Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question How to wash Spyder?

Hi there,

I have had my Spyder now for exactly one month, and up until now, I've used a soft, wet cloth to wipe the windshield with just plain water, and done the same for any parts that were dusty or a little dirty.

Now it's time for a proper wash, but I wanted to check with everyone to see if there are tips and tricks to get a good result, and not do any damage.

Would using Zip Wax Wash be okay? Do you guys wet down the whole vehicle, or just carefully do it section by section? Is water okay on the seat? Are there any areas I should avoid spraying with a hose?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I wash mine with mild soap in spray washer. I get the whole thing wet, no pressure, just spray with soap and water. Rinse and wipe down. Never had a problem in 2 years. As for windshield, I have a calsci 23" that I keep clean between washes with 1/2 peak window wash and 1/2 peak bug cleaner mixed gotten from the magic place called Wal mart. I keep a spray bottle in frunk and a cloth.

Spyder Garage

Meguiars Ultimate stuff for the win!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

I posted this recently in another thread. I'll paste it again here to answer your inquiry:

The finish on your Spyder consists of plastics, paint on plastics, and metal. Use high quality cleaners and protectants to keep it looking great over the long haul. They may cost a little more but just like a quality engine oil it's worth a little more to protect it properly.

For non-painted plastic parts such as the trim, the windshield, etc. I recommend Plexus. I know of nothing better or safer to clean plastic. It's one of the very few products specifically designed to clean plastic. It's a bit expensive but a little goes a long way with this stuff, and a single can should last for a year or more.

For the painted plastics use Plexus with a clean microfiber cloth for gentle day to day touch up cleaning. For a long lasting protectant I recommend Nu Finish NFP-80 Polish. It's a polymer, not a wax, and safe for the Spyder's painted plastic. It's non-abrasive, and rated #1 by Consumer Reports for durability. It'll protect the paint against dirt, chemicals, acid rain, and UV for a month or more.

For metal such as the wheels and lower body parts use a quality auto detergent followed by Nu Finish NFP-80 Polish.

For the tire sidewalls, the vinyl/leather seat, and non-painted plastics use 303 Aerospace Protectant after cleaning. It's far superior to Armor All type products. A little goes a long way, don't overuse this product, especially on the seat. You don't want the seat to be slippery, you just want a single coat to protect against UV rays and dirt. It's expensive but one bottle will last for years.

These are the best products I can recommend for care and cleaning of your Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Wink Washing Tip

One thing I learned washing Harleys and tons of other bikes with handlebar switches is: to cover the handlebar switches with either newspaper delivery sleeves, grocery bags or small garbage bags slipped over the handlebars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydergrrl View Post
    y? Do you guys wet down the whole vehicle, or just carefully do it section by section? Is water okay on the seat? Are there any areas I should avoid spraying with a hose

Thanks!
    You've never ridden the rain.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi there,

I have had my Spyder now for exactly one month, and up until now, I've used a soft, wet cloth to wipe the windshield with just plain water, and done the same for any parts that were dusty or a little dirty.

Now it's time for a proper wash, but I wanted to check with everyone to see if there are tips and tricks to get a good result, and not do any damage.

Would using Zip Wax Wash be okay? Do you guys wet down the whole vehicle, or just carefully do it section by section? Is water okay on the seat? Are there any areas I should avoid spraying with a hose?

Thanks!
    I have had mine for about 2 weeks, and I have washed it several times. I have been using car wash soap and I use special stuff my hubby has in the garage that he uses for his HD for the windshield, so it doesn't get scratched. I will have to ask him the name of the product. It really works great, and I use it on my full-face helmet as well. I use a very gentle spray from our hose and a lint free cloth for more detailed cleaning.

One suggestion I have - my Dad actually gave me the idea...I pop up my seat and wrap a green plastic garbage bag around my seat and close it up before washing her. I know the seat can handle water, and yes, I have ridden her in the rain, but I commute on my spyder daily, so I would rather prevent a wet seat if possible. It really works great!

Spyder Garage

Wet the whole thing with a hose and normal spray nozzle.

Use some sort of automotive soap - they have no harsh chemicals or degreasers that will remove wax or harm the finish .

Use a soft microfiber glove or cloth to soap her up !

Hose her off , there is no need to hit it with the hard straight stream of water -- use the nice fan spray and you will be fine .

Dry her off with a sham wow of some sort , just make sure it is clean ! No dirt , don't drop it , if you do , clean it off real good.

When all dry use a show shine spray on wax , wipe on with microfiber cloth , 1 panel or section at a time , and use a clean microfiber cloth to wipe or buff up that area.

Every once in awhile I use Honda spray wax in a rattle can , it's a cleaner and wax , the stuff is awesome !

Microfiber cloths for applying and removing is the key !

There will never be any need to scrub or press hard to clean your machine ever. The bugs , dirt and grim will come right off easily .Basically fall off when you spray it with water.

This has worked for me over the years and all my machines are admired and complimented on how well taken care of they are.

I personally love the ARDEX cleaning products -- mostly sold to professional detailers .
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, fair-weather rider!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You've never ridden the rain.

Yes, you caught me there- I have had the good luck (so far) to not ride in the rain! I realized some people would probably laugh at the "is it okay to get the seat wet" part, but I just wondered if it's better for it not to be wet unless absolutely necessary!

And I do live on the "wet coast", so I'm sure my luck won't hold forever!

Spyder Garage

Don't worry , it's not just you .

I do everything possible to not ride in the rain .

If there is a 20% chance of rain , I am not riding .
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

I use a mister clean car wash kit to wash spyder, good thing about this is that you dont have to wipe down after and it doesnt dry spotty.I also use lemon pledge on windshield,takes off bugs and doesnt mark windshield

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, you caught me there- I have had the good luck (so far) to not ride in the rain! I realized some people would probably laugh at the "is it okay to get the seat wet" part, but I just wondered if it's better for it not to be wet unless absolutely necessary!

And I do live on the "wet coast", so I'm sure my luck won't hold forever!
    When your luck runs out you'll be thankful that you're on a Spyder. They handle really well in the rain and if you are wearing good rain gear and are in light traffic it can be kind of enjoyable.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    When your luck runs out you'll be thankful that you're on a Spyder. They handle really well in the rain and if you are wearing good rain gear and are in light traffic it can be kind of enjoyable.
    It's like being a cocoon of rain gear! --Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwanton View Post
    Don't worry , it's not just you .

I do everything possible to not ride in the rain .

If there is a 20% chance of rain , I am not riding .
    After reading alot of the post. all the high priced cleaning material is really not nessasary for the average rider. If you are afraid of the wet weather with the spyder, remember these are made from BRP one of the leading sellers of watercraft and winter riding machines. That being said, I have a 2010 RT SE5 with over 31K miles on it and a 2011 RS SE5 with just over13K. I've been driving comercial vehicles for over 40 some years so I think that I'm qualified to make this statement on how to clean vehicles. For the spyder any auto parts cleaning materials will work fine. Your brand is your preferrence. I use old cotton T-shirts, old towels, a few wash clothes, and Cleaning King scrubies that you get at the $ store (they do not scratch the paint or windsheild) I use auto finish car polish or turtle wax or any other brand. as for drying the spyder, cars motorcycles, semi-trucks I use a very hi-tec piece of equipment. and they are called leaf blowers LOL, when using it, use comon sense. Blow off as much of the water as you can first, then use the towel to wipe the rest of the spyder off. and polish as you like. Also in between washings I use pledge furniture polish lightly as a temp polish. It works great for getting bugs off. Hope this helps. Oh by the way I have gotten alot of awards for show.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might want to avoid actively dumping a lot of water into the air intakes behind your lower air deflectors...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi there,

Thanks!

I used the Pro Honda spray. You can get it from a Honda dealer, or amazon located at http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Spra.../dp/B004FSEJZA.

Msiple

Spyder Garage

Default Motul Motowash

My brother-in-law turned me on to the product. It is the best product I have used for washing a motorcycle. Check it out on the internet. Just spray on let stand for a few minutes then spray off, dry with soft cloth your chrome and seats. It dries spotless and leaves a protective protection. I have never used a product that works so well.
    albumid=1537&pictureid=16866[/url]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
    After reading alot of the post. all the high priced cleaning material is really not nessasary for the average rider. If you are afraid of the wet weather with the spyder, remember these are made from BRP one of the leading sellers of watercraft and winter riding machines. That being said, I have a 2010 RT SE5 with over 31K miles on it and a 2011 RS SE5 with just over13K. I've been driving comercial vehicles for over 40 some years so I think that I'm qualified to make this statement on how to clean vehicles. For the spyder any auto parts cleaning materials will work fine. Your brand is your preferrence. I use old cotton T-shirts, old towels, a few wash clothes, and Cleaning King scrubies that you get at the $ store (they do not scratch the paint or windsheild) I use auto finish car polish or turtle wax or any other brand. as for drying the spyder, cars motorcycles, semi-trucks I use a very hi-tec piece of equipment. and they are called leaf blowers LOL, when using it, use comon sense. Blow off as much of the water as you can first, then use the towel to wipe the rest of the spyder off. and polish as you like. Also in between washings I use pledge furniture polish lightly as a temp polish. It works great for getting bugs off. Hope this helps. Oh by the way I have gotten alot of awards for show.
    I would take exception to using a product like "Pledge". It is abrasive and over time will damage your finish.
    albumid=1537&pictureid=16866[/url]

Spyder Garage

I know there is a lots of opinions out there on the benefits of certain wash and polish products, are they just marketing hype and a waste of money.

I to was skeptical but a friend of mine turned me on to Honda Glare professional wash and Honda Glare professional Polish.

I have to tell you my 2006 Goldwing (which I say farewell too tomorrow) is in showroom condition and as a mirror finish.

The links above got to one of the site sponsors , its not cheap but trust me out of all the mods you buy, I beg you all to just try this you will never use anything else.

I use it on my bikes, atv's, car etc.

First time you give the bike a really good wash using the Glare Wash, then first time only you have to deep rub the Polish in to the finish. I used a power polishing system.

After that I just use the wash and once a year I give the bike another coating of the Polish, not as deep just a light coating.

I will be doing the same with my new spider over the weekend, I will take some before and after pictures.

But once on it shines, mirror like finish and nothing sticks to it, bugs just rinse off.

Highly recommend this product try it for yourself.

BTW, I'm NOT affiliated with these products in any shape of form just an honest opinion that I see a huge difference.

Harry
    Last edited by harrypottar; 05-18-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Any resemblance to this thread and one on the choice of oils, is purely coincidental.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

harry

zrc

Default Washing the beast

When I wash my Spyder I use a very select mixture of cool mountain spring water, unicorn tears and eye of newt. It reanimates the bugs and they help clean like in that disney movie and in sorcerer's apprentice.

I have to wear a little wizard hat and talk like Hermine Grainger when I do it though. And laugh like Mickey...

~~~~~

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    When I wash my Spyder I use a very select mixture of cool mountain spring water, unicorn tears and eye of newt. It reanimates the bugs and they help clean like in that disney movie and in sorcerer's apprentice.

I have to wear a little wizard hat and talk like Hermine Grainger when I do it though. And laugh like Mickey...

~~~~~

But does it work? I'm interested in trying this, can you do an how to video and post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Any resemblance to this thread and one on the choice of oils, is purely coincidental.

Spyder Garage

Default XPS Cleaning Kit

You might want to check out what Faran has to say about the XPS Cleaning Kit

http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/blog/Spy...f-a03f010fabc6
    Let's Ryde!