line ups at the border. The agents on both sides of the border tend to be very efficient and we have never had any issues using this route.

Crossing into New York State on your way to SITA can be done at either Fort Erie, Wolf Island up near Kingston, or the bridge at Prescott Ontario. I like the Wolf Island bridge (Thousand Islands area) entry into upper state NY, but that is just me.

In short you have options. Unfortunately, once you hit Ontario you will have a few more hours of slab riding before getting over to the twisties in upper state NY. Lots of options......

Spyder Garage

Port Huron will work best for you, unless small ferries are your thing. Take the one from Algonac Mi, and it lands on an Indian Reservation(Walpole Island). Used to take the kids across that way just because it was different than the Ambassador Bridge or Detroit/Windsor tunnel. Been across those more times than I can count. From there take highway 402 to 401 to 403 to the QEW. That will take you right to Buffalo-unless you skip off at 420 and take in Niagara Falls. Heading thru Canada is much shorter for you.

Spyder Garage

From the Blue Water Bridge you've got 2 choices, Buffalo or the Thousand Islands, Buffalo puts you near Niagara, Thousand Islands may take a little longer, but the scenery is really great. I'd suggest going out one way, coming back the other.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Into Canada

A word of caution. Make sure you do not have any DUI problems. My brother-in-law who no longer drives was with us and when they checked in the computer his status they found that he never completed the required DUI course from a few years back so he was not allowed to enter. Of course I wanted to leave him right there and continue the trip but the spouse's convinced me otherwise.

Spyder Garage

Maybe our Canadian friends can clarify this. Used to be you could not cross the border with a functional CB radio. I don't know how they handle built in radios. Maybe they don't care any more
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mspiv View Post
    Maybe our Canadian friends can clarify this. Used to be you could not cross the border with a functional CB radio. I don't know how they handle built in radios. Maybe they don't care any more
    Not a problem. Truckers use them all the time as well.
    Aspydering Ryder
    subsisto inrideo amicitia

I may not be perfect but, I am Canadian, and that's close enough!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mspiv View Post
    Hmm.........a functioning CB, have not heard that one before? Now a functioning radar detector in the province of Ontario I would reccomend leaving it at home.

Port Huron onto the 402 on the Canadian side is a lot less congested in my opinion. The construction going on in Windsor in anticipation of the new bridge we are loaning you Michigonians the money for is a real bummer. Port Huron to the 402 is the way to go or the 'ferries" the others speak of sounds kinda cool as well.

Enjoy your trip and your time in Canada.........beware going through Toronto, lots of traffic and totally absent minded numb skulls on the road. Once past Oshawa as someone already mentioned the road starts to have a more calming appeal to it.
    2011 RTS SM5