Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking to purchase a new RS-S

Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing an RS-S. How do others like them? I have no riding experience, I had previously been playing with the idea of getting a sports bike but never got around to it.

I've been getting some rather irritating feedback from everyone I know, which I'm sure you guys have gotten similar feedback at times. Its making me hesitant to drop 20 grand on a bike if I'm going to hear crap about it the rest of my life.

Does anyone have any positive feedback? (I know I'm at the right place to get that!)

I'm obviously getting the "its not a real bike" feedback, also the only retirees ride these (I'm 30).

Anyone want to counter that and make me feel better; the place i was at is pretty much ready to run my credit, though they didn't have a model on the floor I could take for a test drive.

Also, what is the resale value like on these? They told me at the motorsports dealership that they only ever had one used one come in the door, and that it was priced only 10% under what the sticker price was 2 years earlier.

Thanks,
    Dan

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default POPULAR ITEMS

This is not meant to upset you but....If you are the kind of person who only purchases what everybody else wants you to buy because you need to feel approval.....I suggest you don't BUY anything because you will always be disappointed in very short order....However I do recommend the Spyder as a means to Happiness IMHO.....Mike....Good Luck....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is not meant to upset you but....If you are the kind of person who only purchases what everybody else wants you to buy because you need to feel approval.....I suggest you don't BUY anything because you will always be disappointed in very short order....However I do recommend the Spyder as a means to Happiness IMHO.....Mike....Good Luck....
    Thats not exactly the way I was looking at it, I see stories on here of people getting "wow, what is that" responses all the time. I happen to work at a company that specializes in automotive repair information and most of their guys either ride or have ridden and I'm catching crap from everyone. I buck the trend on many things, I just don't like the idea of constantly being put down on a major purchase, I am hoping that the positives outweigh the crap it looks like I'm going to get.

On the bright side I got the call they approved my financing; I just still need to decide if I'm going to sign on the line....

Spyder Garage

With a purchase as big as this, my suggestion is to go and test drive. Get what you want and get what you like.

The RSS is the 'sporty' spyder. There are a lot of "mature" people that own them, but the demographic runs as young as 20 years old.

If the opinions of others are going to make you doubt your purchase--you should not be making it, because you are going to be one unhappy camper.

I don't think anyone here is going to give you a three page post trying to sell you a .

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don,t buy if you have any hesitation AND get a test drive AND shop around a lot to get the best deal.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default RS owner

I own an RS which has been updated with an Ultimate Seat and highway pegs. IMHO it is very comfortable and a with little more "get up and go" compared to an RT, primarily due to the 200 lbs less weight. I am 6'3" so you may find the stock seat and driving position just fine as the factory built it. I have aftermarket saddlebags from Leather Man and a Nelson-Rigg tank bag. These additions give me plenty of space for short tours, however I ride alone. If you ride two up and plan to tour, the RT might be your best choice. As to what people say; ignorance is bliss. The Spyder is NOT a motorcycle and does not drive like one. That being said, it is a blast, safer than most MCs and there are plenty of two wheelers who don't care what you drive, just that you do! I was at Spyderfest in Cuba, MO last month and saw several younger couples and singles there. The "Crotch Rocket" crowd will never approve and they don't like Trike conversions either.

zrc

Yo.

Im 34, I ride one, and I enjoy the holy living heck out of it. Yes you get lots of attention, looks and other. Is it all positive, no. I get people on "real bikes" that just shake their head or dont return "the biker wave". Fine, I dont care, because i want to ride, and if I was rolling a rocket it would by a Hibbi and I would be dead in less than 2 months. Thats just about the tall and short of it.

Before you run out and sign a line for an RS or RSS. I would make some calls around, town, other dealers, cowtown where I know some prime RS / GS / RSS's got turned over and are now I am sure up for resale. You could get a bike for less and throw the spare cash at some mods. Just saying, if you are going to roll down the spyder road, you will want to make the bike your own, and going brand new, then moding can get crazy, going used with some mods you wanted and some wiggle room on long term capital might be better for you long term.

Regardless if you go with a RS, RSS, GS, RT, RT A+S, RT Limited, Gixxer, HOG, or M109. Ride something you love, something you couldnt imagine not riding. Something that makes you sad when its rainy or cold... These are vehicles that are rarely ones only transportation, so ride it for the feel and the thrill and the joy. And if you "friends" dont like and respect your purchase (its one thing to get the occasional ribbing) and be happy for you, then honestly, they arent your friends.

Just my thoughts bro. Do NOT go into spyder life blind, it could kill ya wallet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on finding the best site for information in the Universe!
    The test ride should be your first priority. Do you have any ATVing or snowmobiling experience? the Spyders feel a lot more like them than they do a two-wheeled motorcycle...
    Don't worry about the "Armchair Quarterbacks" It's always easier to rail away from the cheap seats than it is to offer up an informed opinion... If you like it, just let them all wallow in their blissful ignorance. If you don't like it; look at other vehicles...
    Please let us know how the test ride goes and what you decide... Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Dan,
    I own an RS-S. Out of all the autos, boats, snowmobiles, and motorcycles I've purchased throughout the years I find the Spyder to be the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. It gives you the open air experience of a motorcycle combined with the thrill of a high performance, road hugging roadster. A truly unique experience that nothing else out there gives you. Many owners have said that you find yourself smiling all the while you're riding it. I know I do. It's an incredible ride.

However it's difficult to tell first time potential buyers how to decide if they should get one. Many suggest a test ride. That's good advice but the first ride on a Spyder, especially an RS can be intimidating. Test riders fall into two categories, those familiar with riding motorcycles and those who aren't. Both face potential issues for different reasons. The motorcyclists often expect the Spyder to handle similar to a motorcycle. It does not. The Spyder does not lean into turns and therefore the dynamics they feel while riding it are foreign to them. Many see this as a flaw and report how bad they felt the ride was. I was from this camp. As a motorcyclist for many years I didn't expect to feel g-forces going around a corner and it alarmed me (which I now find amusing as I'm addicted to the ride, especially the cornering which I find even more enjoyable than motorcycling).

The non-cyclists may also experience difficulties on their initial test ride. The RS is very powerful and quick and a non-experienced rider may find all the sensations overwhelming. The bottom line is that for many, a single test ride may actually discourage people from buying a Spyder. That's a real shame because after a brief learning curve, which usually takes several rides, you finally understand that the Spyder is both an extremely thrilling ride and at the same time a relatively safe ride. Once you realize this you begin to relax and then the fun begins. The ride becomes so addicting that from the moment you drive it into your garage after a ride you can't wait until you get out there again. That's the best way I can describe the feeling.

You mentioned how your peers feel. Well we all face that especially from the die hard motorcyclists. All I can tell you is that the reaction to my RS-S from the overwhelming majority of people has been extremely positive. I believe the Spyder is one of the most coolest rides ever invented and I'm not alone. Here is just one story I've experienced... With trepidation I once had to take it into a die hard motorcycle dealership to get a required state inspection. This dealership sold only motorcycles and not Spyders so I didn't think my presence there would be welcome. I couldn't have been more wrong. You would have thought I drove a Ferrari Enzo onto the lot. They all crowed around to look at it and ask questions. They took it in for inspection immediately from the back of the line with no one objecting. The head mechanic came out and told me the $35 inspection was on the house just because of the cool factor and to bring it around any time. I then offered to let him ride it which he accepted like a kid at a candy store. He actually ran to get his helmet. After the ride he came back smiling ear to ear. Even my die hard Harley friends now mutter under their breath that "it ain't so bad." At work they call me Spyderman and every time I look there's a crowd around it in the parking lot. People will take photos of you on the street and you'll get strangers walking up to you everywhere asking about it. No one vehicle is loved by all but the Spyder can make you feel like a rock star. If your friends still rib you about it, it'll be out of jealousy.

So that's been my experience with my RS-S. Your experience may vary (but not by much).

Spyder Garage

Thanks for some positive antidotes; I've never followed the crowd, its just with a purchase this big I started to get worried i'd be getting kicked around all the time with the comments I had already gotten. I hadn't even been planning to purchase a vehicle of any kind this summer, I decided to take a look at the spyder this week after seeing some ads... and figured I might have some fun while at the same time save some money on gasoline and use it for my daily commute... (not much i know)

I have a test drive scheduled for saturday (they had just gotten their 2012 demo in and are still prepping it)... I ran out and got my practice permit today, but I don't think they are going to let me out on the open road with their demo bike so unfortunately I won't get a great feel for it.

Unfortunately no, the only motorized vehicles I've used outside of a car are boats, jet skis, and airplanes (obviously no similarity there).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well good luck tomorrow, and we'll be expecting a full report on our desk on Monday morning...

Spyder Garage

Default No experience, no problem

I bought an RS a few weeks ago and am still getting used to it, though I rode two wheels for over 30 years. The Spyder is a whole new experience for me and it's a little more fun every time I get on it. The point being that you would almost have to unlearn your two wheel habits to ride anyway, so in some ways starting fresh puts you ahead of the game.
    I always wave at other bikes (and though my 3-wheel experience is severely limited) I have yet to not receive a return wave. It does attract attention.
    The RS is an option you may want to consider, it's $1800.00 less and that's money you can spend on other mods you may feel you need. It's a hard choice, because if you do want all the RS-S options, then it's a great deal. For my part, the only option I really wanted were the upgraded Fox shocks and I can change those myself for about $500.00.

Spyder Garage

I am 41 and have had a few jixers ,cruisers and one bad azz M109 . That being said , what kind of riding are you going to be doing and is it going to be with these friends ?

What kind of person are you ? Laid back and relaxed or a competitive kind of guy ?

Are you going to be riding twisties in the mountains all day or desert flat road racing ?

On the spyder you are going for a nice ride , fast or cruising speeds, you don't have to worry too much about sand , rocks , pot holes , road patchwork , dead squirrels etc....... You just ride through all this crap and hardly notice at all. On a motorcycle all these could be deadly , and you really have to know how to ride with all your senses . Racing a crotch rocket , you have to use your hands and feet a lot to control the machine . Please read and learn how to ride a motorcycle , it's not just jump on and go -- not that you can't , but it's awesome to know how to ride with your whole body .

A 80+mph the spyder get a little squirly and at that point you then get your heart pumping and ride hard and pay lots of attention to the road and your surroundings just like on a bike. At the slower speeds I feel it is just kick back and enjoy the great life you have. On a bike the higher speeds are smooth and just FAST ! And very dangerous ! The cagers have a very hard time with sensing how fast a bike is coming at them ! I feel the spyder is easier to see , making it safer along with all the safety features it has.

IT IS STILL FUN RIDING WITHOUT DOING 100 MPH !

Ride safe and arrive ALIVE !

Oh yea - all your friends are gonna want to ride your spyder if you get one !
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwanton View Post
    I am 41 and have had a few jixers ,cruisers and one bad azz M109 . That being said , what kind of riding are you going to be doing and is it going to be with these friends ?

What kind of person are you ? Laid back and relaxed or a competitive kind of guy ?

Are you going to be riding twisties in the mountains all day or desert flat road racing ?
    Good question, not sure what type of riding, I think I'll use it for a lot of commuting to cut down on gas (my car takes premium, ouch), but also joy riding and some short road trips (100-200 miles). I've looked at getting a sports bike for a few years but never followed through, this looks like it has a lot of the same fun factor and some extra utility. Of course, having never ridden anything else I won't have anything else to compare the experience to.

Regarding the mountains or road racing, probably neither but who knows what I'll end up doing long term.

I am looking at the semi-automatic transmission. How does everyone like the paddle shifting? I've had manuals on my cars for years, I kind of like the idea of a hassle free shift in rush hour traffic which has begun to get old

Spyder Garage

I am mid 30s and love my RSS w semi automatic....I actually ryde w both crotch rocket crew and Spyder club.

This was my first bike but I've loved ryding ATVs and Snowmobiles for years

Buy the Spyder and enjoy the experience!

Spyder Garage

Hell I'm younger than you and it's a blast to rip around on. Is it a crotch rocket? Hell no! Does it give you a big **** eating grin? F-in right it does. I have friends on sports bikes, street fighter style bikes an HD... I get my ribs poked and I poke back it's all good. If you wanna cruise then you can if you wanna blast to a buck 30... Well find out. It's a fast as hell summer snowmobile so who gives a ***** what others think as long as your safe and having fun. As far as your friends don't let them tell you what to get, if you get what they tell you too and you hate it... Waste of money. If you can afford it (or if you can't) the spyder is fun for all ages... PERIOD!
    If you have a background in quads or snowmobiles then you have a better idea what this is like than a "bike".
    Anyways rant over

Jus dooooooo it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default love it

I have an RS S and love it, I purchased it for the safety features. i rode street and trail bikes as a kid and broke arms and peeled skin off of my body. I actually shopped the crouch rockets and then the Harleys, 3 years ago I saw operation repo and Matt was repoing one and that was when I decided to shop the Spyder, it has been the best purchase (besides my home) that I have ever made. More people are interested in it than ridiculing me for not having a "real bike". I have only had 1 person say that it was not a motorcycle but I responded that I would not be scraped off of the pavement while riding a 2 wheeler. I have had quite a few discussions with people and I tell them that the best thing I like about it is the safety aspect. Spyders Rock!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 or 3 Wheels, Chevy or Ford??

I love HD's and 2 wheel bikes, I just decided what was best for ME. Hopefully, you will do the same. I felt pressure to get a 2 wheeler, but the bottom line is...what was and is safer for me? I like Fords, someone else may like Chevys, so what? Who cares? Friends will rib you over anything.

I have only had my RS-S for 9 days and I LOVE it! I also bought my Spyder for commuting, and it has changed my commute around for the better, at least for me. I have a smile on my face when I get on my Spyder in the morning and when I park her in the garage at night. Gas has gone down by an enormous amount and my carpool access has reduced my toll by 50%. I tested a Spyder, and as most folk on here are suggesting, it is probably a good idea to see if you will enjoy it. I had never ridden a motorcycle myself before the Spyder, and I had no problems. I did ride as a passenger for years, and I do think that helped make it a bit easier for me.

The SE5 is really nice. I have a lot of traffic with my commute and I am sure the manual clutch would have been harder on me. The shocks that come with the RS-S are GREAT and the comfort seat, truly is comfortable. Again, I am commuting long distance, so these things were important to me, whereas they may not be for others. Good luck on your decision, and have fun on your test ride!

Spyder Garage

Default No regrets here

To be honest, I was a lttile timid about dropping 20 grand as well. I've been wanting a Spuder since they came out in 2008. I broke down in March and bought a 2012 RSS. I rode it 2 hours back to my house. It was a little intimidating, considering I wasn't acquainted with anything on it and to make things worse it was at night. After a few rides the next week, I started to get the hang of everything. And you will always have people teasing you because it has three wheels. But there are a lot more positive comments than negative. If you do decide to get a spyder, be sure to shop around. Wherever you go ask the salesperson of they have a prepaid maintenance plan. It will pay off in the long run. My first 6 services are covered under that, and I also got the added extended warranty which will cover you after the first year of factory warranty.

I'm addicted now and I hate when it's calling for rain. I guess I need a good rain suit and take off anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    I am looking at the semi-automatic transmission. How does everyone like the paddle shifting? I've had manuals on my cars for years, I kind of like the idea of a hassle free shift in rush hour traffic which has begun to get old
    The SE5 tranmission is pretty dang fun! In heavy traffic it'd really make things a whole lot easier...
    I was thinking about this last evening; if your friends want to pick on you; diffuse the situation with something like a reference to "Training wheels", "Tricycles", or the best of all, "Big Wheels". If you give them no place to go, they'll stop pretty darn quick!
    Besides; who didn't love Big Wheels as a kid?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default new spyder

Any model of the spyder you would buy, would make you happier than a two wheel bike. Its something you have to get first and get use to in order to make that statement. Many say they don't like them, because they can't afford them, and don't want to go that much in debt for it. After reading what you had to say about your riding experence, and what you want it for, you would love it. Don't let negative people have the rule of your life, the next thing they will be telling you, is that you don't need handlebars. Check them out real good make sure you get the color you like,and all the options that make you happy. If two wheels are nice, three are better. May GOD'S safety be upon you.

Spyder Garage

Talking Took my test ride today

After several delays of them getting their floor unit ready to drive I finally got to give it a ride this afternoon.
    I must say, the throttle on that thing scares the crap out of me... its going to take a while to get used to. I barely bumped it and felt like I was going to fall off the bike backwards. They let me take it up and down the extended parking lot but I didn't open it up too far since there were some blind spots with the buildings where I didn't want to hit a car if one pulled out. I probably got it up to around 35 or 40.

It definitely felt fun and I'm sure once I get used to the acceleration and the brake location I'd settle in fairly quickly.

The color is fairly close to my Eclipse Spyder, they make a good pair

spyder vs spyder.jpg

Biggest downsides I see at the moment is I still have no practical vehicle for hauling or winter driving, and its $20k... but I'm very much leaning towards getting it. It surprised me, we were able to put my flight bag in the storage compartment that I take when I go flying... that bag is by no means small. Now the wait is on to see if my credit union beats the dealer's financing options.

Spyder Garage

I dont recomend rt-s i have 2011 spyder rt-s 1400 miles nothing but trouble think long an hard check bbb first about dealer wished i did

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Your test drive

Dude, face it. Once you hopped on the Spyder you were bitten. Serously, I own an 09 GS (called them GS until 2010. changed to the RS) I am many years your senior and continue to ryde with a bunch of different bike types. When my Harley friends razz me I razz them right back and remind them their $35,000 hunk of Milwaukee chrome is only worth 1/2 that when they go to sell it. I love the comments, good and bad. That's what make me a rock star. I just turned 15,000 miles and has only been in the shop for routine maintenance or 1 recall.

One last thing; when I pulled it out of the trailer from the dealership, my neighbor had the usual WTF is that? Now he tells all his buddies (he races cars) and I am always taking it over to his house to be crawled over by his friends. IMHO buy it!!!

Jim

Spyder Garage

If you have your license or don't need one in your state see if you can rent one for a long weekend. I know I did and after 3 days you will have a much better idea of of the "life" and if it was the right decision. Good luck
    do they still refer to the eclipse drop top as a spyder? If so you will now be a 2 spyder family