Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default check engine light on but the kill switch hit while running it clears

I was down the the bottom of the oil stick and needed to change the oil was flying around on the memorial day ride thinking I finally got all the bugs out of the death machine. When to work all night saving the world from idiots and a few humans. come back down and there is a check engine light, turn the key on and off three times and it clears, sound exactly the same as usual, drive home check oil, the same bottom of the stick, I still have a small oil leak I can't find so i get up, change the oil and filter put oil in it.

Run it , has a oil and check engine light shut it off turn it on no light. \

The check engine light comes on right at the end of the start up , right before you can hit the m button and start it. No limp mode no nothing, rides and sound the same. now if I shut it off WITH the kill switch, the engine abruptly stops with a pingish sound, the engine light goes off and you start it, then its not there sounds and runs normally.

It did not have any codes when i was driving like me on monday and did not sound any different, I it a little rain but its been inside for the rest of the time.

I charged the battery thinking it was low and the oil is full, what the hell is it? I was going to try to adjust the trims on the power commander 5 to see if the summer weather, (it was 33 here again this am) but is nice now .

Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine Light Problem

My 2008 had the same problem, check engine light comes on at start up. If you turn the key off and back on and start up again the light would not be on. The problem was the Oil Presure Sensor, right side, low on the engine. The dealer would not cover this on my BRP extended waranty, said the repair was less than the $50.00 deductable so warranty doesnt cover. Its a $12.00 part and would be very easy to do yourself, leave the dealer out of it and do yourself. I was not happy with this repair at Flamingo Motor Sports, Palmer, MA, warranty should have covered it.

Spyder Garage

Default So Far So Good

Queen B's '08 was showing check engine light about every other start up. Since it has recently turned 12,000 miles I decided it was time to change spark plugs and opted for new wires from Bajaron also. So far after plug and wire change have had no check engine light and less deceleration backfiring.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dschaub View Post
    My 2008 had the same problem, check engine light comes on at start up. If you turn the key off and back on and start up again the light would not be on. The problem was the Oil Presure Sensor, right side, low on the engine. The dealer would not cover this on my BRP extended waranty, said the repair was less than the $50.00 deductable so warranty doesnt cover. Its a $12.00 part and would be very easy to do yourself, leave the dealer out of it and do yourself. I was not happy with this repair at Flamingo Motor Sports, Palmer, MA, warranty should have covered it.

winner, winner chicken dinner. that is what it was and it was the pipe I made into a gasket did not hold up to Seth's mild use. So it was throwing a 02 senor check engine light because it was way too lean.

Still got a leak but F it, its Durango time.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default same engine message

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    winner, winner chicken dinner. that is what it was and it was the pipe I made into a gasket did not hold up to Seth's mild use. So it was throwing a 02 senor check engine light because it was way too lean.

Still got a leak but F it, its Durango time.
    We have only a little over 6000 miles and over the weekend with the heat the check engine message came on when we started up but if we shut it off and turned it back on the message was gone. Runs great. What do we need to do now Seth? How did you fix it? Do we need to take it in? When we changed the oil the last time honda house sold us a gasket but it didn't fit. Would new gasket help?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderlady50 View Post
    We have only a little over 6000 miles and over the weekend with the heat the check engine message came on when we started up but if we shut it off and turned it back on the message was gone. Runs great. What do we need to do now Seth? How did you fix it? Do we need to take it in? When we changed the oil the last time honda house sold us a gasket but it didn't fit. Would new gasket help?
    If you're riding Spyder RS, more than sure you need a new oil sensor quick 15 minutes for the mechanic.