Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka Stages, which one is right? How much one can afford?

With so many stages of Elka shocks, how does one decide which to purchase? Is the decision money driven? How is one "stage" better than another.
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fliight Risk View Post
    With so many stages of Elka shocks, how does one decide which to purchase? Is the decision money driven? How is one "stage" better than another.
    Well,you're doing what I did..which is ask questions.Trooper at Elka helped me decide what was best for me and my budget.Hopefully Trooper will field this or maybe Matt at KewlMetal might be able to help you answer your question.
    They both might be headed for Durango, so be patient.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Elkas

Plus Len at Cowtown is a big help.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Feel free to give me a call at the office if you would like so I can steer you in the right direction. 1-800-557-0552 ext. 257.

Regards,

John @ Elka

ps: I would gladly answer in this thread but I have one arm in a sling, and considering how long the answer may be, it would be really long to type it.

Spyder Garage

I've read dozens of threads on Elkas and the VAST majority seem to love them. Most times the stages aren't mentioned but, on several, stage 1s are specifically mentioned generally with glowing reviews as to how much better they are than stock. if that's the case, what would be the need to get Rs, 2s, 4s or 5s?
    In other words, if you put the stage 1s on and there are still issues did you waste your money?
    Question to those with the stage 1s, are you happy with them or do you wish you got a higher end product?? thx Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    I've read dozens of threads on Elkas and the VAST majority seem to love them. Most times the stages aren't mentioned but, on several, stage 1s are specifically mentioned generally with glowing reviews as to how much better they are than stock. if that's the case, what would be the need to get Rs, 2s, 4s or 5s?
    In other words, if you put the stage 1s on and there are still issues did you waste your money?
    Question to those with the stage 1s, are you happy with them or do you wish you got a higher end product?? thx Tom
    I've installed Stage1s or entry level,on both my RT and my RS(which I've sold since)...beautiful and IMO my most important mod.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post

ps: I would gladly answer in this thread but I have one arm in a sling, and considering how long the answer may be, it would be really long to type it.

I hope that everything is (or will be) okay...

heal quickly!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Feel free to give me a call at the office if you would like so I can steer you in the right direction. 1-800-557-0552 ext. 257.

Regards,

John @ Elka

Wow no Bass Playing for awhile.
    Get well.
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I play the bass too. I'll play a little extra for you this week.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Regards,

John @ Elka

Just called and left a voice mail for John...........will post after I speak with him. Thanks guys!!! ya'll are always there for me and my questions!!!
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I hope that everything is (or will be) okay...

heal quickly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Wow no Bass Playing for awhile.
    Get well.
    Thanks for the well wishes. I ran wide in a curb trying to avoid one of those damn tar snakes on my motorcycle and dumped her in the grass. Was going about 40 mph at the time and ended up with a broken shoulder blade, bruised ribs, various scrapes and bruises, and a bruised ego. Thank the lord for full face helmets, as from the looks of it, god knows what kind of condition my head would be in right now.

Other than that, I am just fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    I've installed Stage1s or entry level,on both my RT and my RS(which I've sold since)...beautiful and IMO my most important mod.
    Am I correct in that you have a 2010 RT?? Would there be that much gain in a 2012?

Spyder Garage

Default Heal quickly, Trooper!

Time for a Spyder, eh?

Still in love with my Stage 1+ fronts from SpyderFest...

Trucks on the Interstate? What trucks on the Interstate!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Default Just ordered Elkas!

Just had a very very nice conversation with John aka Trooper at Elka Shocks. After hearing about my riding style and letting me ask question after question, he suggested Elka Stage 1+.........apparently 95% of the RT owners that buy Elka's, use these particular shocks. He graciously let me drone on about my RTS vs Texas wind gusts and riding aggressively in the twisties with an endless line of two wheelers. He explained the difference in all of the stages that Elka offers and said he would find the post he wrote a while back and do a copy/paste for us to see. He also suggested I call Len at Cowtown to get the Spyder Lovers members' discount. The heads up John gave me for the dealership was that these shocks mount upside down compared to the OEM shocks......basically "right reading of the word Elka".

Len at Cowtown was most helpful and I have ordered the Elka Stage 1+. Installation should be no more than 15 minutes, which means my dealership will probably charge me for 2 hours........OYE! Len offers a 100% guarantee including shipping with these shocks!

I will get back to you with more info when I receive the shocks and have them mounted.........! I can't wait!!!
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

I have the Elka 1+, and I drive very aggressively in the twisties in Tennessee and absolutely love my Elkas! The twisties are not jerky like with the stock shocks, the Elkas are so smooth and I can keep up with the two wheelers and actually get upset because they go too slow thru the twisties for me now! Enjoy!!!!

Spyder Garage

For those with the 1+, did you get the rear also or just the fronts? Given the air suspension I'm assuming the rear is not as big a deal.

Spyder Garage

Smile Elka Stage 1 +R

I have a 2012 RT-S SE-5.
    I've been riding with the stocks shocks set at (Five) since the second day.
    Installed the Elka's on Saturday, Have not been able to take the smile off my face since It's like getting a new Spyder all over again Turns, you bet, better than ever, so smooth. You don't really notice how much better it is until you look at the speedo (10-20 mph faster than before ) Wind, from trucks, what trucks, now the Spyder stays straight as an arrow and now the wind moves you in the seat, instead of chasing the Spyder all over the road.

Just can't say enough..... By the Way did I Mention I Have A On My Face......

2012 Quantum Blue Metallic RT-S (SE5)
    Elka Stage 1 +R, Yosh R-77 Muffler, Cat Bypass, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, HMT Brake Light, Garmin 660,( Spyderpops BumpSkid, Lower Radiator Block Off Plate, Catalytic Converter Shield, & Missing Belt Guard) GloRyder's, (Tricled “Vader wings” & Super White LED Fender Lights) Butler Mug Holder, Shortee Antenna, Prosport digital voltage/clock gauges. Baja Ron's Plugs/Wire and Sway Bar....

Spyder Garage

I just got the front.

Spyder Garage

flybuddy
    For those with the 1+, did you get the rear also or just the fronts? Given the air suspension I'm assuming the rear is not as big a deal.
    Just the front here. Like you said, "Given the air suspension I'm assuming the rear is not as big a deal".

2012 Quantum Blue Metallic RT-S (SE5)
    Elka Stage 1 +R, Yosh R-77 Muffler, Cat Bypass, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, HMT Brake Light, Garmin 660,( Spyderpops BumpSkid, Lower Radiator Block Off Plate, Catalytic Converter Shield, & Missing Belt Guard) GloRyder's, (Tricled “Vader wings” & Super White LED Fender Lights) Butler Mug Holder, Shortee Antenna, Prosport digital voltage/clock gauges. Baja Ron's Plugs/Wire and Sway Bar....

Spyder Garage

Default rear shocks

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    According to John at Elka, the OEM rear shock can "die" around 12,000 to 15,000 miles. He said we will know it when it happens. That would be the time to consider the Elka rear shock.

John also said that the Elka Stage 1+ front shocks raises the "A" arms (Articulating arms) about 1-1 1/2" so it is more parallel to the ground like the RS.
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Ok---you guys have talked me into it...I just ordered the stage 1s + r...thx for all the info..Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well wear them in good health!
    Now we're waiting on your ryde report!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wanted more than the stage 1s, but not as much as the stage 5s. Was looking at maybe the stage 4s (why are there no stage 3s?) but cowtown gave me such a good deal on the 5s that what I ended up ordering.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fliight Risk View Post

I've been wanting to ask the same question. I 'm sure others have swell. I look forward to the posted description. Will the Elka's help keep the tires planted in the twisties and hopefully keep the nanny from ruining the fun. I am still working on riding style, my background is mostly large atv trail riding, I wish i could get the Spyder to powerslide.

Spyder Garage

Len fixed us up with Elka's for the front of our 2011 RT SE5 and it was like getting a new Spyder again. We did not go with rear shock.

I can't wait to ryde ours again.