Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default catalitic converter

what are the pros and cons of removing this unit?

Spyder Garage

More polution, less heat. Not sure if changed need to be made with engine.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default conveter

thanks smoke I wonder what the dealer would say about this. From what I'm told you pick horse power and fuel gets better. Thanks Gary

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gary lester View Post
    thanks smoke I wonder what the dealer would say about this. From what I'm told you pick horse power and fuel gets better. Thanks Gary
    Any dealer would be a fool to condone removing the cat; Its called Tampering with a federal emissions device.
    Very stiff finds if caught. That said some do it.

Spyder Garage

Wonder what the laws are regarding catalytic converters on motorcycles?? I was at a Bike Night yesterday and there were lots of new bikes that I couldn't see a cat having been installed.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I really don't know anything about it but it is MHO that the Cat. is for places like CA. and other states that have high standards for air pollution. As someone said most MCs do not have them.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Default Removing Catylic Converter

Don't get caught in California with it removed. Even an aftermarket exhaust is a no no. That said, I'd go ahead and modify things and hope I didn't get caught.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default converter

I'm not sure but is there any other motorcycle out there with a cat? I know what everyone is saying about getteing in trouble but also think about some of the new cars out there that have removed the cat. I guess my main question is will I have to do anything spacial once the cat is gone?

Spyder Garage

Default Playin' with Fire

I'm not sure but is there any other motorcycle out there with a cat? I know what everyone is saying about getteing in trouble but also think about some of the new cars out there that have removed the cat. I guess my main question is will I have to do anything spacial once the cat is gone?
    I'd leave it alone, dude. Your engine and O2 settings are tuned to accommodate the catalytic (correct spelling) converter. And, like somebody else said here, it's there by law. I won't say all, but MOST of the folks I know who have modified their exhaust systems to gain an hp or two have suffered in fuel mpg. That's their choice, but few if any have ka-bashed the cat. The Spyder is different and more complex than many motorcycles insofar as its electronics, ignition and computer. Unless you have a shop, all the equipment and testing instruments ... and the skill to un-screw what you may screw up, I'd walk away from this plan. I doubt you would ever get the return on hp or whatever you think you're going to get by removing the cat.

Taking off cats was something people used to do in the 70s at the onset of unleaded fuel, because they were poorly designed, restrictive and, moreover, so drivers could burn leaded fuel. Then those same people started having problems with valves and timing. It was because leaded fuel burned hotter and the timing, depending on the car, needed to be advanced or retarded somewhat.

So, it's 45 years later now. Catalytic converters are generally efficient and you're not going find leaded fuel, let alone burn it in your Spyder... so I'm tellin ya ... It's not worth it. Finally, if you were to ever have to sell your spyder or take it to another state it would never pass an inspection.

~ Surfer
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 06-17-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Catalytic Converter

Bike sounds much better and engine more responsive. Haven't found any cons yet.

Spyder Garage

Lots of motorcycles have cats.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default converter

I can see everybodys views and I do believe your all right. At this age you tend to not reason things out. The thing is that if I do this I will also void my warrenty . Thanks for everybodys input, I guess this is why we have this forum. I know there are lot smarter people out there than I am. I guess BRP made my spyder this way for a reason and leave it alone. Thanks again Gary