Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Recommended Hot Weather Jacket & Pant

What is your recommendation for hot weather jacket & pants? Any other advise to stay cooler.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Get in touch with BajaRon (a site sponsor)...He's got some good deals on mesh riding outfits...high quality...great price...

Spyder Garage

Default Other recommendations

Move to Canada, not so Hot here!
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

zrc

Quote Originally Posted by DRTSB View Post
    Move to Canada, not so Hot here!

I am betting this is one heck of a true statement.

Spyder Garage

Along with a mesh jacket (and there are many brands out there) you may want to try a cooling vest, unless your area of the country has high humidity. The cooling vest is dipped in water and as the moisture evaporates it cools you down.

Spyder Garage

I have a perforated leather (Firstgear)--discontinued style
    and another non-leather mesh jacket.

Baja Ron is a good go to. A site sponser with reasonable prices.

It reaches 70 usually less than 5 times a year here, so I don't get to ride with my "hot" weather gear on very often.

We are going for low to mid 60's this week--heat wave

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

All last year I wore Speed & Strength jacket I bought from a friend of mine. I was pretty happy with it and I was riding in 100+ weather in Arkansas. Here's a link to a sale on that brand if you are interested - GREAT price at $57, starting to be slim pickin's on the sizes though.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...for_women.html

This year I've been wearing the mesh gear that BRP makes and I'm pretty happy with it too, except that it doesn't come with armor. You have to buy it separately.

Both are made for the wind to go straight through. Which works great if you have windshield short enough to get the wind. If you have a taller windshield and are riding in really hot weather, you will definitely want to get something like the chiller vests or neck wraps that hold the cold for a long time.

Hope that helps!

arntufun

I don't know where you all are from, but in my neck of the world when it's hot out you don't wear jackets and pants. You wear shorts, tee shirts and flip flops !!! GEEZ........

Spyders in the ADKS 7-28-11 254 (2).jpg
    Last edited by arntufun; 05-16-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BRP mesh pants are really nice. They keep you pretty cool when riding and if you wear shorts underneath them you can take them off and be cool when you get where you are going.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Lots of good varieties of mesh out there.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I don't know where you all are from, but in my neck of the world when it's hot out you don't wear jackets and pants. You wear shorts, tee shirts and flip flops !!! GEEZ........

Spyders in the ADKS 7-28-11 254 (2).jpg
    Those are quite the flip flops is that some kind of New York high fashion, wear those here in western Canada and she would have ice cubes on her feet lol
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Spyder Garage

I'm trying out the Olympia Airglide 3 mesh jacket. I haven't had it long enough to see how well it will do during the hot Texas summer months. So far it is working well for spring riding. It has two liners that work together or separately: one for warmth in the early spring/late fall, and one for rain.

I have both liners removed and except for a slight chill at hwy speeds when the temps drop to 60-70 at night, the jacket works fine without the liners. The jacket has armor protection for the forearms, shoulders, and spine. I have high visibility neon yellow, but it comes in several color choices. http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog...h-tech-jacket/
    mj149z.jpg

Another jacket that I was considering is the Olympia Switchback mesh jacket, but my wife thought the black color would absorb too much heat. It only has the rain liner with no insulation. http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog...h-tech-jacket/
    mj207z.jpg
    Last edited by bo9roadking; 05-17-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

bo9roadking,

Do you know anything about the Olympia pants in general? Just wondering if they run true to size. I'll be ordering over the internet and don't want the hassle of having to send them back. I'm looking at a pair where the lower part of the pant leg zips off. There is no store/dealer nearby that sells Olympia.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    bo9roadking,

Do you know anything about the Olympia pants in general? Just wondering if they run true to size. I'll be ordering over the internet and don't want the hassle of having to send them back. I'm looking at a pair where the lower part of the pant leg zips off. There is no store/dealer nearby that sells Olympia.
    Sorry, can't help with that info. I only own the jacket. I still wear my jeans when riding. I'm guessing that will change with longer rides on the spyder, but I haven't looked into any mesh pants yet.

Here is a video that might help you with pants sizing: #!

Here is a video that talks about the Olympia pants that convert to shorts with a brief mention on Olympia sizing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FFGsRMyilms#!
    Last edited by bo9roadking; 05-17-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

bo9roadking,

Olympia runs true to size in the waist. But they definitely run quite long. Although they claim it's easy to shorten them, it was a job my wife does not want to tackle on her pants or mine.

One nice thing about the Olympia jackets that come with two liners is that one is waterproof and one is insulated. They zip together. They form a separate jacket that can be worn alone and the insulated one is surprisingly warm.
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with Scotty; Mesh is best when the weather starts getting a bit toasty!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

bo9roadking,

Wyliec,

I own the Olympia Motorsports Airglide III jacket and pants. I use them year round. The pants are great and come true to size. They have an elastic waistband that adds comfort if you each too much BBQ at Missouri Hick. They also have belt loops if you then go on a diet. :-)

I have the grey/black jacket and a pair of all black and all grey pants so that the jacket matches with either pant. I leave my pants long so that they stay over my touring boots and don't rise up when seated. They are a bit more expensive, but have all the armor included and easy to wash. You can catch them on sell. I think I got 15% off on my purchase at the time.

Mine do not zip off and become shorts. I don't ride in shorts. To be honest, I don't see the need. The pants are almost see through with the holes in them. I also don't want to loose the safety of the armour on the knees.

The pants can also be hemmed by a commercial tailor. The fabric is too thick for a regular sewing machine. I highly recommend them.
    Last edited by ntxYguy2009; 05-17-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    David
    McKinney, TX

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket with armor. it has a removable water resistant liner for cooler days and adjustable snaps to help keep the armor in place . I wear motorcycle jeans with kevlar panels in certain areas.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ntxYguy2009 View Post
    Wyliec,

Mine do not zip off and become shorts. I don't ride in shorts. To be honest, I don't see the need. The pants are almost see through with the holes in them. I also don't want to loose the safety of the armour on the knees.
    I don't intend to ride with the lower part of the pant legs off. When I stop somewhere for awhile when the weather is hot, that's when I would use the 'shorts' feature.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rather than wear shorts and annoy the viewing public, we just stop for ice cream...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    My brother use to wear shorts on cycle rides but not anymore after a bee flew up his shorts while riding. Never seen anyone come to a stop so quick.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talk about learning a lesson the hard way!

Spyder Garage

I don't intend to ride with the lower part of the pant legs off. When I stop somewhere for awhile when the weather is hot, that's when I would use the 'shorts' feature.
    That's what mesh overpants are for. When you get where you are going, you just zip them off altogether.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That's what mesh overpants are for. When you get where you are going, you just zip them off altogether.

I have a pair of mesh overpants. I was looking for something more streetable in case I don't turn them into shorts. Oh, I also purchased a pair of mesh pants from Ron that aren't overpants and look more like street pants. Some people spend money on mods; I spend it on clothes so Bob can bust on me.

Bob,

One more crack from you and I'm going to give you the wrong directions into Syracuse.

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of mesh overpants. I was looking for something more streetable in case I don't turn them into shorts. Oh, I also purchased a pair of mesh pants from Ron that aren't overpants and look more like street pants. Some people spend money on mods; I spend it on clothes so Bob can bust on me.

Bob,

One more crack from you and I'm going to give you the wrong directions into Syracuse.
    That's OK, I guess I never understood the reason for those outdoors pants that zip into shorts, either. For that matter, I never quite understood shorts. I have been accused of standing on a chicken. If I wore shorts, women and children would run screaming to Homeland Security, saying we had been invaded by stick men.

Just tell Bob that if he acts up you will forward all posts about his mods to the finance committee...LOL.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!