Spyder Garage

Default Repairing a tear/wear on a motorcycle seat

Hello Everyone. Hope all is well. Been a long time since I have visited. Of course, I still miss the ride.
    I have a question for you all.
    Anybody ever try to repair a tearing/wearing through, vinyl seat? and if so, what did you use? (brand name) and what was the outcome?
    Thanks in advance for your input. Safe riding and keep it on 2 or 3 wheels. (: Jerry

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    Hello Everyone. Hope all is well. Been a long time since I have visited. Of course, I still miss the ride.
    I have a question for you all.
    Anybody ever try to repair a tearing/wearing through, vinyl seat? and if so, what did you use? (brand name) and what was the outcome?
    Thanks in advance for your input. Safe riding and keep it on 2 or 3 wheels. (: Jerry
    A good upholsterer can remove the panel that has worn out and stitch a new one in. But there may be an appearance difference between the new material and the old, it's likely not going to be noticeable except to those who know what you did. FWIW.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For an interim patch... Lay some electrical tape over the damaged area and CAREFULLY use a soldering pencil to melt it into the rip... I used this little trick for years on snowmobile seats since they kept putting buckles on the boots that'd rip the seats every time you came up short on a mount or dismount...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A small hole can be patched successfully, but a tear is usually fatal. Most tears are at seams, and rip at the stitches, so both side of the hem are gone. In addition, the stresses on a motorcycle seat are substantial, so repairs seldom last long. Best solution is a new seat cover or replacement of the panels by a professional upholsterer. In the meantime, Gorilla Tape works wonders.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default a hole

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A small hole can be patched successfully, but a tear is usually fatal. Most tears are at seams, and rip at the stitches, so both side of the hem are gone. In addition, the stresses on a motorcycle seat are substantial, so repairs seldom last long. Best solution is a new seat cover or replacement of the panels by a professional upholsterer. In the meantime, Gorilla Tape works wonders.
    It is actually a hole and not a tear. looks to be wearing out where a gel pack was installed in the seat. I know the seat days are numbered. Jerry

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

A whole can often be repaired with a vinyl patch kit, especially if you can remove the cover to glue on a backing patch or maneuver a patch throught the hole. The heat vulcanizing/texturing process is tricky, though. You may want to consult a professional. Look under "vinyl repair".
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!