Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Tire wear !

Only 4700 miles since new and both front tires have wear on the inside tread, the right a little more then the left.....any suggestions ?

photo.jpgphoto1.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKnight View Post
    Only 4700 miles since new and both front tires have wear on the inside tread, the right a little more then the left.....any suggestions ?

photo.jpgphoto1.jpg
    Mine did the same found it was toe out quite a bit

Spyder Garage

Alignment recently?? Did your old tires exhibit the same type of wear pattern??
    Last edited by IGETAROUND; 04-28-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Let me clarify, these are original tires with only 4700 miles on the bike.

Spyder Garage

pg 127 OM

TIRE TREAD WEAR

1. Tread-wear limit indicatorA. Appropriate tread depthB. Minimum tread depth, replace tire

It is normal to see uneven wear on tires depending on how the vehicle is drivenand road conditions. The front tiresexternal or internal edges and the reartire center tread will wear unevenlydepending on if the vehicle is drivensmoothly or aggressively.

Tire Rotation (Front)

Rotate front tires when tread depth reaches 4mm (5/32 in). This will maximize

tire life.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 04-28-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I dont mean to pirate the thread. I'm assuming that to rotate the front tires that they have to be remounted and balanced again, and if one was using Ride-On would the cost of doing all that be worth the additional tire wear that you may get???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    pg 127 OM

TIRE TREAD WEAR

1. Tread-wear limit indicatorA. Appropriate tread depthB. Minimum tread depth, replace tire

It is normal to see uneven wear on tires depending on how the vehicle is drivenand road conditions. The front tiresexternal or internal edges and the reartire center tread will wear unevenlydepending on if the vehicle is drivensmoothly or aggressively.

Tire Rotation (Front)

tire life.
    I have 2 spyders the first one wore like this about the same miles, weight in the frunk with soft shock settings will add to this pattern right tires will always wear more due to the crown in the road but bottom line is the front is toe out like my first spyder was i aligned it put some michelin defenders on and triple the miles later they look new, the stock tires just like on any new rig are the cheepest thing they can use to get it out the door, the car magazines even say that the manufactures turn new tires on a lathe after mounting them so that they are true and round they do this so there new cars are smooth and they don't pay claims for thump thumps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    pg 127 OM

TIRE TREAD WEAR

Tire Rotation (Front)

tire life.
    Mine wore evenly on the inside and I rotated at 8 thousand and got 9 more thousand for 17,000.
    Hoping the Elka,s have changed the height somewhat and Maybe they will wear more even?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE WEAR CONT'D

I DIDN'T REALIZE YOU HAD AN RT BUT I DON'T THINK IT MATTERS. IF YOUR SPYDER IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY MAKE THEM CHECK THE ALIGNMENT AND CORRECT IF NECESSARY.....i THINK YOUR WEAR IS CHAMBER RELATED THOUGH.....EVERYTING ELSE i SAID APPLIES MORE SO BECAUSE YOUR SPYDER WEIGHS MORE....MIKE

Spyder Garage

Yes it is an RT and it is still under warranty, going in next week for inspection and I am going to have them check the tire issue.
    Just wanted to get some feedback before i took it in......

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I have 2 spyders the first one wore like this about the same miles, weight in the frunk with soft shock settings will add to this pattern right tires will always wear more due to the crown in the road but bottom line is the front is toe out like my first spyder was i aligned it put some michelin defenders on and triple the miles later they look new, the stock tires just like on any new rig are the cheepest thing they can use to get it out the door, the car magazines even say that the manufactures turn new tires on a lathe after mounting them so that they are true and round they do this so there new cars are smooth and they don't pay claims for thump thumps
    The Michelin defenders you put on your front, are they directional or can they be rotated. Tried to ask this in PM but could not.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Spyder View Post
    The Michelin defenders you put on your front, are they directional or can they be rotated. Tried to ask this in PM but could not.
    they are non directional it will be a long time before they need rotated

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

I would say an alignment is needed. Not sure if warranty will cover it. Pretty hard to know if a curb was hit or not but I have over 13,000 miles and my front tires look new. The back one was done at 12,000 miles.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have 2200 miles on my RT and I just measured both fronts inside and outside all readings were 7/32.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I only get 8 to 10 k out of my rear tires but my front tire lasted 27,000 and was not at the wear bars. It seems that rapid wear must be an alignment issue and not part of the nature of the spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKnight View Post
    Yes it is an RT and it is still under warranty, going in next week for inspection and I am going to have them check the tire issue.
    Just wanted to get some feedback before i took it in......
    If they tell you it's normal and you feel like a trip to Accord, NY, I will help you out. Definately to much to-out and possibly a camber issue. I can help with tires also if you need them.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Default FRONT TIRE WEAR

27,000 MILES on front tires that has to be some kind of record !!!!!!!.....Mike......Has anyone gotten more on OEM's

Spyder Garage

I would think you have the record.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

With the second set we will see if it was luck or if I got the spyder with the correct front end set up. I wish I could do better with the rear!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine did that too and I got 2 new tires and an alignment. It was all under warrenty! You need to do that because it shouldn't be wearing like that!

Quote Originally Posted by memphisdan View Post
    With the second set we will see if it was luck or if I got the spyder with the correct front end set up. I wish I could do better with the rear!

Spyder Garage

We'll find out, my dealer is pretty good.....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have 25,400 on the original front tires and they look like they have quite a few miles left in them. I wore out 2 OEM rear tires in just over 14,000 miles but now have 11,000 miles on a Kumho Ecsta with pretty good tread left on it. My guess is that you have a pretty serious alignment problem.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

JMHO...It needs an alignment check. If it meets spec, have them add a couple of mm more toe-in. A heavy rider, or frequent passenger load can cause the RT to toe out too much. Adjustment is much like a race car...the factory spec is just a starting point. Note: this is not a factory approved solution.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default OEM TIRE RECORD

Bikeguy, I think you are headed for the new mileage record.....please keep us informed this is very interesting....Mike...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stealth11 View Post
    I have to believe the toe is wrong to cause that much wear. The adjustments have to be made with full weight on the wheels as the toe changes as the machine rises and falls. I would guess 1/4" toe in would be about right.

I expect my RT's (not spyder) front tires to go 50-60k as they are still like new at 18k & 22k right now. I run 3/8" positive toe but have 1 degree camber so I have to run just a bit more than the spyders.
    1/4" toe-in (on the ground) is way too much for almost any vehicle with radial tires...and certainly for the Spyder. Something around 3/32" (unloaded) works much better.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 05-22-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!