Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RT Exhaust Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default RT Exhaust Wrap

Has anyone wrapped their RTs exhaust?? I figure this would alleviate some front seat heat, cooler fuel, etc. My main concern is that you can't wrap the cat and wrapping the header pipes will increase the exhaust heat going into the cat which is hot enough already. Opinions? Has anyone dumped the cat on an RT?

Spyder Garage

Default RT heat

Just got the heat diverter from spyder pops in the mail will let ya know how it works out!
    HM1 Nathaniel V. Mitchell, USN, CC-NREMT-P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Has anyone wrapped their RTs exhaust?? I figure this would alleviate some front seat heat, cooler fuel, etc. My main concern is that you can't wrap the cat and wrapping the header pipes will increase the exhaust heat going into the cat which is hot enough already. Opinions? Has anyone dumped the cat on an RT?
    I wrapped my RS and it made a big difference. No reason it wouldn't do the same on an RT. My opinion is it's well worth it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nyfdtsdemt View Post
    Just got the heat diverter from spyder pops in the mail will let ya know how it works out!
    Please do let us know if this is another Spyderpops "Gottahave"... Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Dumped Cat

I have just had the Cat removed from my RT and replaced it with a really nice looking stainless Y pipe that was custom made. It was done by my dealer and the mechanic is a real craftsman. I am considering wrapping it but will wait and try it without. The sound is fantastic with the Cat gone, has some real attitude now but not super loud. I have left the standard muffler on as I think that the shape of it suits the bike. The standard muffler doesn't seem at all restrictive with the cat off, I think most of the restriction is in the cat. The weight of the cat is like a concrete block, unbelievable. The engine is much more responsive but I need to wait for a nice day to try it on the road (winter down here in New Zealand). It was only finished yesterday but I am excited by how I think it is going to go. The good thing is that the 02 censor is before the cat so no problems there. I also replaced the air cleaner element with a Green high performance filter. The engine note changed with that alone, started to breathe much better. That is it for my engine mods for the moment. I think cat gone and air cleaner is going to make a big difference. Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dgnspyder View Post
    I have just had the Cat removed from my RT and replaced it with a really nice looking stainless Y pipe that was custom made. It was done by my dealer and the mechanic is a real craftsman. I am considering wrapping it but will wait and try it without. The sound is fantastic with the Cat gone, has some real attitude now but not super loud. I have left the standard muffler on as I think that the shape of it suits the bike. The standard muffler doesn't seem at all restrictive with the cat off, I think most of the restriction is in the cat. The weight of the cat is like a concrete block, unbelievable. The engine is much more responsive but I need to wait for a nice day to try it on the road (winter down here in New Zealand). It was only finished yesterday but I am excited by how I think it is going to go. The good thing is that the 02 censor is before the cat so no problems there. I also replaced the air cleaner element with a Green high performance filter. The engine note changed with that alone, started to breathe much better. That is it for my engine mods for the moment. I think cat gone and air cleaner is going to make a big difference. Cheers.
    Keep us updated on how things work without the Cat...wouldn't want to trade the Cat for a Dog...this sounds like the right way to go..thx

Spyder Garage

you may need to add a Power Commander with the autotune to get the fuel up due to more air out of the engine (meaning more air into the engine) ... I forget who else removed his CAT installed aftermarket exhaust and had fuel issues too lean at top end until he added PC and the Auto tune option.

FYI ....

2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default LAVA WRAP

I have wrapped my exhaust pipes on my RT-S (2011) and it has greatly reduced the heat build up underneath the plastic cowling. In the passed the spyder was extremely hot while driving in city traffic. With the exhaust wrap the spyder runs hot but not like before.

Also if you notice the exhaust pipe on the left side of the roadster runs just along and underneath the gas tank. I believe in the passed with the extreme heat my fuel was boiling when nearing 1/4 tank. With the exhaust pipes wrapped it keeps the heat away from the fuel tank and has improved my gas millage. So far I have put on 5000km with the exhaust wrap and see no negative effects.

I used lave wrap, found product on the net (just google it). You will need patience with this project very tight spots on the spyder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default RT Exhaust

Keep us updated on how things work without the Cat...wouldn't want to trade the Cat for a Dog...this sounds like the right way to go..thx
    Hi Flybuddy, I had my bike out at the weekend. The engine is definitely more responsive, no doubt about that. It has more power but hard to say how much without running it on a dyno. It also sounds a lot better, deeper throatier and louder, but not loud loud if you know what I mean. Someone in this discussion mentioned that it may need a power commander fitted. It doesn't need it, but that is not to say that it may improve the performance some more with one fitted. I simply don't know as I haven't tried one. My dealer is pretty experienced with Spyders and he made the comment that the electronics on the Spyder are very sophisticated and that the ECU will adjust for about 20% variance in fuel and air. It would take significant engine mods to step outside of that. His comments not mine. I did the ECU reset procedure before I rode it. I see that there is another thread just started on the Cat removal and there are some very opposing opinions on that. On my bike removing the cat and fitting the high performance air filter has made a big difference. I am very happy with the outcome, big smile after my ride yesterday. It seems in the US you have laws about the Cat, but you will know more about that. When it comes to either removing the Cat or fitting an after market slip on exhaust, my preference is to remove the Cat. As an aside, I run 98 octane fuel which is the best we can get here. I hope that helps you in your thinking. Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Thx for the replies---nothing like first hand knowledge!!

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Removal - New Zealand

Interesting ... Noting the author is in New Zealand. I just participated in a thread where someone here in the USA wanted to remove his catalytic converter. With our emissions laws in most of the USA, I don't think you'd find a dealer mech willing or authorized to do it; let alone having the Spyder ever able to pass a state inspection. Nevertheless, it'd be interesting to hear about your Kilometers per Liter (which we'll translate to miles per gallon).

Update: 98 Octane?!?!?! Woooow!!!!

Best,

~ Surfer
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 06-18-2012 at 06:40 AM.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

On my 2010 RT-S, I removed all of the exhaust components, including the cat converter and had them ceramic coated and reinstalled. I also had the muffler ceramic coated because I didn't like the funky flat finish on it. Did all this over 1-1/2 years ago and have noticed no ill effects, deeper exhaust tone and somewhat reduced heat under tupperware. Hope this provides some usefull information.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just picked some 2" wrap up over the weekend and am going to give this a shot on my RS. I also picked up some of the "silicone spray" which seems like everyone is saying it's nothing more than high heat paint..... Anyone use any sprays on the wrap afterwards?

Also, 98 overseas is like our 90 here in the states. Different ratings.

Spyder Garage

Default Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I just picked some 2" wrap up over the weekend and am going to give this a shot on my RS. I also picked up some of the "silicone spray" which seems like everyone is saying it's nothing more than high heat paint..... Anyone use any sprays on the wrap afterwards?

Also, 98 overseas is like our 90 here in the states. Different ratings.
    Interesting comment about the octane ratings. Your US gallon is even different from our imperial gallon, but we use litres here. So the coversion from litres to the US gallon is different again. Cheers

Spyder Garage

Interesting comment about the octane ratings. Your US gallon is even different from our imperial gallon, but we use litres here. So the coversion from litres to the US gallon is different again. Cheers
    "Two Nations Separated by a Common Language."

~ Winston Churchill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wrap

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I have wrapped my exhaust pipes on my RT-S (2011) and it has greatly reduced the heat build up underneath the plastic cowling. In the passed the spyder was extremely hot while driving in city traffic. With the exhaust wrap the spyder runs hot but not like before.

Also if you notice the exhaust pipe on the left side of the roadster runs just along and underneath the gas tank. I believe in the passed with the extreme heat my fuel was boiling when nearing 1/4 tank. With the exhaust pipes wrapped it keeps the heat away from the fuel tank and has improved my gas millage. So far I have put on 5000km with the exhaust wrap and see no negative effects.

I used lave wrap, found product on the net (just google it). You will need patience with this project very tight spots on the spyder.
    Just wondering if you removed the pipe to do the wrap or did you do it while it was on the bike?

Spyder Garage

A member suggested this:
    http://www.amazon.com/HeatShield-176...st+heat+shield

You will need extra stainless ties but a decent auto parts carries those. I did trim it back from the 1 foot width so had some waste. You can probably get away with the 1/4 inch thick product that is 6 inches wide. I also trimmed back about an inch of the ceramic fiber side to create some overlap and a clean finish.

Spyder Garage

Took both pipes and the cat to Jet-Hot in Oklahoma City. Pipes are coated inside and out. Cat outside only. Still gets warm, understandably so, but I haven't had any reason since to give the fuel the ear test to hear if it's bubbling in the tank. Also use real fuel which I understand has a higher boiling point than that other stuff some are forced to buy.
    Last edited by 2 Cruysyn; 07-19-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is there any reason not to put heat shielding around the gas tank, when wrapping the pipes? If no, what's the best product?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nyfdtsdemt View Post

Which diverter are you referring to?

Daryl A Rausch
    Fire Chief & Emergency Management Director
    Monroe, Wisconsin
    "Cheese City"

"It ain't easy being Cheesey"

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I just finished wrapping the left side exhaust from the CAT clamp up to about 2 inches past the oxygen sensor. I couldn't see or reach any farther. Moved around to the right side and came to a halt. How in the do you wrap in front of the gas tank? There is no way I can get my hands in there to wrap it. I put the Tupperware back on and will try another day...........maybe.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post

I just finished wrapping the left side exhaust from the CAT clamp up to about 2 inches past the oxygen sensor. I couldn't see or reach any farther. Moved around to the right side and came to a halt. How in the do you wrap in front of the gas tank? There is no way I can get my hands in there to wrap it. I put the Tupperware back on and will try another day...........maybe.
    I feel your pain. Exactly where I stopped. Took two days to realize it wasn't going to be a three hour job, changed plans and got super flexible wrapping not requiring the sealant spray, messed two days with that and finally gave up. I still think it's doable, but not in a super hot garage with humidity. It's just too miserable. Will try again sometime between fall and spring.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Default Jet Hot?

Has anyone tried the Jet Hot coating on the exhaust pipes? If so what were the results?

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 20Limited12 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Jet Hot coating on the exhaust pipes? If so what were the results?

J. D.
    All kinds of good reviews on Jet Hot. Never seen anything to the negative.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Default Jet Hot?

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Cruysyn View Post
    Took both pipes and the cat to Jet-Hot in Oklahoma City. Pipes are coated inside and out. Cat outside only. Still gets warm, understandably so, but I haven't had any reason since to give the fuel the ear test to hear if it's bubbling in the tank. Also use real fuel which I understand has a higher boiling point than that other stuff some are forced to buy.

Did you have the right "hot foot" problem before coating, and did it help any with that? I noticed you are in OK where it's warm this time of year.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights