Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ohio couple killed

Two threads I could have posted this in .....both were relevant.

Article in todays paper about a couple killed last night riding their 2012 spyder. Failed to negotiate a curve , hit a ditch and overturned and pronounced dead at the scene. Patrol stated that neither were wearing helmets. No other details were given .

I'm wondering if part of the cause might have been from a salesman telling them the spyder is almost impossible to flip and cannot go into a turn too fast. I was at a dealership last week and heard a salesman telling a guy that and I had to speak up.Salesman was new and didn't even know how to start it. He also told the guy that a friend of his rode his to Florida non stop except for 3 times to get gas .From where the accident happened I'm pretty certain the bike was bought at this dealership. Why do salesmen spread these stories other than to make a sale ? I did talk to the manager about it and he said he'd look into it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please let us know what you find out about this...
    Good point! False information can be a dangerous thing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry

Sorry about the repost....didn't see the thread had been submitted earlier.

Spyder Garage

To there families.
    Happy Owner

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't know that FL. was only 600 miles from OH. What an ass. I hate hearing crap like that, but I'm sure it goes on everyday.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

I too was told that the spyder was almost inpossible to flip in a curve.Lucky I've had a lot of experance on bikes an trikes. for famely

Spyder Garage

Schmoosing by salesman who don't know about the product can result in very bad information. I am hoping that was not the cause of this particular accident.

I am fortunate to have a dealer that has pretty good product knowledge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

FOR THEIR FAMILY. SO SAD.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

A good salesman doesn't have to know squat about the product there selling , This way they can say anything to make you feel good with a straight face to make the sale. Most salespeople don't stay in one place too long so they can't possibly know the product anyway. One week there selling Spyders and the next week there into vacuum cleaners.

Spyder Garage

2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    I'm wondering if part of the cause might have been from a salesman telling them the spyder is almost impossible to flip and cannot go into a turn too fast. I was at a dealership last week and heard a salesman telling a guy that and I had to speak up.Salesman was new and didn't even know how to start it. He also told the guy that a friend of his rode his to Florida non stop except for 3 times to get gas .From where the accident happened I'm pretty certain the bike was bought at this dealership. Why do salesmen spread these stories other than to make a sale ? I did talk to the manager about it and he said he'd look into it.
    If you are talking about the one in Lancaster, when I was checking out Spyder's I asked the salesperson if there was a a toolkit. He told me no. Being a Goldwing owner myself (and having owned other motorcycles) I was used to my motorcycle having some type of toolkit (even if rudimentary). But, he said NO TOOLKIT of any kind.

I did buy my Spyder, but elsewhere. SEE MY STORY HERE. I made some comment to my salesperson at the selling dealership and she said "Oh, it does have a toolkit" and she showed me the kit tucked away under the seat. I have added some of my own tools based upon recommendations I have read in this FORUM.

My real point to my story, several weeks latter when I was back in the service and parts department (of the Lancaster dealership) buying some parts (for the Goldwing, not the Spyder) I mentioned this to the counter guy and he told me he was "surprised" because that salesperson was the "best". He did tell me he would let the salesperson know about the toolkit.

Story and video on the death of the two Spyder Riders HERE
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 06-21-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default The rest of the Story

Was at the dealership (where this couple bought their Spyder) to look for accessories. The guys back in SERVICE AND PARTS were under the impression the husband may have had little or no previous experience as a motorcycle operator.

I'm wondering if part of the cause might have been from a salesman telling them the Spyder is almost impossible to flip and cannot go into a turn too fast.
    No matter what the salesperson told them, don't you think after their 1st curve anyone with any sense would say WHOA, THIS FEELS WEIRD? and adjust accordingly? I am an experienced rider and the feel was completely different then what I was used to on my Goldwing. The one fella told me he lives near them (he didn't know them personally) and the accident occurred around a mile from their home.

Not sure about the rest of the country, but how many stories have you read where someone, with no experience, has driven their "crotch rocket" off the road? Accidents and injuries for 1st year riders is much higher then for experienced riders.

Of course when law enforcement officials act foolishly themselves (READ HERE) it doesn't help.

This story (READ HERE) has appeared in Ohio about cracking down on unlicensed riders.

One possibility, he was letting his wife drive (equally inexperienced). No witnesses and the news stories say there is no way to tell who was operating the vehicle at the time. (SPECIAL NOTE: Sorry for being a neanderthal, but everyone assumes the man drives and the woman is the passenger)

(SPECIAL SPECIAL NOTE: One of the people who I talked to, that later resulted in me buying my Spyder, was a woman on a Spyder RS)
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 06-24-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Two threads I could have posted this in .....both were relevant.

Article in todays paper about a couple killed last night riding their 2012 spyder. Failed to negotiate a curve , hit a ditch and overturned and pronounced dead at the scene. Patrol stated that neither were wearing helmets. No other details were given .

First of all Our prayers go out to the family for their lose of their loved ones. That being said, as a professional driver myself and I'm refering to 18 wheelers with over 40 yrs. driving exprience, the quote above is trying to put blame on the dealership and salesman. When you buy a vehicle of any type, their job is to sell their merchandise. If you don't have the common sense to understand what you are buying and how it works and then go out driving it like you are an experience operator of this equipment you are asking for trouble. I don't care what kind of vehicle you are driving if your driving to fast or something jumps out infront of you and you are not experience with the equipment and you go off the road you are more than likely to lose control and flip if there is a ditch. (Lancaster post commander of the Highway Patrol, said it appeared the motorcycle was headed east on Pleasantville Road when it went off the right side of the road.The motorcycle then struck a ditch and overturned more than once.) and the daughter stated in the video that they were risk takers. My opinion is the dealer did their job selling the vehicle to a customer and should not be acountable for the couples driving habits. Again my prayers goes out to the family.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I live about 10 miles from this scene and went to investigate it. It was a straight stretch and they had spent some time at a bar, she was driving and had 4 ONVI suspention and he had lost his driving privages for LIFE . Where it happened there could have a animal run in front cause her to miss it but lost it. Just glad that no others life were lost.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Also the other factor was speed it was to fast for the area, i drive it around 40 mph at safe speed.
    The dealer did there job for service and sales and it is NOT there responibilties on how the the person drive.

Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
    First of all Our prayers go out to the family for their lose of their loved ones. That being said, as a professional driver myself and I'm refering to 18 wheelers with over 40 yrs. driving exprience, the quote above is trying to put blame on the dealership and salesman. When you buy a vehicle of any type, their job is to sell their merchandise. If you don't have the common sense to understand what you are buying and how it works and then go out driving it like you are an experience operator of this equipment you are asking for trouble. I don't care what kind of vehicle you are driving if your driving to fast or something jumps out infront of you and you are not experience with the equipment and you go off the road you are more than likely to lose control and flip if there is a ditch. (Lancaster post commander of the Highway Patrol, said it appeared the motorcycle was headed east on Pleasantville Road when it went off the right side of the road.The motorcycle then struck a ditch and overturned more than once.) and the daughter stated in the video that they were risk takers. My opinion is the dealer did their job selling the vehicle to a customer and should not be acountable for the couples driving habits. Again my prayers goes out to the family.
    The age old debate about accepting responsibility for your actions.......I totally agree

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering if part of the cause might have been from a salesman telling them the spyder is almost impossible to flip and cannot go into a turn too fast.
    REALLY??? Do you honestly think there's a vehicle made that would go into this ditch and not flip??? Does a salesman have to tell you to avoid deep ditches?

spyder_motorcycle_death.jpg
    This was obviously a tragic event, and my heart also goes out to their families and friends. We will never know if this was caused by an animal in their path, excessive speed, or whatever. As you can see, there was very little shoulder here so it doesn't take much of a swerve to end up in trouble. But blaming it on a salesperson is the most ridiculous thing I could ever imagine!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    ONVI suspention

Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

I agree with Johnny.

Chris

Spyder Garage

"In Ohio, law enforcement primarily use the term OVI (operating a vehicle under the influence) which is the same as a DUI (driving under the influence) in other states." Quote form this site.

ONVI suspention
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Very sad indeed. Any vehicle... especially motorcycles are able to get out of control and kill. Could have been operator error, something in the road, etc....

Lesson to be learned is to wear helmets and be careful out there.

Certainly there are dealers selling these to previous non-riders who may be more apt to have an accident compared to a long-time MC rider.

The Spyder is only as safe as you make it.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Baughman View Post
    It was a straight stretch and they had spent some time at a bar, she was driving and had 4 ONVI suspention and he had lost his driving privages for LIFE ..
    So has any of this been reported as factual by the investigating agencies?
    "Risk takers"... I'm also a risk taker if you count when she asks me if a pair of slacks make her look fat and I reply, "No worse than usual!"

Uh-oh! I gotta run!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pellcitypete View Post
    I too was told that the Spyder was almost inpossible to flip in a curve. Lucky I've had a lot of experience on bikes an trikes.
    I would not use the word lucky. Anyone driving safe and sober would realize in short order the trike has a feel to it when taking curves and would adjust & compensate accordingly. Experience might help you make the adjustment quicker but I would like to think even a newbie would catch on in short order (unless impaired).

...the quote above is trying to put blame on the dealership and salesman. When you buy a vehicle of any type, their job is to sell their merchandise. If you don't have the common sense to understand what you are buying and how it works and then go out driving it like you are an experience operator of this equipment you are asking for trouble.
    I agree. My problem is look at all the stupid laws we have on the books to protect the dumbest among us. Have you read some of the safety labels they put on products today?

Liquid Plum'r
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Windex
    Do not spray in eyes

Arm & Hammer Scoopable Cat Litter
    Safe to use around pets.

Dial Soap
    Directions: Use like regular soap.

Sleeping Pills
    Warning: May cause Drowsiness.

Rain Gauge
    Suitable for outdoor use.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Baughman View Post
    I live about 10 miles from this scene and went to investigate it. It was a straight stretch and they had spent some time at a bar, she was driving and had 4 OMVI suspensions and he had lost his driving privages for LIFE.
    I assume what you are saying above is factual? Or heresay? To be honest, when I listened to the Channel 6 TV video I posted, the daughter does not seem surprised by the turn of events. Her demeanor certainly renders credence to what you have said. You comfortable this is true?

ONVI suspention
    I assumed he meant OMVI (operating motor vehicle under the influence). Interchangeable with DUI (driving under the influence) and OVI (operating vehicle under influence). In Ohio we have had people arrested for operating lawn tractors and powered wheelchairs on the public right-of-way while drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desert Spyder View Post
    REALLY??? Do you honestly think there's a vehicle made that would go into this ditch and not flip??? Does a salesman have to tell you to avoid deep ditches?
    SEE THE DUMB LABELS I LISTED ABOVE. BRP needs to put stickers all over the vehicle reminding people not to drive in ditches or leave the road at a high rate of speed or (the list goes on).

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Certainly there are dealers selling these to previous non-riders who may be more apt to have an accident compared to a long-time MC rider.
    There is a local motorcycle dealer who stopped selling ATV's years ago because he got uncomfortable with all the dumbasses who bought for their kids and/or themselves with little or no regard for safety. He just dropped his entire line of ATV's.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 06-24-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

I usually tell people that, at speed, a conventional trike in a turn will plow straight ahead until the front wheel grabs then there is a good chance of it flipping. I tell them that, while the Spyder can be made to flip on pavement, it is much more difficult to do so. THAT BEING SAID, if you are moving at any kind of higher speed and jerk the handlebar too quickly say to the left, the machine will make a very sudden left turn and if you are not prepared, YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF GOING STRAIGHT AHEAD!!!!! The only time I have ever gotten my RT to act like it might flip was in a tight turn in a parking lot with a 220 lb passenger behind me (also near 220) and the high center of gravity was the scaryfactor. I find the RT extremely stable and recommend it to anyone ready to give up two wheels! Down here, it may not sound like a Harley, but it will outlook it and outrun it every time.
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While we DO have Nanny on our side; she can't stop the stupid or truly suicidal from completing their missions...