Spyder Garage

Default Been thinking.....

Hey,
    New to this site as I am toying with the idea of buying a Spyder. My background is that I have rode Harleys for the last 30 years. Busted hip 10 years ago kind of made me get off two wheels 2 years ago. I have a '98 Ultra Classic with a Voyager kit on it. It rides good for what it is but still not really in the comfort zone. So, I guess what I would like is a unbiased version of pros and cons of Spyderdom. Would be good to hear from those who have made the switch from two wheels or former traditional trikers. Thanks!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to this site. It's an awesome place to get the answers. You'll have a lot of responses to your question as there are many who have left 2 wheels to go to three.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you are lucky that you live close to the greatest Spyder dealer - Cowtown in Cuba. Take a ride up there and go for a test drive. Len and the gang will take very good care of you. I never rode 2 wheels but I've got 35,000 fantastic miles on my 2010 RT-SM5 and I love it. I did test the HD TriGlide and in my opinion there is no comparison in the handling of the two. The RT is a super comfortable touring machine.

Oh, you won't get an unbiased opinion here as we are all Spyderlovers!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

zrc

Default Welcome

First and foremost welcome to the site, and congrats on being a good student of bikes / trikes / spyders and looking and reading before jumping to conclusions!

I am a new member of the spyder community, started my journey into this kind of amusement in October of last year and am floating at almost 11,000 miles. I hadnt riden on 2 since late 2005 / early 2006. The spyder is a completely different experience. Not in a bad way, just hard to compare it to 2 wheels or a traditional trike in my opinion.

I think you should test drive all the options you are considering and find out what is tailored to your style and needs, if that is a spyder we would welcome you for sure! I am sure plenty of the more seasoned and better people here will offer better information than I will. I would just like to say welcome, and let you know that in my opinion the Spyder is safe, agile and fun. It also can go fast, and I have yet to fall over on mine

Spyder Garage

Default Me2

Quote Originally Posted by I No U Rider View Post
    Hey,
    New to this site as I am toying with the idea of buying a Spyder. My background is that I have rode Harleys for the last 30 years. Busted hip 10 years ago kind of made me get off two wheels 2 years ago. I have a '98 Ultra Classic with a Voyager kit on it. It rides good for what it is but still not really in the comfort zone. So, I guess what I would like is a unbiased version of pros and cons of Spyderdom. Would be good to hear from those who have made the switch from two wheels or former traditional trikers. Thanks!
    I'll be eagerly watching your thread as I'm in the same boat so to speak. I have an 08 Ultra Classic I'm going to sell this summer so I've been lurking here for a while reading and learning.
    Good luck with your search!
    Doc

Spyder Garage

Test drive is the best advice. I think if you try it you will like it. A few of us are riding because we are not able to do two wheels any more.

The is a great ryde. I have had three and have over 50,000 miles on the .

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Using the term "unbiased" was kind of a joke-I mean it's not Spydersrok.com! I have come to realize with just looking today that Cuba which is an hour or so east of me is a major spyder web.

Spyder Garage

I made the switch from a Harley Softtail Deluxe to the Spyder due to surgeries in my back that left me with limited range of motion. I absolutely love the Spyder and would not go back. Yes at times I miss the leaning into curves, BUT.... on the Spyder it is so much more fun. Power steering, once you get on feet do not go back to the ground until you climb off, it has REVERSE.... no more please give me a push back...the power and saftey features build into the Spyder ....well there are not words to describe. I no longer pucker up when it rains nor when I have to go into or on gravel.

Yes it takes a while to get comfortable with the switch from leaning to steering. It took me about 2,000 miles until I was very comfortable with the difference. I was a hard core Harley rider... rode a few times to Sturgis, etc. Since then I have ridden the Spyder to Cody, WY and back and in a few weeks will be leaving on a 3,000+ mile ride to the west (SD, Wyoming, Montanta, Yellowstone, Utah, 4 Corners, NM and then ending up in Durango for the owners event. I have been riding Spyders for 3 years now and cannot say enough good about them.

Seriously, get in touch with Len at Cowtown in Cuba MO. He can answer all your questions, you can go visit and see for yourself. Len has done so many enhancements to the Spyder with Elka Shocks, and other performance items that no other dealer can match.

Congratulations on finding this site and hope to soon see you on a Spyder. Keep us posted

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

I haven't ridden 2 wheels as long as you, but came from a 2 wheeler to the Spyder and can say that as far as handling goes there isn't much comparison, other than not having a cage around you.
    The Spyder handles like a machine in its own class. Probably the hardest adjustment going from 2 to 3 wheels was not having a front brake lever to squeeze, and the 2nd hardest was having to actually push/pull the handlebars in the twisties instead of just leaning - I still miss that. But the positives of converting to the Spyder infinitely outway the negatives. I no longer (or very rarely) have to worry about:
    • Gravel in the road (other than going slower so as not to cause the gravel to get caught in the belt or cause undercarriage damage)
    • Gravel in corners
    • Putting my feet in oil on the road at stop lights/signs
    • Parking on uneven surfaces, or sloped parking lots/driveways
    • Burning my pant legs on the pipe
    • Potholes
    • Some idiot tapping my bike and causing it to tip over

I'm sure there are more, but these were the few that came to mind first. I can honestly say that my riding pleasure has increased exponentially by not having to worry about the above items.

I agree with everyone else and highly recommend you take a test ride, or rent one for a day if you can. Sometimes a test ride is not long enough to get the true feel of it.
    Good Luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to our little party; no matter what you're riding!
    on finding the best source of information regarding Spyders in the Universe! (Can I say that?? )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have been riding 2 wheels for the better part of 40+ yrs and the majority of them have been Harleys. In 2010 I had a Harley Deuce, Wide Glide and a 2009 Ultra Classic fully loaded. I got to a point where I got tired of foot walking in stop and go traffic, balancing the weight trying to push it backwards especially in gravel and the huge amount of heat that came from the engine and exhaust just to name a few. It got to where it was a chore just to back it out of the garage, so I hardly rode them. So I gave the Deuce to my son, sold the Wide Glide and traded in the Ultra Classic and bought the 2010 RTS-SM5 since then I have had no regrets and ride my Spyder daily and I dont think I would ever go back to two wheels again. It took about 1500 miles to really get used to how they handle but after you figure out not to fight it they are a delight to drive. On this forum you will find a vast source of information and I find the majority of folks are extremely happy with there machines as am I. Good luck in your decision.

Spyder Garage

The idea of "me" not being the reverse is pretty appealing.
    1 Lab
    1 Pit
    1 Wife

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gln2 View Post
    Good luck in your decision.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Slightly more biased answers in this thread compared to the one from last week. We love the Spyder, but we aren't going to knock other brands and styles as some other riders might. Give it a test drive and remember, it gets you in the wind like a motorcycle, but it isn't a motorcycle. It handles differently. Keep that in mind.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

I think you will very much enjoy the Spyder experience. You'll not find a better group of people on the planet (though we do scrap from time to time). And you've got a dealer to die for in Cuba, MO as well.

I purchased the Spyder as much as a curosity as anything else in July of 2007 (took delivery in Jan 2008). I own a Suzuki Boulevard M109R, one of the best 2 wheeled rides I've ever had (and I've had a few).

Though I still dearly love 2 wheels and I can still ride 2 wheels, I hardly ever take my 109 for a spin. I love my Spyder that much.

The Spyder has gotten a bad rap as an 'Old Man's Ride' or 'It's the last resort for people who can't ride 2 wheels anymore', bla, bla bla. But the truth is, the Spyder is every bit the thrill of 2 wheels, just different.

No one can guarantee that you'll fall in love with the Spyder, but my money is on just that.

There is a bit of a learning curve for some coming off 2 wheels. The Spyder may feel twitchy or 'Just Not Right'. But that is because the Spyder is so much more responsive than any 2 wheeled machine. And even if it takes a few miles, once you get the feel, you'll be slicing and dicing like you never did before.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting

Ok, so give me the scoop on manual vs. semi-auto shifting?
    1 Lab
    1 Pit
    1 Wife

Spyder Garage

"The Spyder has gotten a bad rap as an 'Old Man's Ride' or 'It's the last resort for people who can't ride 2 wheels anymore', bla, bla bla. But the truth is, the Spyder is every bit the thrill of 2 wheels, just different."

Way past giving a rip what people think as I am all about ride comfort and enjoyment now.

1 Lab
    1 Pit
    1 Wife

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I No U Rider View Post
    Ok, so give me the scoop on manual vs. semi-auto shifting?
    SM 5: Just like what you're used to...

SE 5: The paddles... Lots of fun! You have to thumbyour way up through the gears, but it'll downshift for you and leave you in first gear at any stop sign or stop light that crops up in your way... It's an rpm sensing rig...

Spyder Garage

Default se5

you can literally hammer the throttle wide open and just hit the up till top gear without letting off its a very fast reaction time way faster than anyone i know with a clutch

it auto down shifts all the way to 1 as you stop

it will NOT let you up-shift if you are going to slow not to lug the motor

zrc

SE5 = lazy and fun and some people would argue you cant hammer it as hard as a manual, I am not sure they are correct

I <3 my SE5. I figured if I can get something that auto downshifts and only requires me to slap my thumb to go up or trigger my index to drop down, heck yea.

Spyder Garage

With the semi-auto you have to manually upshift (paddle shifter) and can downshift manually, or let the machine do it for you. It auto-downshifts once it hits 2,000 RPM (which is too low if you ask me) in any gear. The semi-auto is a godsend when you have to stop quickly because you don't have to worry about pulling in the clutch, just brake hard and hold on.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome !

Welcome,... and all I can say is you're close enough to the BEST dealer around......."CowTown USA" - Cuba, Mo. ...... GO FOR A TEST RIDE !! Ask for .... Len ...he'll be happy to take care of you, and he is one of the few that can answer any questions you have. Good Luck and have fun !!