GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spydee8's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Gage Question

My fuel gage is not reading accurately. I have. 2012 RT-S and the other day the fuel gage showed I was on empty. When it was filled up, it would only hold three gallons. It has a six gallon tank. I called the dealership and was told the fuel gage is not very accurate. Really?! Why would Can-Am not put an accurate fuel gage in this machine? Was I told correctly?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Dee

Spyder Garage

How did you fill? If you fill like a car, and stick the nozzle all the way (or most of the way in) you will only half fill the tank. Best method is to insert the nozzle barely into the "no-lead" neck, and fill slowly until fuel just starts to spit out of the vent slashes. You can take another try or two, but don't overfill...the emissions canister doesn't like it. If you look inside the opening after you use this method, the fuel level should be 1/2" or so below the lowest part of the opening. The fuel gauge and light does seem to be a bit variable from machine to machine, and may bounce a lot, but it is relatively close at each end for most Spyders. Like many gauges, it is not linear...half on the gauge does not mean a half tank of fuel is left. It goes down slower on the top and faster on the bottom. The fuel light is supposed to come on when you have about 1.4-1.5 gallons left. That means you will put around 4.5 gallons in the tank at the point the light comes on and the gauge hits the red.

Your results may vary.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty coverall the issues. I drive by low fuel light and miles driven since last fill up. Light goes on about 130 miles. I usually run to 150 before filling up. Takes 4.8-5 something gallons. I have driven 185 before fill up--needle was below empty on the guage--but that was a bit scarry. It took 5.8 gallons.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Scotty is right...don't overfill it...pesky codes on the dash may follow and confuse you that something is wrong that may not really be the case.

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel

Have the dealer disconnect the gauges or you can. The digital is more accurate on both temp and gas.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    Have the dealer disconnect the gauges or you can. The digital is more accurate on both temp and gas.
    I TOTALLY agree with this statement. When I took delivery of my new 2012 RT Limited three weeks ago, I made sure that the dealership had (per my request) disconnected those two worthless analog gauges. The digital readouts are FAR more accurate!!!

Spyder Garage

I also unplugged the gauges. Its very easy to do. Simply turn the handlebars, remove the four cluster screws, pull out the cluster a bit and unplug the wires to the gauges. Be careful, I see the MPH writing is not lit at night so I figured that maybe it came off. Once the gauges are disconnected, they fuel and temp will show up on the digital readout.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default great advice

I am glad this was brought up. I have a 2011 RTS and have the exact problem. My husband rides a goldwing trike and we usually fill up at the same time when out for a ride. Later, I will tell him my gas is low (lights on) and he says that he still has over a half tank. Sure enough when we stop and fill my Spyder, in only holds 3 gallons (sometimes even less).

I really appreciate the advice here and plan to have this done to my bike ASAP.

Thanks
    Dee (different Dee from original poster
    2018 RT Limited , Champange with black and pink strips

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    It's really too bad BRP doesn't fix the analog gauge.
    Especially when they stick them on the higher level models as some sort of incentive.

The reason the analog gas gauge is inaccurate is because the fuel tank is oddly shaped.
    There is a float in the tank (just like a toilet)
    The gauge is proportional to the float level.
    When the float is halfway down, the gauge reads half the fuel is gone but that isn't true due to the tank configuration.

The digital gauge uses the same float but apparently has programming that accounts for the odd shape of the tank and displays more closely the actual fuel level left in the tank just as we've come to expect in every vehicle made in this century and half the last one.

It seems very odd to me that the high end models have useless gee-gaws that are purchased at a premium price then are owner disconnected.
    If they can't make the gauges work properly why not stick gauges that can be made to work instead?
    Maybe an oil pressure gauge, tire pressure oh, I dunno a volt or amp gauge.
    The product planners sort of missed the boat on this one, IMHO

rant over.
    I can't disagree with a single word...except maybe "rant". This isn't a rant, merely an insightful observation.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spydee8's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks !!

Thank you all so much!! As always, you all have been very helpful!!
    My husband and I are going to the dealership this morning, because of another issue. But this will be brought up, as well.

Thanks Again!!
    Dee