Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Default DIY hand brake.

I'm a right leg amputee in Oz. The ISCI brake seemed ideal, but the cost, plus shipping and taxes when it lands made me go another route.

For several years I ran a pedal on the left side of my '08 GS SE5, linked to the standard brake with a rod across the frame. There are photos on this forum.

Describing the problem to a friend who is a retired fitter and turner, he decided to build up a hydraulic system similar in principle to the ISCI.

A Kawasaki master cylinder is on the right handlebar, a sleeved down (14 mm, I think) clutch slave cylinder is mounted behind the original brake master cylinder, and a custom clevis joins the two.

The system vaguely follow this post by NEXUS, with modifications to use a smaller diameter master cylinder.

A quick search of the forum turned up several variations on the theme.

Good luck.

Pogo.
    Last edited by Pogo; 10-17-2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added links to other posts

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI Hand Brake

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    A site sponsor ISCI makes a very good handbrake. If you go to the home page there is a link to their website. Good Luck
    Recently I stopped by the ISCI operation in Montgomery, AL. ISCI is a substantial facility that makes custom parts for many industries including certain accessories for the Spyder. I have the hand brake and I am not physically challenged. I purchased it because years of experience on two wheelers have conditioned me to hand brakes. I found that on the RT, it took extra time to actuate the foot brake and I felt that the ISCI brake would shorten the time for brake actuation.

The ISCI product simply actuates the existing Can Am brake system that is already a highly effective design. The foot brake remains fully operational and the installation of the ISCI product does not interfere with or modify the Can Am system.

The quality of the ISCI product is stunning as it is hand assembled and welded by highly competent engineers and technicians who are bikers also. They are a very accommodating group and I could not say enough good about them.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default reason for hand lever

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    For the average rider, however, especially a novice, they are a distraction and could even be considered a liability. I don't see any need for them to be standard equipment
    So a few years back, I am cranking through a curve on my 650 ninja. I ride with all controls covered. A deer comes like a bat outta hell from my right and I squeeze the brakes. She passed so close to my front tire that I couldn't see her legs below the knee. If I had to move my hands to grab the brakes, I would have hit her. On my stl, I can't keep my foot on the brake lever. If I had been on my spyder, I would have hit her. I think hand controls are a great idea.