Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My dealer hates these forums...LOL

Stopped in at my dealer to make an appt. to have a few things checked : excess current draw , gas cannister smell . Told him I had problems with the aforementioned and what tests should be done tp hopefully solve the problems. He asked me where I came up with these tests aand I told him. He got just a tad irate because the forums are causing them problems because now people are coming in asking questions . He said people running the forums should let the mechanics do the troubleshooting and that BRP has given them orders to not even frequent the forums. I then asked him if he was aware of any testing procedures from BRP for the problems and he said no. I pulled out my piece of paper that I had copied the notes from and told him to look at them. He grumbled but read them and then went to the BRP site and searched and LO AND BEHOLD....there were the same comments about testing and repairs needed to solve.

I told him I thought this just might give him an edge the next time someone brought in a bike with the same symptoms as mine. His reply........I'd have found it sooner or later. Whats with people and the attitudes ? I wasn't trying to show him up or aNything and wasn't being cocky , just trying to offer some time saving advice. If his attitude hadn't changed I'd have shown him real attitude and just marched in to the managers office. I don't want to upset them because they're close and the next two closest dealers ( same company ) have bad ratings. Next closest is a new shop and just started servicing CAN AMs and it's 1-1/2 hrs away.

I didn't tell him about the other i9tems I wanted checked which I found out about on the forum but just asked him if there was any thing else from BRP concderning mine that needed done. Yep brake and throttle body check plus another brake problem that came out last fall. I asked him why I wasn't notified of these and he didn't have an answer....more confidence in the dealership.

By the same token there's Honda dealership nearby that has really been giving bad customer service and the word of mouth results are costing them a lot of business. I guess dealerships maybe think riders don't talk to one another ??

If it weren't for this forum I wouldn't know any of the things that BRP has said needed looked at. THANKS to all forum users asking questions and those that answer the questions.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    Stopped in at my dealer to make an appt. to have a few things checked : excess current draw , gas cannister smell . Told him I had problems with the aforementioned and what tests should be done tp hopefully solve the problems. He asked me where I came up with these tests aand I told him. He got just a tad irate because the forums are causing them problems because now people are coming in asking questions . He said people running the forums should let the mechanics do the troubleshooting and that BRP has given them orders to not even frequent the forums. I then asked him if he was aware of any testing procedures from BRP for the problems and he said no. I pulled out my piece of paper that I had copied the notes from and told him to look at them. He grumbled but read them and then went to the BRP site and searched and LO AND BEHOLD....there were the same comments about testing and repairs needed to solve.

I told him I thought this just might give him an edge the next time someone brought in a bike with the same symptoms as mine. His reply........I'd have found it sooner or later. Whats with people and the attitudes ? I wasn't trying to show him up or aNything and wasn't being cocky , just trying to offer some time saving advice. If his attitude hadn't changed I'd have shown him real attitude and just marched in to the managers office. I don't want to upset them because they're close and the next two closest dealers ( same company ) have bad ratings. Next closest is a new shop and just started servicing CAN AMs and it's 1-1/2 hrs away.

I didn't tell him about the other i9tems I wanted checked which I found out about on the forum but just asked him if there was any thing else from BRP concderning mine that needed done. Yep brake and throttle body check plus another brake problem that came out last fall. I asked him why I wasn't notified of these and he didn't have an answer....more confidence in the dealership.

By the same token there's Honda dealership nearby that has really been giving bad customer service and the word of mouth results are costing them a lot of business. I guess dealerships maybe think riders don't talk to one another ??

If it weren't for this forum I wouldn't know any of the things that BRP has said needed looked at. THANKS to all forum users asking questions and those that answer the questions.
    I ride 1 1/2 hrs. for that very reason. It's well worth going an extra 50 miles to get the job done right by people who care. You bet bikers talk to each other.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoardss

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i totally agree with you when i was in the shop on friday for my 3k service i said please dont hook up buds as i just had the new updates put in the day before,well like a rock they didn't listen and my fuel/temp gauge stopped working i told them there's a new new update that came out on 13th that fixes this,how do you know anything about it they asked i said well have you ever heard of website called.s.l. there answer was yes i said well there you go if you would just bother to read this site from time to time you'd know about these things as we do.so they went back into there office and downloaded the newest update came back out hooked buds up and wham fixed,the mech wasn't to happy that they weren't informed by brp about it and it came from a customer. you'd think that all these can-am dealers would be damn grateful to us for helping them.. not trying to do there job or how to do it. but damn thats truly just not grateful dealer/customer supporter. if i had the computer and new how to put in updates i would do it and save myself some air because it's like talking to brick wall sometimes.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

These fossils eventually perish...like all dinosaurs. Although I believe strongly in letting competent techs troubleshoot for themselves, and in not telling the dealer how to approach a problem unless they ask...if they have already ignored an issue, or they return the Spyder with "no problem found" written on the work order, I do get into specifics.

My dealer has a service advisor and other staff members that check SpyderLovers frequently, and they have even called me to get the latest scoop on an issue. BRP monitors the forums, too. Sometimes, I am ahead of my dealer, and they will look up the tech bulletin right away if I mention it. Not all dealers are stone-aged relics trying to avoid work. Some of them really do care.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

pitbull

I like the forms, but if you don't know what your doing I could see a dealer not liking them,,,,,,, my suggestion, get it, learn asmuch as they can, do as right as you can by people...... Everyone's got a network, whether it be Spyderlovers, Facebook, or some other type. Everyone's got a network

Spyder Garage

Default Customer Service

Kind of strange when you think about it. Here's a relatively NEW product with a devoted following of owners who want nothing more than what they paid for. From a dealer network that certainly needs THEIR business. One would think we've been in a downturn economy long enough that business owners who previously DIDN'T GET IT would be waking to the fact that their survival relies more on customer service today - than it has in decades. Sad!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer

I have been going to this dealer in Lancaster for years and never had any trouble with them. May be the way you tell and not ask them to check it out is your problem. I read the forums also and talk with them, if they had received any information about this item or problems on your Spyder. I work on my own and love working on it and when I need the BUDDS than there is realy a problem to be solved. One thing you do not tell a mechainic what to do to fix the problem, Would you like some one come in your place of work and tell you to do your job? It is good that we all talk about and try to repair our through this Forum for it gives us a head start on the our problem child.
    This sounds as though this person had problems with the Honda dealer also in this area for his way of getting things fixed and asking to fix it is not nice way of getting it done.
    The Honda and Harley people are the same company and I wonder if he has trouble with his Harley also?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
    I like the forms, but if you don't know what your doing I could see a dealer not liking them,,,,,,, my suggestion, get it, learn asmuch as they can, do as right as you can by people...... Everyone's got a network, whether it be Spyderlovers, Facebook, or some other type. Everyone's got a network
    Your right on point with your dealership and even though I didn't get my bike from you I did buy my trailer at Cowtown. Keep up the good work and thanks for caring.
    States Judy and I have visited so far on the

Spyder Garage

Default Wait a second!

I had the TB update done and the gas gauge failed, are you telling me there is another fix, that fixes this?
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

I've never had a problem with the Honda dealer I mentioned , have never had to take a cycle there , I've just heard a ton of complaints from people that have gone there.The Honda dealer isn't in Lancaster . And never had a Harley so no problems there. Guess maybe I didn't come across correctly .......I wasn't telling him how to fix a problem beforehand , he wasn't even aware of there being the problems I mentioned . I've had my cycle there before and no problems and I've also had it there and didn't get a problem fixed the first time. As of right now I don't have a problem with them , I've been there many times to just chew the fat and get along fine. It just seems that at times they don't want to hear about problems. Plus to say that a strong gas smell is normal is just flat wrong , especially when there is a fix out for it.

Maybe he was just having a bad day .....Lord knows I have them every now and then. I'm just trying to say that the customer isn't always right but then neither is the dealer. But the dealer should listen to the customer if he has something to say .Even the salesman says to let them know if service is hard to get along with . I'm not giving up on them but I won't LET up on them either . Paid a lot of money for the bike , have a warranty and expect them to honor it to the best they can.

PS....have a safe trip to spyderfest, stay dry , warm and safe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Baughman View Post
    I have been going to this dealer in Lancaster for years and never had any trouble with them. May be the way you tell and not ask them to check it out is your problem. I read the forums also and talk with them, if they had received any information about this item or problems on your Spyder. I work on my own and love working on it and when I need the BUDDS than there is realy a problem to be solved. One thing you do not tell a mechainic what to do to fix the problem, Would you like some one come in your place of work and tell you to do your job? It is good that we all talk about and try to repair our through this Forum for it gives us a head start on the our problem child.
    This sounds as though this person had problems with the Honda dealer also in this area for his way of getting things fixed and asking to fix it is not nice way of getting it done.
    The Honda and Harley people are the same company and I wonder if he has trouble with his Harley also?

I remember a time when Doctors were " God" and you never went to one and told the what you had, just how you felt" Those time have change since the Internet. In the case of medicine, patient are a lot better informed now and must take charge of there health care as a partner, a part of a team.

So when did Spyder mechanics become "God". I think the reason they don't like sites like SL is because they can no longer BS their , better informed customer and that intimidates them.

Pretty broad bush . Not all but it seems many. Hey if I made my living turning a wrench ( Irish I had those skills) how comfortable would I be with computers ( integrated in the bike or as a source of information )

Sorry if is sounds like a flame it is not. But don't BS me when I ask for info cause I usually know the answers to my question. I would rather hear "hell I don't know but I'll check it and get back to you.

Flame off
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The problem with "I would have figured it out eventually" is you would have been paying for the time it took to "figure it out"
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    I had the TB update done and the gas gauge failed, are you telling me there is another fix, that fixes this?
    Yes, there is a newer version of BUDS, issued 4/13/12 that fixes the problem. They will have to "remove" the previous update, then reinstall using the latest BUDS version.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default My dealer hates these forums...LOL

My dealer sent me to this site. I probably would have stumbled on to it sooner or later, but the day we bought our RT Limited, we were told to go here and we could find out just about anything we wanted concerning the Spyder.
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

I started using a dealer 92 miles away from home because of just what has been mentioned here. The dealer where I bought my roadster is 1.3 miles from my driveway. You vote with your pocketbook in these cases.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

If I owned a Spyder dealership Spyderlovers would be required reading for all management, sales people, and my best techs. Where else can you find such valuable, street wise information and insight about the product and the people who own them?

The most successful, competent, and highly admired Spyder dealership I know of is Cowtown. Not only does Len read the forum he is a contributor and a sponsor. Now that's a great dealer. If all dealerships were as smart as Cowtown perhaps the rest of us across the country could buy and have our Spyders serviced with confidence.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GOOD DEALERS,BAAD DEALERS, AND DEALERS FROM HELL

Mine is or was the last one of the above...how's this....I brought my spyder in for the DPS recall and they were finally going to fix my parking brake under warranty after 1 1/2 yrs..(they had tried but failed numerous times)...So before I brought it in I removed the right side tupperware so I could see the DPS unit and because I didn't trust them to change it, I scratched it up with a scribe ( you cannot undo the scratches) .When I got the spyder back I was told they changed their mind and wouldn't do the parking brake under warranty because it had expired.....if have a feeling that scratching up the DPS unit really messed with their original plans ?????,.....DO YOU THINK....... I am so glad my warranty has expired....I truly LOVE my spyder but BRP really needs to get their act together with some of the dealers that represent their products.....Carlos cannot hold the ship together all by himself forever......Mike.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    If it weren't for these forums (and I've found Spyderlovers the best) then I would have been in the dark on many issues.

This forum has stopped me from bothering the dealer on numerous occasions.

Riding the brake & causing the dreaded limp home comes to mind.

So, if a dealer believes that these forums cause him problems, that is tantamount to saying knowledge should be kept only a chosen few.
    Obviously on the wrong side of history.

Truth.

If you have heard something about your spyder you should ask the dealer about it, I have found, even in my loud borderline offensive way, that you have to take care of the wrenches that work on your stuff because they do the work and are rarely exposed to a customer that wants their job to be easier.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Even Cowtown was apprehensive of Forums at first, now look at them.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well since I'm even more ignorant about mechanicals than Hogs are about the Sabbath ; I try to stay out of the way and let the dealer do what they need to do... But this forum always gets my head pointed in the right direction so that I can at least ask intelligent-sounding questions.
    If they don't know what I don't know; they can't feed me a line of ...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yes, there is a newer version of BUDS, issued 4/13/12 that fixes the problem. They will have to "remove" the previous update, then reinstall using the latest BUDS version.
    I had 2012-4 TB update done that came out earlier this month and no problems with gas gauge. Do I need to get another update?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I had 2012-4 TB update done that came out earlier this month and no problems with gas gauge. Do I need to get another update?

2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Friendly advice for dealers (if you want to stay in bussiness):
    1. Check daily and download from BossWeb the bulletins, campaigns and updates for RS/RT Spyders and B.U.D.S.
    2. Inform and discussed with BRP about new and repeated Spyder issues and follow-up
    3. Send mechanics to BRP classes
    3. Read forums and social networks
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I work on spyders and use this site and the new site on BRP. I find lots of great info and I understand what the customers are talking about because I can go look it up here too. For me the more info the better. The days of (won't start) just does not work with Spyders. I also can tell customers to come here and read about others that are having the same problems.This is a great site for customers and techs. Thanks Bryan

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlynBryan View Post
    I work on spyders and use this site and the new site on BRP. I find lots of great info and I understand what the customers are talking about because I can go look it up here too. For me the more info the better. The days of (won't start) just does not work with Spyders. I also can tell customers to come here and read about others that are having the same problems.This is a great site for customers and techs. Thanks Bryan
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!