Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Fog Light Install

I just got a 2012 RT / AC without the fog lights. I'd like to purchase a set of OEM fog lights, but I'm not sure about the install process. Is there any place I can read the install instructions before I purchase so I can see when I'm getting into? thanks

Spyder Garage

Don't know how much different from the RSS , but I installed a pair .

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...og-lamp-on-RSS

Lamont did a thread on the install for his RS

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...amonster-style
    Last edited by Dwanton; 06-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

I have the same model and I installed them my self. The instructions say to remove the front trunk. I thought are you kidding me, I will never remember where all the push pins go. I did not remove the entire front, I just removed one side at a time. I hope your hands are not too big. The front nut encased in plastic that slides in special slots was kinda hard to get to but the other 3 were not too bad. After removing all the screws and push pins that hold on one side, the side is not off, nose is one piece, but the side is loose. Next remove the black inserts, hanext find the slots to see where the nuts go. Slide them in, now those lights are heavy, start the screws, you may try and have the nuts and bolts aready started on the lights. On mine the proper alignment was pushed in all the way. wiring is a snap, the connection is visible with all the plastic off. Slide the side up and over the fog light and try and remember where all the push pins and screws went.

Repeat for other side.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

By them from the dealer at a discount of coarse and have them install for you . Ask them to do it during your first oil change and they might only charge you an hours labor .

Doesnt hurt to ask .

I don't mind doing stuff myself , actually like taking things apart and saying I did it myself .
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

This is a little off topic, but still fog light related. How do you aim the fog lights? I know how to do the headlights, but I can't find any adjustments for the fog lights on my RT.

I'm getting ready to install my elka shocks. The dealer should be getting them anyday now. I've read that the elkas raise the front of the RT a bit. If the spyder is higher in the front, I know I'll have to adjust the lights.

Spyder Garage

I don't believe there is an adjustment for the fog lights.

2008 hayabusa

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup; no adjustment...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    I don't believe there is an adjustment for the fog lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup; no adjustment...
    Dang, that is a stupid design. This is the first time I've encountered vehicle lights with no adjustments to aim the lights in the correct direction. Oh well, one less thing to tweak.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now I do think I saw somewhere that the European models did have an adjustment...
    "Gray Market" parts anyone??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Now I do think I saw somewhere that the European models did have an adjustment...
    "Gray Market" parts anyone??
    The Euro lights in that location are actually the low beams. Different light assembly.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I was actually looking for the actual directions if I can find them. I'm a very visual learner and if I could see them then I'd know what I'm in for before I buy. BTW--anyone have a good source to purchase the stock fogs for an RT?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

EBay is almost always worth a peek...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you go to the dealer and they have them in stock ask them if they will make a copy of the directions for you. I do not think you will find them on the internet.I installed them myself and it was not a problem. Once you put the spyder on blocks you can use the left to lift the frunk off the tabs. There is only 4 bolts on the bottom a couple of screws on top plus your elec. disconnects. It first looks complacated but it really is not that hard. Good luck....

Spyder Garage

so here's the questions--other than looks (and I DO like the looks of the RT with the fogs), are they really much better than just the regular lights for shinning up the road?

Spyder Garage

A friend of mine wants me to install fog lights on a 2012 RT I have only worked on RS's. Is there much of a difference? Also I read somewhere that on newer RT models the fog light "ON" setting has to be switched "ON" in the ECU by using B.U.D.S is this true? Meaning after the do it your self install you still have to go to the dealer to have that setting be switched "ON". And if your running stock headlights and stock fog light is there a need for the $100 cable that connects the two or is that just for H.I.D. head lights to regular fog lights?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Two Bros Duel Carbon Fiber Exhaust, Evo Sway Bar, Carbon Fiber Sport Screen, Mono Seat Cowl, H.I.D. Headlights, Missing Arm Dam & Belt Guard, MMG 29 Tooth Front Sprocket, Power Commander V with LCD and Wide Band 2 Auto Tuner, NGK Iridium Plugs, 17" After Market Wheels with Yokohama S.drive Tires with Custom 5 lug Adapters, Scorpio Alarm, Kewl Metal Performance Air Filter with MMG cold air intake, Swing Arm Tag Plate, No Fenders at ALL!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Bump....looking for any info on this install hoping to.do it in a day or two

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Two Bros Duel Carbon Fiber Exhaust, Evo Sway Bar, Carbon Fiber Sport Screen, Mono Seat Cowl, H.I.D. Headlights, Missing Arm Dam & Belt Guard, MMG 29 Tooth Front Sprocket, Power Commander V with LCD and Wide Band 2 Auto Tuner, NGK Iridium Plugs, 17" After Market Wheels with Yokohama S.drive Tires with Custom 5 lug Adapters, Scorpio Alarm, Kewl Metal Performance Air Filter with MMG cold air intake, Swing Arm Tag Plate, No Fenders at ALL!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I just finished installing the OEM fog lights onto my 2012 RT-AC. Install went well, I took my time especially removing the frunk. After everything was installed, the fog lights work great. No reprogramming of the BUDS was necessary. Truly plug 'n play. I also used this time to install the 12v outlet in the front. As long as I had everything apart, I did both jobs at once. Now I have a spot to plug in my GPS.

Spyder Garage

Did the same install, yep blue on all the time, the other switches are lit all the time also, just not blue.

2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd7 View Post
    I just finished installing the OEM fog lights onto my 2012 RT-AC. Install went well, I took my time especially removing the frunk. After everything was installed, the fog lights work great. No reprogramming of the BUDS was necessary. Truly plug 'n play. I also used this time to install the 12v outlet in the front. As long as I had everything apart, I did both jobs at once. Now I have a spot to plug in my GPS.

Make sure the 12volt plug for the GPS does not have a little circuit board in it. If it does there will be a small drain on your battery even if the gps is not plugged in.

2008 hayabusa

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd7 View Post
    I just finished installing the OEM fog lights onto my 2012 RT-AC. Install went well, I took my time especially removing the frunk. After everything was installed, the fog lights work great.
    Glad to hear that there were no issues involved in getting the work done!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
    This is a little off topic, but still fog light related. How do you aim the fog lights? I know how to do the headlights, but I can't find any adjustments for the fog lights on my RT.

I'm getting ready to install my elka shocks. The dealer should be getting them anyday now. I've read that the elkas raise the front of the RT a bit. If the spyder is higher in the front, I know I'll have to adjust the lights.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...light=Sinkhole
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    Make sure the 12volt plug for the GPS does not have a little circuit board in it. If it does there will be a small drain on your battery even if the gps is not plugged in.
    I used the OEM 12v plug for the frunk and a Garmin GPS--I'm assuming that everything will be OK?