Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cb radio vs 2 way radio.

Looking at something for bike to bike communication that actually works. These scala riders are no where near loud enough for passenger to driver, and even quieter on Bluetooth cell phone calls. I need to be able to talk to others in my group on rides. Also need to be able to talk to my passenger.
    I have an RT-AC. From what I understand, for the can am factory cb, I'm looking at:
    The cb & comm system ($830) and the entertainment harness ($115). Given I already have the am fm iPod radio, do I really need the entertainment harness. I'd have thought that would have been required for the radio. Can I use non cam-am headsets?
    Are there other options that allow bike to bike and driver/passenger communication? I was looking at one of the smaller midland radios which is much less expensive, but that seems to lack the possibility of driver/passenger communication.
    2 way radios are much less expensive... But I guess don't necessarily have an open "highway channel". Any reason I should go cb instead of 2 way radio or vice versa? It seems with the high cost of the cb equipment, can am really doesn't want you talking to other people.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

For the BRP CB/Intercom system, the Entertainment Harness is required. J&M makes headsets that work with the BRP setup. J&M also makes a CB/Intercom system I installed on my wife's '08 GS. I think it was called 2003 CASPY, or something like that. Anyway, it also has Weather Band and an Aux input to allow you to attach another audio source. Not certain is it is still available, but might be.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default J&M

I just put the J&M Audio CB on 2 bikes, RT SE5 and SM5. I had to make the mounts but the intercom system works great on these. I have one on my RSS and the wife and I have no problem communicating. With the intercom it is fully adjustable for volume and it is a hot mike all the time. We ride with a group of 8 bikes and 6 of us have CB's so it is better when we need to stop or whatever. These RT's are using the BRP antenna's with J&M Audio CB's. Total cost with CB, antenna, headsets and connector cord was $675.
    Last edited by OneBadPenny; 05-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadPenny View Post
    I just put the J&M Audio CB on 2 bikes, RT SE5 and SM5. I had to make the mounts but the intercom system works great on these. I have one on my RSS and the wife and I have no problem communicating. With the intercom it is fully adjustable for volume and it is a hot mike all the time. We ride with a group of 8 bikes and 6 of us have CB's so it is better when we need to stop or whatever. These RT's are using the BRP antenna's with J&M Audio CB's. Total cost with CB, antenna, headsets and connector cord was $675.
    Having installed the BRP system, I would guess the J&M system is much easier.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the J&M set-up...works GREAT!!!!

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

I will second the comment from the OP on the bluetooth communications being quiet. I just bought a set of Scala G9 and am totally unimpressed with their volume, performance, sound quality, etc., and the Cardo community website leaves a LOT to be desired IMO - very buggy. For some reason it just insists that I live in some town named with a P = I change it and then it just reverts back or even just selects another town altogether. Cant do anything else on the website at all on either a MAC or a PC.

Spyder Garage

On my scala riders the volume adjustment beeps are deafening but you can't hear a damn thing.

On the j&m cb radio mentioned above, I don't particularly relish the idea of mounting such a huge thing to my handlebars. Do any of the headsets have a push to talk button that will strap to the handlebars so I can mount the radio itself elsewhere?

Spyder Garage

Many times a low volume situation with a comm system is caused by improper placement of the headset earpieces. They need to be located right over the ear canal opening for best results. If you are having volume issues, check your headphone location and move them a bit if needed. Same goes for microphones, BTW. They need to be right ovber your lips, close, but not touching (or barely touching).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Many times a low volume situation with a comm system is caused by improper placement of the headset earpieces. They need to be located right over the ear canal opening for best results. If you are having volume issues, check your headphone location and move them a bit if needed. Same goes for microphones, BTW. They need to be right ovber your lips, close, but not touching (or barely touching).
    This is true. The best method is to hook everything up & attach to the audio source BEFORE mounting them in the helmet. You then hold the speakers directly against the ears, move them around until you find the "sweet spot", or the best placement for your ears. Then, when installing them in the helmet, you know what you're looking for as you make adjustments in speaker placement. No guess work.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

As I said, the volume beeps you get when adjusting the volume up and down are fine, and actually deafening at higher levels. This should tell me speaker placement is good. However, it doesn't matter how high I turn up the volume up on the headset or the audio sources, the audio sources are impossible to hear if the bike is moving at all, or even running. I am of the opinion something about Bluetooth limits the volume as I have the same problem on my in ear hands free set with multiple phones/audio sources.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Other Options

I am waiting on delivery of the new Scala Rider G9 headsets. They are supposed to resolve a lot of the issues the G4 and older sets had. I think the release date is around 10 May.

Another option would be FRS/GMRS radios. You would need to resolve the headset connection issue as I do not think they come available with bluetooth.

The 3rd option requires a license. Yaesu makes a very small VHF/UHF ham radio tranceiver that is bluetooth and designed for bikes & ATVs. I'm probably going to pick one of those up next week at the hamradio convention in Dayton. Both the wife and I are licensed hams.
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default Scala G4

I'm not sure why y'all are having problems with the G4s... I've had a set for 2 years and they work great. No system is perfect, and bluetooth is very limited in a group, but between rider & passenger these have been fantastic... the radio function sucks tho.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the non-BRP CB setup!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I agree that the earpiece placement is critical. I have the Q2's and I've used them in two different helmets. I had to adjust and play with earpiece placement on both but when I got them right they had plenty of volume. I did have other problems with them, though, so I contacted Cardo, they e-mailed me a return authorization and when their tests found the units defective, they shipped me a new set. If you're sure the earpieces are properly placed, contact Cardo and I bet they'll replace them.

Cotton