Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Mini Mate tent camper

I'am considering the purchase of a Mini Mate Tent camping trailer from Open Road Outfitters for my Spyder and was just wondering if any one out there on our forurm has one and what they think about it. any and all info would be greatly appreciated. The video on their web site sure makes it look easy to set up and at only 265 lbs. seems like it will be easy to pull with my Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just curious... Do you have a link to their website? I'm always looking for the next curveball to throw at the Missus...
    The best defense; always having a good offense!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just curious... Do you have a link to their website? I'm always looking for the next curveball to throw at the Missus...
    The best defense; always having a good offense!
    The best defense is always have your own "private" stash
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But that would require having money... and since I own my own business; that just ain't in the cards...
    Thus my tactic of giving her something to scream about whilst hiding my real motives... HEE-HEE!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool! Thanks for the info!

"Oh Honey..."

Spyder Garage

Just a thought from a long time motorcycle camper...if you can find a deal on the USA Venturcraft Kwik Kamp (Belaire) it IS by far the BEST motorcycle camper out there. They are out of business, formerly built in Abilene, TX. They stopped making them in about 1997 or so. Most have been garage kept, and they are amazing. They are about 250#, they use real canvas NOT see thru nylon ( a definite plus for the missus)..they hold 25 cu ft of cargo...that is easily accessible ON the road or IN camp...you can get to the cargo WITHOUT messing with the bed and you can get into bed WITHOUT messing with the cargo. Real time setup in under 60 seconds....TRUTH!! Sometimes hard to find, but worth the search for a nice one expect $2500 or so have seen some at $1500 just my 2 cents cheers Mike

Spyder Garage

I watched the video. The thing that concerned me was ventilation when it's raining in the warmer climates. There is nothing over the top portion of the windows to deflect rain when the windows are unzipped.
    Maybe the awning he spoke of covers the windows? Also, if it's raining, something inside is going to get wet in the setup or take down.

I had some friends that bought one of those cabin tents that the slope of the walls was wrong and no way to deflect the rain. They ended up with a small lake inside.

Spyder Garage

Mine has a similar window arrangement...the water will shed fine off the vinyl roof...very little, if any will get in the window...What i would be concerned about: cargo access while traveling(cant reach much thru the side door)..IF you have gear on the top luggage rack, youll have to unload that BEFORE setting up the tent. The interior cargo will also have to be removed, before setting up the tent...and will be underfoot in the dressing room when you put it back Dont mean to rag on this particular product, but after motorcycle camping from AZ to Maine...these little things become important...especially if its raining when you're trying to set up.....

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

We have the Aspen Sentry, a friend has the Bunkhouse Li'l Bit. All the tent camper are slick! Get the one that suits your needs the best. Watch the cargo capacity carefully. There is usually more room available than the towing capacity of the Spyder will allow. Adding a full 40-80 pound cooler, and maybe a spare tire , gets you near that 400 pound limit in a hurry.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I went with the Aspen sentry too, my main point for early on vetting was how fast can I set it up, I was thinking about how it would be to pull in to camp in a down pour. Your choice no doubt will be the best choice for you.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

I have one. I had it set up at Spyderfest one day. It has been painted blue to match my RTS. I've pulled it to Cuba twice and Tenn. twice. You don't even know it's back there until you go to back up. The main reason I bought it was the quick set up time, plus the walk in door and not havingto get up off the ground. I have not slept in it yet. The first time in Cuba they were calling for severe thunderstorms, when I was in Tn. it was 90 degrees plus. It is for sale. If you have any further questions about it. PM me with your phone no. No need to tie up this forum with further questions,
    plus I am not a fast typer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Camper for Spyder RT

Look at Roadmancampers.com. They are all alum, w/ real canvas tops. A SMALL camper/cargo trailer built for bikes, not a scaled down automotive pop-up! NICE PEOPLE! I have one with extras on order, willl be here (Ark) in about a week. Net weight 225 lb. After design the mfg. (small Co.) pulled it coast to coast with a 650 v-twin, with gear - no problems. It does come std with 12" tires and alum wheels.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't think I could withstand setting that one up in the rain.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    I don't think I could withstand setting that one up in the rain.
    Easy to set up in the rain...at least the Aspen Sentry is. You are inside in less than a minute, and nothing inside gets wet. Taking down in the rain is less fun. One of the keys to setting up quickly in the rain is practice. Setting up in the yard, or camping a few times at a nearby campground, helps you look real talented on the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also just picked up a 2011 aspen sentry but haven't used it because I just got the bike and haven't put the hitch on it yet. It has the window shades that allow the windows to be opened a bit while it rains. I am still worried about making the wiring to work. I had the 2010/11 harnes and module installed on the bike and today the 2010 trailer pole harness arrived. I sur hope everything goes ok!
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I also just picked up a 2011 aspen sentry but haven't used it because I just got the bike and haven't put the hitch on it yet. It has the window shades that allow the windows to be opened a bit while it rains. I am still worried about making the wiring to work. I had the 2010/11 harnes and module installed on the bike and today the 2010 trailer pole harness arrived. I sur hope everything goes ok!
    I separated the right and left brake lights on the Aspen, and it works with a 2011 module. Your first step will be to test the module output with a voltmeter or test light. If worst comes to worst, you will have amber turn brake combination lights, without doing any mods. That is legal in Michigan (but could be confusing). Check your state laws.

We can work this out. PM me if you get stuck and we'll swap numbers and email addresses to work out the details.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default trailer

We have a Lees-ure Lite camper . Love it ,easy setup and pulls great with spyder RTS.Did a great trip last year into Quebec.Maine,Vermount and new York state. 4200 km. Highly recomended.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    We will help you get through it!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    We have the Aspen Sentry, a friend has the Bunkhouse Li'l Bit. All the tent camper are slick! Get the one that suits your needs the best. Watch the cargo capacity carefully. There is usually more room available than the towing capacity of the Spyder will allow. Adding a full 40-80 pound cooler, and maybe a spare tire , gets you near that 400 pound limit in a hurry.
    i saw that camper my wife and i fell in love with it it seems you like how does the spyder handle with it i really like just like the one we tow withcar

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigrc2 View Post
    i saw that camper my wife and i fell in love with it it seems you like how does the spyder handle with it i really like just like the one we tow withcar
    The camper tows great with the Spyder, if it is properly loaded. The camper hurts my mileage more than my RT-622 does, but it tows equally well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

yup the camper kills the miles per gallon but it makes up for it in hotel costs.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm 6-3 so we went with the Bunkhouse Queen. Just having the queen mattress is worth it. As with all others, tows like a dream.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

where does the t.v. go in these things and wheres the toilet/shower and fridge/oven at..lol

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No joke. We miss having the luxuries (galley, etc.) of our Coleman but it was just too heavy for Spyder.