Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't get it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question I don't get it.

Every year, for the past 4 years, about this time there is thread after thread about heat issues. First. it was on the GS, then the RS and now for the past 2 years, on the RT. Heck Spyderpops has made a living dealing with this problem. What I don't understand, is why doesn't BRP solve this problem? Why do they continue to put out a product that they know has this issue
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    What I don't understand, is why doesn't BRP solve this problem? Why do they continue to put out a product that they know has this issue
    It's cold in Canada....
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc...
    But there may also be more truth in that statement than anybody will care to admit!
    Product developement time can take quite a while... Perhaps the "next" RT and RS will have it sorted out.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

Heck its all the products.. I sell the Can am ATVs which I believe are the best.. But they have always had a heating issue,, Some one the other day said its because of all the torque the engine creates,, Yes I want the heat issues resolved,, No I don't want to loose torque lol

Spyder Garage

As much as I'd like to see the heat go away, it has to go somewhere.

I was out for a walk yesterday and as I was walking past a parked car that had the engine running, I could feel the heat radiating out from it. Since the passengers were in the car, I'm sure they had the AC running and didn't notice the heat.

The spyder is not so fortunate. It isn't enclosed and it doesn't have AC. I just installed SpyderPops cat-shield and lower block-off plate on my RT. I haven't had a chance to see how effective it is, but I'm hoping that I can at least get the heat to go somewhere else.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neutron View Post
    Heck its all the products.. I sell the Can am ATVs which I believe are the best.. But they have always had a heating issue,, Some one the other day said its because of all the torque the engine creates,, Yes I want the heat issues resolved,, No I don't want to loose torque lol
    The 800s and 1000s do need some tweaking. I've got a buddy in Utah who rides an Outtie 8 MAX and he's mounting another fan under the front rack with some ducting to increase airflow to the radiator. He's also filled it up with engine ice too!
    And the bike STILL will get warm on low-speed passes in the mountains!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Get real guys your sitting on an internal combustion engine, Its gotta generate heat, I can remember two bikes off hand that i had that generated more heat than my Spyder. [Sv650 and a Hayabusa]
    Sure Brp could change the engine layout, get rid of the panel's and turn it into a naked trike but after looking at that monstrously would you have bought one.

And think about it, In the winter heat is good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Get real guys your sitting on an internal combustion engine, Its gotta generate heat, I can remember two bikes off hand that i had that generated more heat than my Spyder. [Sv650 and a Hayabusa]
    Sure Brp could change the engine layout, get rid of the panel's and turn it into a naked trike but after looking at that monstrously would you have bought one.

And think about it, In the winter heat is good.

I don't get how everyone is so dumbfounded by the heat. Not to be rude, but those who complain must not have ever ridden a 2-wheeler. All engines get hot, the heat has to go somewhere, and you're essentially riding on top of a semi-exposed engine. I've chimed in on another post about this somewhere and my response was, and still is, if you where the proper riding gear the heat is diminished a great deal. On long rides, I wear a pair of Dainese Lady Star boots - they are full leather, calf-high, and have Gore-Tex which keeps my feet very comfy. I can ride with my foot in front of the fan and only barely feel the heat that sometimes radiates up my pant leg (when I'm not wearing riding pants).
    I honestly don't believe there's an issue with the heat, but rather an issue with the lack of proper riding gear.

zrc

My calves get hot when I wear my speedo and ride, I suppose I could wear boots with my speedo...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    My calves get hot when I wear my speedo and ride, I suppose I could wear boots with my speedo...

Exactly!! Now you're gettin' it!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Fashion Emergency!
    Never wear boots with a speedo. Flip Flops would work so much better, but then you get all that heat??????????????????????????

Spyder Garage

Default Been working on this

There are times when I can feel the heat through my boot. Generally when the ambient temp reaches 105 plus. Then, what I've noticed most is heat coming from the lower port. I've made a couple of moc ups that will help move the air a couple inches out from the right peg. Once I'm satisfied with a design I'll have it reproduced in smoke or black plastic. Lots of ways to secure it, so don't see that as a problem.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

No heat issues up here in Alaska. You folks must be living in the wrong place.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i just threw up in mouth...
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

The key issue is that we have ETOH in our gas, catalytic converters, and engines running so lean, that water cooling hardly suffices. Look at the new Hardleys - especially the TriGlide - first order of business is to remove the cats, change the intake and exhaust, and remap the injection system - just to cool it down.

This really isn't about internal combustion, as much as reaching the limits of technology to deal with regulations.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

SPEEDOS That's a mental picture I could have done without!!!
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post

I don't get how everyone is so dumbfounded by the heat. Not to be rude, but those who complain must not have ever ridden a 2-wheeler. All engines get hot, the heat has to go somewhere, and you're essentially riding on top of a semi-exposed engine. I've chimed in on another post about this somewhere and my response was, and still is, if you where the proper riding gear the heat is diminished a great deal. On long rides, I wear a pair of Dainese Lady Star boots - they are full leather, calf-high, and have Gore-Tex which keeps my feet very comfy. I can ride with my foot in front of the fan and only barely feel the heat that sometimes radiates up my pant leg (when I'm not wearing riding pants).
    I honestly don't believe there's an issue with the heat, but rather an issue with the lack of proper riding gear.
    So let me get this straight. What your saying is, riding the Spyder nude is not recommended?
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    So let me get this straight. What your saying is, riding the Spyder nude is not recommended?
    For men, yes you are correct.
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Spyder Garage

If you have a GS/RS taking off the Left and right underneath panel behind the engine helps a Lot!
    Don, t know if they are the same on the RT.
    In CT if its over 85 degrees I,m riding any vehicle besides the Spyder Below
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I didn't have a heat issue with my Goldwing GL1800.

The fans would periodically come on at a stoplight, but the heat was blown out to the side ... not onto the rider.

Engineering 101.

- Bob

2014 Spyder Ltd. Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Every year, for the past 4 years, about this time there is thread after thread about heat issues. First. it was on the GS, then the RS and now for the past 2 years, on the RT. Heck Spyderpops has made a living dealing with this problem. What I don't understand, is why doesn't BRP solve this problem? Why do they continue to put out a product that they know has this issue
    What heat!!!!! Over here in AZ. we don't notice whats coming off the engine.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    SPEEDOS That's a mental picture I could have done without!!!
    So now I've got to poke out my mind's eye...AGAIN!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    No heat issues up here in Alaska. You folks must be living in the wrong place.
    True... But our mosquitoes aren't three inches... BETWEEN THEIR EYEBALLS!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post

This seems to be an issue that will never go away. In California in the part of I-8 that is around El Centro, the summer heat can get as high as 118, maybe more on any given summer day. That's a bit warm and a bit hard to ride in, but there are ways to get by. I don't have any "special" gear to ride with...just jeans, Corcoran 1944 boots, under shirt with a coarse white or very light-colored cotton shirt. I do not have, have never had and will never install riding pegs. The vent on the right side of the Spyder is designed to blow the heat away from the rider's legs. If you put you leg, foot, or whatever in front of the vent it WILL get hot. In almost 50 years of riding I have accepted the fact that engines that use gasoline to operate will get hot. They are designed that way and either we accept that or ride bicycles, horses, roller skates, cars, etc.
    Last edited by Dudley; 06-15-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default spyder heat is mild

lots of folks here have no previous m c experience, so the spyder's heat output seems extreme. those of us that came from the two wheel m c world know what real heat feels like. imagine sitting on a heavyweight, air cooled bike, stuck in traffic, on a 90 plus degree day. THAT is hot. you have to realize our engines are inside a plastic shell, and as it's been said previously, the heat has to go somewhere. be happy it's your foot and not your face. take those splashpans off, it makes a big difference.
    it was fun while it lasted.