Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

They told you 1 hrs. labor.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Agree.

Heck, at $1k, sign me up. I'll do one a day every day and smile all the way to the bank!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They told me ATLEAST an hour, which worries me...

Spyder Garage

I see you're from Kentucky. If they mess with you, get hold of Raylan Givens. Nobody messes with Raylan.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySpyder View Post
    They told me ATLEAST an hour, which worries me...
    There is no way they can know the answer. It could be easy, and it could be insanely difficult. Easy takes an hour, tough can take many times that. There is no flat rate for work like this. It is all done on a time and materials basis. Look at it this way, they will probably do it in a fraction of the time it would take you...with far less chance of goofing things up. If you damage the crankcase trying to get out the stub, an engine teardown would be necessary. Bite the bullet and take it in. There is no other good choice unless you have done this kind of work before, and have the proper tools and experience.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There is no way they can know the answer. It could be easy, and it could be insanely difficult. Easy takes an hour, tough can take many times that. There is no flat rate for work like this. It is all done on a time and materials basis. Look at it this way, they will probably do it in a fraction of the time it would take you...with far less chance of goofing things up. If you damage the crankcase trying to get out the stub, an engine teardown would be necessary. Bite the bullet and take it in. There is no other good choice unless you have done this kind of work before, and have the proper tools and experience.

Yeh I stopped before I would be in danger of drilling into it or anything like that, but like you said nobody knows. Only positive is that their best mechanic is the Spyder Tech, maybe thats falls as a positive for me.

Spyder Garage

ArmySpyder,

Was it fixed today and did they break the bank?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

ArmySpyder,

Was it fixed today and did they break the bank?
    They called me with better news than I had been expecting. The guy said the HIGH-end would be $400, but he said he doesnt see it taking nearly that much time. @ $100/hr thats not bad I dont guess, but Im just thankful its not more. Should have on my riding gear by Friday!!!! Plus they had an ECU update. For those who havent been to the shop in a while, may want to make sure you dont need it. Will let you guys know when I pay the bill how much Im out all together.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, stopped at the Dealer yesterday because I was out with fam and check on the Spyder...not done yet Svc Mgr told me it would be today, ugh. Patience is a virtue, but not one of mine. Will let you guys know if I get it, and how much.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did the same thing on my first oil change. Over tightened it and the bolt broke. I actually like the design. Keeps you from stripping the threads out of the engine case. Fortunately for me I took a beer break, came back and actually backed the broken bolt out with my fingers. Whew! Now I use a nut driver instead of a ratchet. I have a torque wrench but it's a big one that doesn't go down to 8ft lbs. Before next time I will get a smaller one that measures in inch lbs. Live and learn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    These are tiny bolts...very easy to overtorque and damage or snap. Bolts don't break for "no reason", or because they are "bad". They break because they are tightened too much, corrode in place, are not tightened evenly, were cross-treaded, bottomed out, etc. Removing the broken bolt is one thing, but figuring out why it broke is more important, to prevent it from happening again.
    This is sooo true! You know you're finally a qualified, experienced mechanic when you at last reach the stage where you no longer destroy fasteners. It only takes about 30 years.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SPYDERPOPS;455910]You could try a small chisel and tap on what's left carefully in a counter clockwise direction. This should start it out if enough material is left on the bold. It shouldn't have any pressure on it now.

Next step if you can't get that to work is to center punch the bolt in the dead center. That may take some prep work like grinding it square first to get the punch lined up.

Don't drill it for an extractor as they almost always break off. Get a 1/16" left handed drill bit and use a reversible drill to start drilling it. It may actually unscrewed as you drill.

All bets are off if it isn't centered! Of you do have it centered then you can step up on size until you can use a small screw driver to turn the hollow screw out.

That is what I would do in those steps.

Another thought is to get a small grinder and cut a slot across the end sticking out and then try a screwdriver on the new slot.

---

Pretty darn good advice Been in your shoes mate just keep calm and youll get it handled . Dont get down on yourself about that , everyone even the best professionals have broken screws/bolts etc in their career , even they had to get creative to get the rest out . Patience is key, keep your chin up and get it if you dont you can still live a normal life with one kidney HA HA ...

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Question Teddy wants to know if there's any new news about this saga?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

11 days and counting... They had to order a hydraulic gasket for the hydraulic case. They have to remove the case to get a straight shot at the bolt, and replace the gasket when they do that. Called today and he said the guy had it tore down, but wasnt done with it. Asked them if it would be tomorrow, and he was like, "I dont want to tell you anything for sure". I get that, I do. But here's the deal, you keep telling me he's working on it, but it's still ONLY going to be at MAX 4hrs of labor. So if he's working on it, and now has all the parts, and your telling no more labor than you quoted...then WTF! Sorry, Im ranting, just doesnt make any sense.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...........hang in there, has to get better soon? Man I hear your frustration, why can't people just give you the facts without all the BS.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Saga is over. Everything is ready to go and it ran me a cool $615...That was after he cut the labor rate down to 85 instead of 100. Too bad its rainy today...

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Default WoW! Thats an expensive lesson to learn

But at least its over now and hopefully the weather clears soon & you can get some much needed Spyder therapy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    $615 to remove a broken bolt!? That's just sickening.

I wouldn't let a dealer within 100 feet of my Spyder if it was off warranty if there was any way in Hades I could fix it myself.
    I agree but we all have our "comfort" levels.

Hindsight is great isn't it ArmySpyder....................but that was one expensive oil change in the end! and also a big cause thats all you can do now! Glad she is home, safe and sound and ready to go for you!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    I agree but we all have our "comfort" levels...
    I deleted my post because it was a gut reaction and I didn't want to make him feel worse. Look, we've all made expensive mistakes, that's just the way it is. You win some you loose some. Life goes on.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeh it sucks, but, Im not a spyder tech, theres only some many people around who you could probably trust to "figure it out", and then chances are they would screw it up. The biggest issue with the bolt was its location. To get a remotely straight shot you have to remove all kinds of stuff. I installed my powercommander v and exhaust all by myself with no issues. So, I guess 2 out of three aint bad lol.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default *UPDATE*

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySpyder View Post
    Yeh it sucks, but, Im not a spyder tech, theres only some many people around who you could probably trust to "figure it out", and then chances are they would screw it up. The biggest issue with the bolt was its location. To get a remotely straight shot you have to remove all kinds of stuff. I installed my powercommander v and exhaust all by myself with no issues. So, I guess 2 out of three aint bad lol.
    Just got it home. What a sweet ride after 2 weeks of no spyderin'.