Spyder Garage

Default Holy Loctite - Foot Pegs

Perhaps it wasn't loctite they used - cause it held like LIQUID NAILS. Just a mention to anyone who decides to go chrome, or for any other reason, needs to remove the drivers foot pegs.
    "PACK A LUNCH" *Cause tight does'nt cover how well they're glued on! I had to go for the BIG GUN breaker bar. It was so tight it stopped a 3/8 inch AIR ratchet, with 150 lbs of air - dead in it's tracks. Now..... THAT'S TIGHT!!!

OK, don't say you didn't know.

IMG_0160.jpg

A special thanks to Doc - Riverside!

Reader Tip: If you want your frame serial # to stand out - rub yellow tire marker over it and wipe away the excess.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-20-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Perhaps it wasn't loctite they used - cause it held like LIQUID NAILS. Just a mention to anyone who decides to go chrome, or for any other reason, needs to remove the drivers foot pegs.
    "PACK A LUNCH" *Cause tight does'nt cover how well they're glued on! I had to go for the BIG GUN breaker bar. It was so tight it stopped a 3/8 inch AIR ratchet, with 150 lbs of air - dead in it's tracks. Now..... THAT'S TIGHT!!!

OK, don't say you didn't know.

IMG_0160.jpg

A special thanks to Doc - Riverside!

Reader Tip: If you want your frame serial # to stand out - rub yellow tire marker over it and wipe away the excess.
    It's Loctite red. You need to take a torch and heat it up to about 500 to 600 deg. F. Then it will come off with hand wrenches.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Boom!!!!

Thanks Mike, guess I failed to mention where I was working. Right next to the fuel tank! and the Loctite they used for this app. is Yellow.

"LOCTITEŽ Product 085 Bearing Mount/Grade B is a medium viscosity, medium strength, general purpose anaerobic sealant, and is used to lock and seal nuts, bolts, and studs in a wide variety of applications where removal with ordinary hand tools is necessary. This product is also used for mounting bearings, bushings and other shaft related applications."
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-20-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

The yellow is not Loctite, it is ScotchGrip. It contains epoxy microcapsules. Many of the important Spyder fasteners use it. It comes pre-applied to the bolts and screws, and activates when torqued. It requires more torque than used to tighten, to break the bond.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

You can say that again!!! It requires more torque than used to tighten, to break the bond. It requires more torque than used to tighten, to break the bond. It requires more torque than used to tighten, to break the bond.

Spyder Garage

Default Foot peg "glue"

When I took the wife's foot pegs off to mount the ISCI floor boards, I was amazed how well the stuff glued the bolt in on the left side. Bike on truck ramps, me underneath working with wrench and 1/2" drive socket. Pulling with my foot against the tire cause I was pulling myself across the floor. Needless to say the socket slipped off and I punched myself in the lower lip. Took a break to calm the anger and tried again. Guess what happened, again? Socket slipped and punched myself in the lower lip AGAIN! Finally got it off and mounted the ISCI only to find the wife did not like them. Lottie 242 and remount foot pegs.

Spyder Garage

Default TKO

Cracked me up

Spyder Garage

Default Not on the 2012 RT

They must have decided to change it up, my '12 RT-L uses a Ny-lock nut under the peg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vrodrjs View Post
    They must have decided to change it up, my '12 RT-L uses a Ny-lock nut under the peg
    2011 - had both, Ny-lock & MONSTER GRIP

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    2011 - had both, Ny-lock & MONSTER GRIP
    Safety First!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadPenny View Post
    Needless to say the socket slipped off and I punched myself in the lower lip. Took a break to calm the anger and tried again. Guess what happened, again? Socket slipped and punched myself in the lower lip AGAIN!
    Just because I don't know how many times I have injured and reinjured myself.............it is way funnier when it involves someone else's lip!
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default TKO

The wife knew I was cranky when I had her come out to try the floorboards. I knew as soon as she put her feet on them that she didn't like them. It's not only once you get to mount them but several times. Take original pegs off and punch yourself several times, mount boards, take off to readjust the height, re-install, check comfort level, take off again and Loctite, re-mount and tighten. In my case got to remount the original pegs. Several days later I installed the Seal floorboards in about 15 minutes and she was happy. She says it's not a project unless I am bleeding somewhere. Haha!