Spyder Garage

Default Code 1282.....Brake Failure

Parking brake light won't go out, although the park brake clearly engages and disengages...you can feel the pedel go down/up. Full orange dash light flashing "brake failure".

Was away from home and it drove and felt normal during the course of several stops I made to run errands.

The fluid is slightly above the full mark; could this be the problem? I've never added any fluid so as far as I know its like it was when I bought it new last summer.

RR Springfield (1 mile South of Cantrall) Illinois
    Spyder Garage

Default 1282 Error

C1282 VCM Brake Failure (Low pressure detected) Possible hydraulic circuit leak Check hydraulic brake circuit for possible fluid leak. Check Brake Fluid...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Without Trailer
    With Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ed. Brake fluid is full, no drips on garage floor, pedal feels normal. Am thinking it has something to do with parking brake as that light stays on after I hit the button and it releases the brakes. Gonna take it in today without an appt to see if they can work it in.

ted

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did your warning Parking Brake Bleeper still work

I have the following problem ref the Parking Brake on my Spyder RT - S SE5 2010 Model

Parking Brake Bleeper not working - Parking brake still working normally

With reference to the Operators Manual

Applying Parking Brake

With the vehicle stopped, press switch
    to apply the parking brake. The brake
    indicator lamp will flash.

At present if I switch off without selecting the Electronic Switch for the Parking Brake the Brake indicator light flashes to indicate the Parking Brake has been set on when it fact it hasn't been set
    There should also be a warning bleeper lasting for 20 secs to warn you the parking brake is not on

Now when I switch off without selecting the parking brake I have no audio warning (no bleeper) the parking brake has not been selected

If I switch the parking brake on the light still flashes and the parking brake engages as per normal

I have checked for any active codes in the cluster and there is none showing

When I posted this earlier is was suggested the Brake fluid may need topping up - I added some and for a while about 2-3 days all was well but the problem has come back

Interested to find out what your dealer finds and if it get's fixed

Due to take mine for a service soon and maybe your experience may point my dealer in the right direction

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As stated the 1282 error refers low pressure, because you have no visible leaks and are are taking it to the dealer you may want to have the dealer re-bleed the brakes. This was common on earlier models.

Spyder Garage

If I turn it off without setting the brake it still beeps.

I think low pressure is the likely culprit; in fact I spoke to the mechanic last sat about my pedal going too far down, compared to two other Can Am's I've ridden. Give it a pump and it comes up. He told me then to make an appt and he'd go over the brake system to see as some were like mine and others not; it was a situation they were aware of without a definitive fix. I have an appt first thing friday morn and hope its something he can fix while I wait. Will let you all know how it comes out.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=ulflyer;448432]If I turn it off without setting the brake it still beeps.

I think low pressure is the likely culprit; in fact I spoke to the mechanic last sat about my pedal going too far down, compared to two other Can Am's I've ridden. Give it a pump and it comes up. He told me then to make an appt and he'd go over the brake system to see as some were like mine and others not; it was a situation they were aware of without a definitive fix. I have an appt first thing friday morn and hope its something he can fix while I wait. Will let you all know how it comes out.[/QUO Just had the same thinbg happen to me yesterday. had an appt. today anyway for 27,000 mile service. Mechanic said the code showed low pressure, but I probably took care of it by topping off fluid, but the light and brake failure warning would not go out until he cleared it on budds. Last time this happened a year and a half ago the light went out as soon as I put the fluid in. Drove abot 60 miles after todays service, everything is ok(so far!) Hope it is that easy for you.

Spyder Garage

Default Results of Shop Visit

They pulled the brakes, examined everything, found no stuck calipers or bad O rings, then bled the system. Its now working as it should. No more mushy brake like i've had since I bought it. Dealer called BRP but since there were no mechanical issues, they wouldn't cover the costs so I paid the bill. However, I do intend to write BRP a letter explaining in more detail why I think they should cover the costs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    They pulled the brakes, examined everything, found no stuck calipers or bad O rings, then bled the system. Its now working as it should. No more mushy brake like i've had since I bought it. Dealer called BRP but since there were no mechanical issues, they wouldn't cover the costs so I paid the bill. However, I do intend to write BRP a letter explaining in more detail why I think they should cover the costs.
    Glad you got it fixed, good luck with the letter to BRP. Keep us informed what results you get, I had to pay for mine also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Is this still under waranty? They should pay. The price range for an RT is about the same as a Ford Mustang- V6 thru V8 Special -???
    Ever think about the comparative Price and what it could Buy?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I did get a rash of shatt from the Svc Mngr that if I had had it serviced by them rather than doing my own servicing (I hadn't touched the brakes) the brakes would have been serviced by them and thus covered and that these things are not like cars, they have to be serviced differently, etc, etc. Well, one thing they said is right; they sure as hell aint like cars, nor motorcycles either, and are far too technical and persnickety for my taste. I don't have deep enough pockets to shell out hundreds every few thousand miles to dealers.

BTW, I sent an email to BRP pointing out that I have a service record from the dealer from last August and then in September asked about it on this forum. Service said it was fine, some folks on the forum said it was like theirs, others said not. Having just bought it in late June, I think that should be ample proof that it came from factory that way. We'll see what they do about it.

Got a phone call from BRP 8 May and they sang the same song as the dealer; " if you'd had all the service work done by the dealer the brakes would have been fixed earlier!" They didn't really want to hear that it had been this way since I got it.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 05-09-2012 at 07:32 AM.