Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My first "limp mode" experience....

And I didn't much care for it... I was doing 55-60 down a straight road and out of nowhere I get the orange "limp mode" screen and lose power to 40 miles an hour. I immediately put on my flashers and waited for a safe place to pull over. The screen then started flashing "check DPS." I had to get to the other side of an intersection to pull over and had almost no power at all at that point. Pulled over, shut down the bike, waited 2 or 3 minutes, restarted and drove 1-1/2 home with no problems whatsoever. I only had 1047 miles on my bike when this occurred and I got my 600 mile service at 571 miles. Now I need to investigate that error in my manual. Aside from that it was a very nice 200+ mile day

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph2288 View Post
    And I didn't much care for it... I was doing 55-60 down a straight road and out of nowhere I get the orange "limp mode" screen and lose power to 40 miles an hour. I immediately put on my flashers and waited for a safe place to pull over. The screen then started flashing "check DPS." I had to get to the other side of an intersection to pull over and had almost no power at all at that point. Pulled over, shut down the bike, waited 2 or 3 minutes, restarted and drove 1-1/2 home with no problems whatsoever. I only had 1047 miles on my bike when this occurred and I got my 600 mile service at 571 miles. Now I need to investigate that error in my manual. Aside from that it was a very nice 200+ mile day
    I could have posted the identical information today almost to the word except for distances. I quickly discovered after limping to my dealer on Saturday that if you just touch the brake and don't give it some pressure, you're gonna get a limp mode. I had habit on Harley of keeping my foot touching or very near brake in busy traffic conditions or coming up to a stop. Can't do that with Spyder. 340 miles later I have learned. smoky

Spyder Garage

As was said, riding the brake lightly is the most common cause of this failure. Your dealer can look at the occurred codes through BUDS to verify that. If you get repeated Limp Modes but are very sure you weren't touching the brake pedal, see your dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're actually all hoping that it's just this simple too! Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm a potential spyder buyer, but seeing threads like this cause me to re-think, which is why I have been hesitant to purchase one...

Why is this an acceptable issue? If you accidentally touched the brakes in your car and your vehicle decided it was just going to shut down, folks would be looking to hang someone...so why does nobody seem to care about things like this? To me its completely unacceptable, I dont care if you ride your brakes or accidentally touch the brake, under no circumstance is this a legitimate reason for the bike to cease all power

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hayesb2 View Post
    I'm a potential spyder buyer, but seeing threads like this cause me to re-think, which is why I have been hesitant to purchase one...

Why is this an acceptable issue? If you accidentally touched the brakes in your car and your vehicle decided it was just going to shut down, folks would be looking to hang someone...so why does nobody seem to care about things like this? To me its completely unacceptable, I dont care if you ride your brakes or accidentally touch the brake, under no circumstance is this a legitimate reason for the bike to cease all power
    It isn't a matter of accidentally touching the brake, it is a matter of riding the pedal contiuously without enough pressure to actually apply the brakes. It is easy to train yourself not to do it. There are many things a rider must learn to do to operate a vehicle safely, and this is just one of them. It takes a certain amount of skill and technique to ride any motorcycle.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It isn't a matter of accidentally touching the brake, it is a matter of riding the pedal contiuously without enough pressure to actually apply the brakes. It is easy to train yourself not to do it. There are many things a rider must learn to do to operate a vehicle safely, and this is just one of them. It takes a certain amount of skill and technique to ride any motorcycle.
    Exactly. This is a rider issue not a Spyder issue. There are Many of us with trouble free miles. So I wonder if reading this post will alleviate the concerns of potential buyers who may base their decision on forum posts??

Spyder Garage

But in a car you don't put a foot on the gas and a foot on the brake and press at the same time. From a programming standpoint I can see that if the trottle is open but the breaks are pressed the machine thinks something major is wrong.

I now have 2,400 miles on my RT, never had an error or an issue.
    Most people neglect to mention all the good and most people seek out the forum to find out about problems, so it's always one sided when you read them.

And as many have mentioned dealer prep is key for these machines.

I hope you have as great an experience as I'm having.

Romney & Boyd

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm a potential spyder buyer, but seeing threads like this cause me to re-think, which is why I have been hesitant to purchase one...Why is this an acceptable issue? If you accidentally touched the brakes in your car and your vehicle decided it was just going to shut down, folks would be looking to hang someone...so why does nobody seem to care about things like this? To me its completely unacceptable, I dont care if you ride your brakes or accidentally touch the brake, under no circumstance is this a legitimate reason for the bike to cease all power
    I agree...the car guyz wouldnt get away with this. Have the computer signal a brake warning light or something.Clay

Spyder Garage

Simple solution here--don't ride the brake pedal and you wont have the problem. Even I did it once.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have done the limp mode for brakes. It is not a big thing as others have said.
    I had about ten K on a GS/RS with no real problems, 15 K on my 2010 RT with no problems, except for smiling a lot. Great machine.
    IMHO, a Spyder can not be beat for a three machine. I tell lots of people the same thing.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I have over 500,000 miles of riding motorcycles over the years. All were street bikes. Some had foot pegs, some floor boards. Never have I ever ridden with my foot over the brake pedal. I have never failed to stop on time for any reason except two, and that was because I was looking to the side and had a small "whamo" both times. I now have a total of 65,000 miles of Spyder experience...never a limp mode because of brakes...only the Throttle Body issue. I have a small foot, size 9, ride with boots and long pants (jeans). The Spyder is an awesome machine with a lot of super technology. If anyone upsets the balance of the computer, it will send a signal. That signal is meant to alert you to possible danger and maybe even save your life.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

BRP in my opinion should rethink the use of the "Limp Mode" on the Spyder. The technology is fine on their ATV line-up but on a road capable vehicle that is surrounded by other vehicles not so sure it is the best idea?

However I think the OP said the bike went from 55-60 to 40 thats not quite "cease all power"?
    2011 RTS SM5