Spyder Garage

Default RT Exhaust/Muffler

Has anyone tried modifying the original RT muffler? I would like to get a slightly deeper, throatier sound but I quite like the look of the original muffler on the RT. I was thinking of opening up the muffler to see if I can remove some of the baffling, but it may be a bit of a trial and error exercise. If anyone has tried this any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default I agree, but not sure about messin' with the muffler

Quote Originally Posted by dgnspyder View Post
    Has anyone tried modifying the original RT muffler? I would like to get a slightly deeper, throatier sound but I quite like the look of the original muffler on the RT. I was thinking of opening up the muffler to see if I can remove some of the baffling, but it may be a bit of a trial and error exercise. If anyone has tried this any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I share the same observation as dgnspyder. I like the dimensions of the stock exhaust. I've seen various aftermarket applications for exhausts on the RT, however, their appearance does not compliment the RT. When one removes the stock exhaust and bolts something else in there, the result is that it looks like ... hmm ... what was just bolted in belongs to something else. The aftermarkets ... even the dual exhaust application I've seen ... don't compliment the RT. It also exposes a lot of the rough under-workings of the RT that I don't particularly care be in view.

A smart aftermarket exhaust maven will take the form factor of the current RT/RT-S/Limited stock exhaust and re-engineer it to be lighter and variable in terms of baffles, while perhaps introducing a horsepower or two and not require too much muckin' around with the O2 settings. Another factor about after market exhausts is their effect on the O2 settings, back pressure and other factors, resulting in degraded mileage. This is why I wouldn't take the stock muffler apart and try to remove innards, unless you're positive about what you're doing. Mistakes are expensive around Spyders.

Thanks, dgnspyder for your observation. Now I don't feel like the lone ranger.

Paul

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i just put on a yoshimura pipe and it sounds and looks great on the spyder. but i'am selling my stock exhaust if your interested make me an offer brp wants 680+ for it.not looking for that much for mine.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Default Not me but I know a guy that did.

I know a guy that cut the stock muffler into three pieces pull EVERYTHING OUT OF IT. Welded it back together and it sounded the same as it did before. MAYBE a little deeper but barely noticeable.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds as if scooterexpress is making you a tough offer to refuse... It's always good to have a "Plan B" to fall back on, and if you can work out a deal...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for the comments. Being a motorsport person I will probably mess with the standard muffler (can't help myself). I do prefer the look of the original one, but fully respect that others like the look of their aftermarket pipes. I will pass on the offer of the muffler for sale as shipping to New Zealand would be very costly. Happy riding. Cheers, Daryl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you clean out the stock muffler and re-use the casing, you have to change the end piece in a manor so there is only one opening and it will need to be larger than 1 3/4". I cut off the flange section, added a chrome tip from a RoadKing muffler and it's all hidden under the bike..

"Note" No matter how big a chamber you dump the sound in, it depends on the exit diameter that gives you the tone.

"Suggestion" before you destroy your stock muffler, go to a swap meet or a local bike shop and find yourself a used muffler and gut it and go from there. moon muffler 007.jpgAs long as the "CAT" is left untouched, no other mods or additions need to be added. Backpressure has not been effeted. I've got almost a 1K on this setup and no issues other than "Now folks don't ride along beside me admiring the "Spyder". A light twist of the throttle and they more on. "Loud Pipes may not save your life, but they sure as hell give you space to manuver and enjoy the ride""moon muffler 008.jpg
    Last edited by Schnauzer; 05-27-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: forgot something