Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEER!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DEER!!!!

Our Spyder went to the shop this morning on a wrecker. I hit a deer at about 5:00am this morning on the way to work. I had the cruise set on 55mph......I didn't even have time to tap the brake to shut it off. She came out of nowhere and in an instant, I hit her. I'm sore but ok, the Spyder.....don't think it will be a total...
    I think about what would have happened if I would have been on 2 wheels. The weight and stability of the spyder had to have played a big part in me being able to walk away from this...

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ouch that had to hurt badly,good to hear that the spyder isn't totaled hope all works out and your up and riding soon,praying for you for fast recovery. hey did you have a bumpskid on the front end kinda wondering if it held up?.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are ok. The Spyder can be fixed or replaced. Be well

AC

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Question Oh My Gosh * Sorry this happened to you but glad you WERE on a Spyder to live n tell

If you wouldn't mind, can you give us some more details, like which side or front got hit, what was damaged, were you thrown from the byke or stayed on, what part of you if any got hit and or hurt, did the dear live etc etc etc......

This is a fear many of us have & its good to know what happened in similar situations if it were to ever happen to us. That, & I'm just nosey. Really glad that you are ok for the most part & agree, if you were on a two wheeler, well, I won't go there, just glad your ok

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're okay and that's what matters the most! Anything else can be handled by some time and insurance money... Please keep us in the loop as far as how the repairs proceed and Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow that has been a fear of mine. One of the roads I take to work has deer crossing all the time. I hope you have a speedy recovery and repair, glad you are OK.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default SIMILAR EXPERIENCE ON 2 WHEELS!!

Quote Originally Posted by smartin436 View Post
    Our Spyder went to the shop this morning on a wrecker. I hit a deer at about 5:00am this morning on the way to work. I had the cruise set on 55mph......I didn't even have time to tap the brake to shut it off. She came out of nowhere and in an instant, I hit her. I'm sore but ok, the Spyder.....don't think it will be a total...
    I think about what would have happened if I would have been on 2 wheels. The weight and stability of the spyder had to have played a big part in me being able to walk away from this...
    I think you're right about the Spyders weight and its 3 wheel stance. They likely saved you a much worse outcome. I (almost) hit a deer, on a two wheeler, four years ago. He stepped right out in front of me on a downhill, right hand curve at 65 MPH. Being on only 2 wheels, and not having ABS, my avoidance reaction resulted in my being thrown to the pavement, and skidding down the road on my back. Got a "free" ride in a Life Flight chopper, and woke up in the hospital with 2 broken fingers, 7 broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and a fairly severe concussion. My protective riding gear, including the helmet, was pretty well shredded, and the Burgman was totalled. Three months later I was back on 2 wheels, but it didn't take me long to tecognize the error on that decision. That was the second time I had had a serious deer encounter on that stretch of road (Rt 12 / Lolo Pass / Montana). Needless to say, I'm on THREE wheels today, but I still take that road. Did I mention that I was 75 when that happened?
    Ride Safe,
    CapNCrunch

Spyder Garage

Glad your ok!! The spyder can be fixed or replaced....How did the deer make out?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Glad that you are alright.
    I have had to dodge them on two wheels and it will really test your pucker factor

mtbear

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are okay. We were just having a discussion this morning about deer and moose and things like that.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Sheeeese!!!! Been there done that!!! But I got away with NO injuries to me or bike and the deer had 3 broken legs and a cop finally put it out of it's misery. Thank GOD your OK!!!

Spyder Garage

Very scarry indeed. Glad to hear that you came out of it well. Deer were a constant thought when driving in MN and WS. We don't have them in our part of AK but the moose are always out and about. At least they don't have that "deer demon" in them where they seem to pop out of nowhere and stop right in front of oncoming cars.

I had one close encounter with a moose here but came out of it okay. I was on two wheels though. No Spyder encounters yet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad your ok. Dang Bambies are quick.

Spyder Garage

Default hey capn

glad you lived to tell the story i'll bet that's some sweet rydin in montana
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you were not injured, spyders can be replaced.

Are you having vennison for dinner ?

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Sore or "Smartin" in a few places. Any pics?

Glad you're OK, Spyders can be replaced.

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK, hope the out come is favorable.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have many deer around here especially at night. They come out of nowhere. That's one of the reasons I switched from two wheels to three. Now at least I have a fighting chance should I meet one head on.

A while ago when I was at a Can Am dealer in Malone, NY I met a very nice elderly couple from Canada. They were looking to buy a new RT. Both of them had bruises and cuts so I asked what happened. Turns out they hit a bear. They said their RT saved their lives (it was totaled) so they were there to buy another to replace it. They left that day with a beautiful new RT-S.

Really glad you're ok. Hope you can get back on the road soon.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I once was on my HD FLH and stopped at a crossing and a mare and her colt did also. I honked my horn and the mare didn't like the sound. She reared up and kicked the shix of of my HD. I was lucky I didn't get the shix kicked out of me. About $2,000.00 of damages.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad you're OK. Was up at Leesburg a few weeks back and remembered this story:

Motorcyclist Killed By Deer 57 year-old Bruce Pelish, a Florida motorcycle rider, was killed when he hit a deer.
    Pelish was an avid motorcyclist and taught a motorcycle safety class. He regularly rode a Harley-Davidson. He was a member of a riding group called, “The Freedom Riders.”
    On a Saturday morning, a group of couples from the Freedom Riders was cruising northbound on State Road 19 in the Ocala National Forest. They were on their way to the annual Leesburg Bikefest in Lake County.
    During the ride, a deer leapt out in front of Pelish. He was propelled from his bike and killed.
    Robert and Lisa Gomez, who were also riding with the group, collided with Pelish’s motorcycle. They each suffered injuries and were taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center.
    All 3 were wearing helmets at the time of the accident.
    Pelish’s wife was riding on a different motorcycle, on which she followed her husband. She was uninjured. The couple owned a carpet installation business together and had two children, a son and a daughter.
    His 28 year-old daughter, Shannon, said, “he had never had an accident. And he loved to ride.”
    The family is currently making arrangements for a funeral.
    The deer did not survive the incident.

Spyder Garage

Sure glad you're okay. I know of at least 1/2 dozen Spyder/Deer accidents and every one of them only ended in minor injuries. This is a real testament to the safety of the Spyder compared to a two wheeler.

One of the biggest mistakes made is over avoidance when a deer darts out. You're better off hitting them dead on than swerving and causing a worse accident.... although in this accident-- as with one of my car/deer 'hunting' incidents --- the deer hit me--- crash happened before you could see it.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok. The road I travel to work has deer crossing as well. I only take the Spyder to work on Fridays and always look for deer anytime of the day.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Deer damagei

Ihit him solid with the left front wheel, I he came down the left side f the spyder, tore off the mirror and breaking all the plastic except the big piece above the foot pegs. I ha a set of Goldwing grip covers on my spyder and and he flew by he hit the left one and broke it off, pulling my hand around behind me. I had just set the cruise at 55mph, he came out so quick that I never had time to kick it off so I hit him solid at 55mph.

Left front fender, tire, most of the left side plastic, left headlight shattered,left mirror was torn off. Tire will need to be replaced, it got cut when fender got bent into it. The left wheel seems to be bent or possibly the a-arms, maybe frame, wheel is leaning in a little.
    . Busted my glowryder on that side and ripped off my Tricled fender light.

Not sure what other damage they will find after teardown. Shop says next week before they can get to it to start.
    . Istayed on it and got it stopped. The deer did spin me around on the seat a little but i held on.
    . I went back to where the wreck happened that afternoon and found the deer. Ihad apparently killed him instantly.
    . I'm ok. My first thoughts were that my rriding days were over. This really scarred the crap out of me. After the dust has settled some i really miss my Spyder. We have put 16000 miles on it since we bought it last August 20th. We ride alot and i just can't see walking away from something we love so much.
    . Repair time is going to be lengthy. I would say 2 to 3 months based on parts availability. I am concidering doing a trade for a new white limited.
    thanx for asking......

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    If you wouldn't mind, can you give us some more details, like which side or front got hit, what was damaged, were you thrown from the byke or stayed on, what part of you if any got hit and or hurt, did the dear live etc etc etc......

This is a fear many of us have & its good to know what happened in similar situations if it were to ever happen to us. That, & I'm just nosey. Really glad that you are ok for the most part & agree, if you were on a two wheeler, well, I won't go there, just glad your ok

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    You're better off hitting them dead on than swerving and causing a worse accident....
    Never swerve to avoid them! As horrible as that sounds; it's the best option that you have...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK...that's a big fear of mine...keep us posted.....