Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Mileage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Mileage

I took a 100 mile ride yesterday, the fuel guage showed just below half so I decided to fill up. My 2010 RSS took 3.7 gallons which is about 27 miles per gallon. Wondering what everyone else is getting. I have only had the bike for a week or so and this is the first time I checked the mileage. I was expecting somewhere in the 30's. I used 93 octane (etheyl) for you us old guys, most of the miles were highway crusing about 65mph, air temp was 80 degrees.

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Mileage

We have checked mileage on our RT several times. At speeds in the 65-75 range we get 25.7 to 28.5 mpgs. At speeds in the 55-60 mph have got as high as 36.5 mpg.
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How the right wrist is dancing with the loud grip affects everything in this game... 35 mpg here; but I shift early and ryde slow... (2010 RT)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

32' ish over the first 800+ miles, 2012 RT-L. Most of it was between 65 and 70 with some in town riding.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

According to Fuely I am getting 31.5 MPG on my 08 GS.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twrchf View Post
    I took a 100 mile ride yesterday, the fuel guage showed just below half so I decided to fill up. My 2010 RSS took 3.7 gallons which is about 27 miles per gallon. Wondering what everyone else is getting. I have only had the bike for a week or so and this is the first time I checked the mileage. I was expecting somewhere in the 30's. I used 93 octane (etheyl) for you us old guys, most of the miles were highway crusing about 65mph, air temp was 80 degrees.
    I would discount that 27 mpg figure, Mileage will get better after a few miles on the clock, Remember no matter what the specs say the Spyder only holes 6 usable gallons. Also as you go though a few tankfuls, You'll find it's hard to fill the tank with exactly the same amount each time. So that will mess with your figures.

Spyder Garage

This has been mentioned by Murphybrown in the past, I believe she has a point. I was getting 30-32, I installed the Bump Skid Plate, running premium non-Ethanol fuel I got 36MPG. I checked again Sunday, I purchased regular non-Ethanol fuel because they were out of 89 and 93 octane. I got 38.25 MPG... The dealership service manager told me to run regular non-Ethanol fuel because it got the best mileage. I couldn't believe it. I have 2200 miles on my Spyder, I did not notice any less performance on the regular fuel. Hummm, I am puzzled but I do believe the skid plate was the huge factor in the increase. There are more than one vendor that sells the plates so I am not trying to promote any specific business on this board. I am just stating facts with a
    'Bikeless'

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation GAS MILEAGE

Quote Originally Posted by twrchf View Post
    WE HAVE 08 RS AND WE GET AROUND 35 MILES ON A GALLON.WE USE 87 OCTANE AND RIDE WITH AN EYE TOWARD GETTING GOOD MILAGE.

Spyder Garage

I'm currently getting almost 26 MPG, but I've only got about 1,250 miles on my RT.

But I am getting the Skid Plate installed this weekend and I will see if it changes the gas mileage.

Romney & Boyd

Spyder Garage

Over the past 16 months and 15,000 miles, my RT has averaged about 28...some of that pulling a trailer. Nancy's GS has averaged about 29 over the last four years. Use of regular grade fuel in an RS may yield something slightly better. (Premium fuels have less heat capacity) Use of non-ethanol fuels will increase the mileage by about 15%-20% or more. Beyond that mileage varies from rider to rider, machine to machine, in different climates, with different local or seasonal fuel formulations, at different altitudes, and on different types of roads. The biggest variations are due to speed and the rider's agressiveness. I'd say what you are getting was about average for a new Spyder.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

A consistent 32 mpg....it never changes.
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Spyder Garage

I consistently get about 30-31 mpg with my 2010 RTS. Have 22,000 miles on it now. I don't drive fast or hard, and use 90 octane fuel--the highest available up here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have over 13,000 miles on my 2011 RT mostly highway miles, I get anywhere between 35 to 40 mpg on the highway I set cruise control at 60 and leave it there, using 93 oct and get 27 to 31 in the city. I also found that after my 12k maintance fuel mileage increased and rides great.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question 6 gallon of gass

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I would discount that 27 mpg figure, Mileage will get better after a few miles on the clock, Remember no matter what the specs say the Spyder only holes 6 usable gallons. Also as you go though a few tankfuls, You'll find it's hard to fill the tank with exactly the same amount each time. So that will mess with your figures.
    Why do you say 6 gallons, what happened to the other .6 gallons that they say it will hold?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MIKIE & DEE View Post
    Why do you say 6 gallons, what happened to the other .6 gallons that they say it will hold?
    It is unusable head space. Room for expansion is necessary in all tanks.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

New Stanton, PA (South Western Pennsylvania)
    Spyder Garage

WHOA WAIT A MINUTE!!!! I was told by the dealer to use 93 octane ...are you guys telling me that I can use 87 or even 89??? I am currently getting 33 mgh city and 38 mpg highway at 55-60 mph. Please advise, I would love to save some $$$ at the gas station!

Spyder Garage

I rode my one time until the needle on the gas gauge was way below the empty indicator. It was scarry because I did not want to run out of fuel.

I had 180 miles on the tripmeter. It took 5.8 gallons to fill. I do mine the same every time so it keeps my mileage numbers pretty close as far as how much gas added. (31 mpg) this time also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

All those numbers,,,,,,
    I was getting 23.2 mpg at 75 mph, too low for my taste

Spyder Garage

Default 87 or 91 octane

87 works fine for me. label by the fuel fill on my 2011 RTs states 87 octane minimum. After TB updates at spyderfest my mileage went up into the 33 range on 87 octane with 10% alcohol. I see no reason to pay for premium and non-alcohol gas is difficult to find around here.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MY .02

08 G/S old avg. on ethyl reg =37 mpg.....new avg. on ethyl reg =39 mpg but I now have the Green filter ...so this seems to make a difference......Mike

Spyder Garage

Chazman, if you can get nonethanol gas use it

arntufun

Everyone of you should consider yourselfs lucky. I get consistantly get less than the OP stated. I get 24 mpg.

Ask any NY Spyder Rider on our last trip.

93 octane
    02 mod
    HMF
    Evo air filter
    Last edited by arntufun; 05-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JaymeG33 View Post
    WHOA WAIT A MINUTE!!!! I was told by the dealer to use 93 octane ...are you guys telling me that I can use 87 or even 89??? I am currently getting 33 mgh city and 38 mpg highway at 55-60 mph. Please advise, I would love to save some $$$ at the gas station!
    The minimum and the recommended octane are listed in your owner's manual and on the emissions label under the seat. I'd use the recommended fuel listed. Use of the minimum grade can reduce performance...at least on the RT with certain fuel brands and in certain localities.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have put over 2k miles on my 2012 RS-S since I brought her home 3 weeks ago. I put 87 in my tank and use her to commute. I have been getting between 28 - 33 mpg. I get better mileage when I am not commuting, for obvious reasons. I was told by the dealer to use 87, now I am curious if I would get better gas mileage if I use a higher octane?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We average about 29 mpg...sometimes it throughs an odd increase to the 30's and makes me scratch my head?